March 7th, 2008

Rendell pushes for joint ticket

Rendell is a supporter of Clinton.

Rendell is a supporter of Clinton.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton supporter and Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell became the latest member of the New York senator's campaign Thursday to raise the prospect of a joint presidential ticket with Barack Obama, saying in an interview that whoever comes out on top in the presidential race should offer the vice presidency to the other.

"I think it’s important that it be offered, and if the loser doesn’t accept, I think the loser can say why," Rendell told the National Journal's Ron Brownstein. "You know, obviously, I’d love to see a Clinton/Obama ticket. But if Senator Obama won, I think his offering it to Senator Clinton would be a great gesture.

"I’m not sure she would take it, I’m not sure he would take it," Rendell also said. " But either way, I think that it would be good if the offer were made."

Rendell's comments follow those of Clinton on Wednesday morning, who told CBS she thinks the contest may be headed for a joint ticket. Terry McAuliffe, a top adviser to Clinton, has also raised the prospect on more than one occasion.

Obama's campaign brushes aside any speculation on the matter as "premature," and some backers of the Illinois senator have suggested the Clinton campaign raises the prospect so voters think a vote for her will come with Obama as well.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Gary of El Centro, Ca

I'd like to see an Obama/Richardson ticket. That would give it regional balance and Richardson would add his executive and foreign policy experience. I was disappointed Richardson didn't come out and endorse Obama prior to Texas, it might have made a difference. And I think Obama should bring Richardson on board now to add new energy to the campaign, and not wait until the convention.

March 7, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  2. ema

Obama/Clinton.........No Way...........Hillary is to negative.....Where is the outrage from Obama that the press is engaging in a double standard relating to his possible role in the Rezko trial and his refunding the $85,000 contributed to his campaign by Rezko- which Obama has always admitted taking. The media makes no mention of Hillary’s role as a witness in Bill’s fraud trial for defrauding Hillary’s largest donor- and Hillary’s refusal to refund the $1.2 million she illegally received from Paul, which she has denied taking from Paul ever since the Washington Post asked her about Paul and his felony convictions from the 1970’s before her first Senate election in 2000?

March 7, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. Nicole

I believe a Clinton/Obama ticket could be unifying ticket as well as give Obama some experience he desperately needs. I think he could be a great President 8 years from now, but for right now we need someone who knows what she's doing to clean up after the Bush mess and get our allies in the world back.

March 7, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  4. Gorbashov, Long Beach, Ca.

HELL NO!!!

BILLARY HAS NO CHANCE OF WINNING THE MOST PLEDGED DELEGATES, AND SHE NEEEDS TO DROP OUT, NOW!!!!

All she will do on the ticket is what McSame can't do, and that is unite the Republicans.

Pls. Hillary for the sake of the country and our party drop out, now!

March 7, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. Frank

Obama has nothing to gain by being her VP .... a Billary administration has no VP. Strickland would be good for that 'position'.

If the superDs take the nomination from Obama, then so what ? Let the Democrats run into their defeat, but for Obama and his movement the fight would go on. It would just take another four years, and then I'd hope that he would run as an Independent, maybe with Bloomberg.

McCain or McClinton, both will blow the next four years and the American People would be REALLY MAD.

March 7, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  6. SLO Bear

Isn't this the same guy who said some people in his state aren't ready for a black president? Beat it, Lurch!

March 7, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  7. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

Clinton supporters:

Because you support Hillary Clinton, you care about experience. Her campaign has told you that experience matters, and, because you want her to win, you have latched onto that as the criteria for selecting a president. So, please don't let that become your basis for selecting a president in the event she doesn't get the nomination. If you do, you will be ignoring the fact that Senator Obama shares many of the same policy positions.

March 7, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  8. Angela

Hillary you will need to DENOUNCE and RENOUNCE Ed Randell’s RACIST REMARKS.

March 7, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  9. ARC

Absolutely not! Since Hillary believes she's back in the game with her apparent "fairytale" wins this past Tuesday–let's go all the way! Let the people decide. If Obama wins, the democrats have my vote this time–if she's anywhere near the ticket: McCain, here I come!

At the rate this is going, it looks like the Republicans will have another 8 years!

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  10. CeeJay

For Obama to ask Clinton to be his VP would be the ultimate in "New School" politics. I don't see how he could do it after how she has run her campaign. For Clinton to ask Obama to be her VP would be the ultimate in "Old School" politics. It is the icing on the mud pie. I don't see how he could accept. This just won't happen!

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  11. Marie

If you want Hillary, you better vote for her because Obama is too pompous to offer it to her if he wins. He will offer it to another black. And then we will have a divisive campaign. He has already divided the country along racial lines. And look at the people he has in his campaign. Samantha Powers the "monster" comment! Do you really want these kinds of advisors running the country?

Hillary should win the nomination – she has won the big states and will win Florida, PA, and Michigan. GO Hillary! She will probably offer it to him???

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. Angela

Hillary you will need to DENOUNCE and REJECT Ed Randell’s RACIST REMARKS.

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  13. Haley Rodman Clemson

New whine in old bottles. The DNC should not let this happen. Obama and Hillary have learned to despise each other and would make an awful presidential team. Obama doesn't need Hillary's baggage and she doesn't want anyone to steal her thunder. This proposal sounds nice when spoken on the stump but is utterly stupid.

March 7, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  14. Bayou Joe

Just love this combo. Mr. No experience coupled with the meanest woman in politics. That's how the Democrats take the presidency.

McCain and whomever for President.

March 7, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  15. MS

Obama would be the best president America has ever had. A pure Democrat,

March 7, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  16. Larry from LA

Rendell why don't you keep your Hillary mouth shut. If they go back on the rules for Florida and Michigan and Hillary wins I sincerely hope that all the Obama supporters vote for McCain, I KNOW I WILL. Let's just change the rules for Hillary. If Obama won Florida and Michigan Hillary would have kept her ego mouth shut.

March 7, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  17. fred.sayre pa

Ed Rendell is an idiot! He's my governor and I say that!

March 7, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. Jen

OBAMA IS DESPERATE. HE WANTS TO BE PRESIDENT BY ALL MEANS AND I AM SURE HE DOESN'T WANT TO CLINTON TO BE INVOLVED.

I WANT CLINTON TO BE PRESIDENT

GO HILLARY!

March 7, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  19. Yeswecan

If counts the millions votes in Florida and Michegan, Senator Clinton already won. Howard Dean made stupid rule that caused the big problem ever for the party.

March 7, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  20. fred

I think that it is funny, how if obama wins the nomination, democrats will vote for mccain and if hillary wins they will vote for mccain. Grow up people and vote for whichever democrat is on the ticket. It isn't fair to punish the nation by having mccain win because you voted for him instead of being loyal to a democrat. GROW UP AND VOTE FOR WHOEVER WINS THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION.

March 7, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  21. clarity

Clinton/Obama 08! ...would be unstoppable!

And although some folks would like to think that Obama's above excepting a VP under Clinton... I think we'll find he's a little more shrewd than folks give him credit for. The opportunity for 2016 as a VP would be just too tempting.

People whom crave power, don't suddenly stop craving it!

March 7, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  22. rich

Senator Obama will need to make a choice on who will be a good fit for president after his 8 years. It still will not be Hillary. But maybe... Speaker Nancy Pelosi

March 7, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  23. Joshua

Obama’s biggest criticism is his lack of experience. I know change is the cornerstone of his candidacy, but he were to apply reason to the notion of change he would realize that as the VP candidate we would almost certainly have 16 years of a Democrat in the White House. I think if he were to accept the VP ticket he would demonstrate that his message is really about the people rather than personal ambition.

March 7, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  24. Phil

As much as it sounds like a dream ticket, regardless of who is on top, it would be a disaster. Lets be real. Do you not see a significant dempgraphic left out of that ticket, and it is also a demographic that historically can be counted on to turn out and vote. We may all agree that it should not be that way, but the reality "is what it is". What state would either candidate bring the other?

I am surprised that Joe Biden isn't in more of the VP speculation. Especially for Obama. He has the foreign policy experience, and all the years in the senate that Obama doesn;t (since 73), but either he isn;t interested or I am missing something.

March 7, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  25. Kareem from Hampton VA

AB,

Do you honestly think Hillary is making her case for VEEP! PLEASE!!! She wants Obama to be VEEP!

I know I know....crazy aint it!

March 7, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |