March 8th, 2008

Clinton, Obama square off in Wyoming caucuses

Obama is looking to regain momentum after tough losses earlier this week.
Obama is looking to regain momentum after tough losses earlier this week.

(CNN) – Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were in Wyoming Friday, wrangling last-minute votes before Saturday's caucuses.

Clinton, speaking at a town rally at Laramie County Community College in Cheyenne, criticized Obama's campaign speeches - and said the country doesn't have any time to waste.

"What you heard from me in this campaign is very specific. I know that there's a difference between speeches and solutions, and I want you to know what I will do if given the great honor of serving you as your president, because I want you to hold me accountable," she said. "I don't want there to be any mistakes here. I don't want there to be any false impressions. I don't think we have any time to waste."

Obama, speaking at a town hall meeting in Casper, criticized Clinton's 2002 vote on Iraq. Video Watch him speak at the Casper rally »

"I will bring this war to an end in 2009, so don't be confused ... when Sen. Clinton is not willing to acknowledge that she voted for war," he said. "I don't want to play politics on this issue, because she doesn't have standing to question my position on this issue."

Wyoming is not typically a stop for Democrats looking for delegates in order to clinch the nomination, but because of the delegate deadlock this year, the numbers could make a difference.

Full story

1. Belinda

I am so saddened by the Clintons’ negative campaign tactics. The goal is to distract voters away from the message of change and unity. However, within the lines of Mrs. Clinton’s own speech she is professing the same message. Shame on you Clintons! I would not vote for the Clintons ever again.

After an effective cry from Mrs. Clinton, the media spins are now aggressively supporting her portrayal of Senator Obama as weak and, as early as this morning, a fading memory. I really hate the games of politics–the games that can spin the characterization a good and honorable man to one of a thief and a liar. I hate the political games that can ignore the facts of perjury and money mismanagement scandals in ones own camp while painting a self-portrait of honesty and trustworthiness. I hate the politics that will define a man’s character and worth by his name or his color only. I hate the political games that pit one race, one gender, and one generation of people against another, and in the end, say, it was all politics, let’s kiss and make up for our party’s sake. I hate the political game players who actually think that party unity is a reality once the hatred has been imbedded.

I hate the political game players that think the citizenry of the nation is too ignorant to decipher and understand their rhetoric. I hate the political analysts who imbed their personal preferences and those of their candidates in their messages to the people. I hate that these same analysts will drive in their nice cars to their home to their nice neighborhoods, where there is plenty of food, where they will examine their stock reports, and hang their freshly laundered shirts next to their $1000 suits and dare to think that what they have done is honorable and just, because only politics.

March 8, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  2. Ana

Obama's campaign is based in a speech made when he had no responsibilty. That is the end of his qualifications, it is incredible to discover an empty record with many "present" votes and dubious personal financial dealings with at least Rezko. What is the excuse this time?

March 8, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  3. iamcanadian

The DNC wants FL and MI to Play by the RULES.

This is a far cry from UNIVERSAL ADULT SUFFRAGE.
    One Man One Vote.
    A Government of the People, by the people and For the People.

Fundamental Democratic principles are being violated.

If you want to play by the rules you should not call the Russian elections unfair.
    Medvedev won by the Rules of the Russian Government.
    Never mind the PEOPLE.

The US should stop claiming to be the masters of Democracy.
    Florida will show the RULERS twice in a decade that US elections do not respect the wish of the people.
    Rather it is decided by the courts, those with big money, and lobyists.

I call the Russian elections unfair because I believe in Democracy.
    I no longer believe in US Democracy.

March 8, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  4. Chris K

People of Wyoming,

Please don't let the politics of fear and negativity influence your vote. Don't let the Clinton war room and its marketing lies stop you from following your heart.

You have a chance to stand for change today.

Join us and we can make the world a better place.

Obama 2008

March 8, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  5. Davis

Given the repeated use of the politics of fear over the past eight years, I hope that the voters in Wyoming and Mississippi have not fallen victims to the Bush (and now Clinton) tactics. It's time for a change, people. Lets lock up this nomination people!

OBAMA 08

March 8, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  6. simple thought ?

she who laughs last, may have the last laugh?

March 8, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  7. enomisa

WHAT IF McCAIN WINS IN NOVEMBER?

This scenario is possible if:
    1. the independent and cross-over vote going to Obama is not a SINCERE vote, But political STRATEGY to knock Hillary (the best choice) out or to prolong the process and increase division.

2. If the Clinton supporters do not back Obama should he be the nominee. This is probable since the actions of the DNC, the caucus system, and the denied/uncounted votes disenfranchised CLINTON supporters.

3. If Obama supporters do not back Clinton should she be the nominee. This is possible based more on hate and spitefulness than on the issues.

EITHER WAY, A McCAIN WIN...But this is worse for the younger Obama supporters than it will be for the older Clinton demographic.
    Just think about it.

March 8, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  8. Grif

If this is a Caucus, I only hope the Security Guards, deal with Security,

and not on sending people away, just because they Vote for Hillary.

March 8, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  9. ABC=Anybody But Clinton

You guys crack me up...TOUGH LOSSES??? HE WON TEXAS!!!! Go look at the delegate count....when you combine primary and caucus delegate counts......OBAMA WON!!!! Oh and by the way......watch him win today too......

March 8, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  10. Sarah

All obama has is his speech at an anti-war rally in 2002 where he took no risks.....and it is so OLD & BORING and has no relevance considering he didn't have the moxi to carry it out in 2004, 2005, 2006, & 2007 when it became politically advantageous for him to finally vote against the war in a position of making REAL CHANGE.

Obama is a fraud: campaign finance flip-flop, NAFTA lies, Iraq lies, exelon, rezko, etc. etc. etc.

March 8, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  11. FPJ

If I were a Senator and the USA president, the UK prime Minister and all the Security agencies tell me that Iraq can use nuclear and chemical weapons against us I would have voted the way Hillary did. Furthermore, it would have been irresponsible to vote otherwise.
    The real villains here are the White House, the security agencies and the British prime minister. One thing is to talk and another is to be responsible for the safety and well being of our people. Hillary's vote was correct given the lies injected by the administration. Put the blame where it belongs, president Bush.

March 8, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  12. gene

Makes one anti war speech, while in the Illinois Senate. Later says he did not know how he would have voted, elected U.S. Senator and has voting "yes" on every funding of the war. Claims to be an expert, with great judgemem, maybe he should have used that judgement, when he purchased that $1,900,000 (thats Million) house with the help of Rezko, who has been indicted fot bribery and corruption. Said that was a "bonehead mistake). I think it was poor judgement or something dishonest.

March 8, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  13. True Democrat

C'mon Wyoming! Make the right choice for your state and the country! Vote for HOPE and CHANGE in 2008! Give Barack Obama another win! Let's keep our momentum going!!!

OBAMA '08!!!

March 8, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  14. kaimu

What a funny story to wake up to.

Just another blunder by a "experienced" candidate. Guess she didn't do her research, quelle surprise?

Turns out the girl in her "3am Red Phone" ad was a Precinct Captain for a caucus in Washington and a hard core Obama supporter.
    Yeah, go team Hillary.

We've got a handle on the young and educated, better do your research.

Barack will continue to take the high road and get out of the "silly season" of the present climate his opponent has chosen.

Go Obama. Obama will win.

Go Wyoming, Cowboy up! and Go Mississippi. Go Obama.
    Good luck,
    Kaimu

March 8, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  15. Nancy

What is with the news media and how it always brings up Hillary's vote for war? It wasn't even our fault that we went to war, it was Iraq's fault.

I'm sorry, a woman can't vote for war without criticism? How sexist is that?

March 8, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  16. Kathy Jackson

Dear Sane Americans
    Hillary is at least 12 years your senior and claims to have all this experience. But her campaign is the most inconsistent mess I've seen. How many times has she "only just begun" already?? How many times does she need to find her voice??? How many do overs does she need?? I can't believe the American people could think she'd even be an adequate president much less a decent one. Just remember, even those who intend to vote for Hillary do like Barack Obama but the reverse is less so and shrinking with every dirty trick she pulls out of her bag. Barack promises transparency but Hillary has made no such promise. In light of her recently sealed college thesis, her omission of being a "Goldwater Girl", unrevealed income taxes and so on, we'd better examine Hillary in our brightest, truest light. I guarantee it'll be ugly.
    Kathy

March 8, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  17. Kentucky

Well, it will be interesting to see what Billary will be up to today in Wyoming. "Halloween Hillary" and her bag of tricks, still has not come forth with her income tax returns.

March 8, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  18. Amit

CNN = Clinton News Network.

The caption for the Obama image is insane. "Obama is looking to regain momentum after tough losses earlier this week." Clinton won Ohio and Rhode Island. Obama won Vermont and he won the Texas Caucus which means he won Texas over Hillary's popular vote of 51% to 48%!

Stop reporting false news.

Obama '08.

March 8, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  19. ernie

obama is for sure a big cry baby why does he want to see her taxes paper what he want to see how much money they make , he should tell the realy truth about resko and his involdment with him . he all about crying now becuase he lost ohio and texas the 2 states he had to win to become the demcrate nomoniee but senice he lost all he can say is its a wash but just incase he dont no this is and im sure he dont no this seince his own soppoters dont no this that it is impossible for him to win with out the super delagtes in the convention just as its is with hillary all it comes down to no is michiagn and fl if they going to revote or what,

plus every keeps say this is hillary irag war how can yall be so foolish, this is bush war he made it out to be all about 9/11when they found that he lied then he change his mind and made it about free the irags

March 8, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  20. Bayou Joe

Same old song. Same old Tune. Talk or Solutions. How about Neither. Where do you two stand on Immigration? How are you going to deal with the Housing Market? What will you do with NAFTA.
    Iran, Korea, Latin America. In my humble opinion, neither one of you is fit to be president.

March 8, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  21. seektruth

Obama08! right on day one!

March 8, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  22. BL-NYC

Senator Obama has been giving us "hope" based on promise that, in reality, there is no way he could keep...
    With all (or any) due respect, he has never done a thing for his state. Never done a thing for our country. Never owned a business and served in a public position for a couple of years... Just not ready yet. Like him, but just not ready. We are in serious trouble as a nation and we need experience to aid us in getting out of war, out of debt and back on track...
    Senator Clinton has given it to us straight from day one. Told us what she will do and how she will do it...

March 8, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  23. 53y/owf

I'm a lifelong democrat, started voting at 18 (the first yr of the 18 y/o vote). I have voted democrat in every election since then.

I am 53 y/o, white, female, college educated and financially secure. I work in healthcare so my job is secure. I continue to vote democrat, less for myself, than for the good of less fortunate americans, the young, and the good of my country.

I was initially willing to vote Clinton OR Obama. The Obama people changed my mind. This election was rigged from day one by the DNC and by the caucus system. The media stayed mum because they are pro-Obama and anti-Hillary and they were enjoying things.

Come November, if Clinton is not on the ballot I will vote my conscience and WRITE her in. I can not vote Republican on ideology and I will not vote for Obama because I can not enable a corrupt primary process by giving the vote to the candidate they installed by unfair and illegal means. I am a proud American who believes in the RIGHT to vote. These 3rd world manipulations have soured me on Obama as a viable option.

March 8, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  24. Martha

OBAMA/EDWARDS '08

DREAM TICKET FOR CHANGE

March 8, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  25. benvictor

Ad Nauseum, he says the word, "change", over and over again. Over and over again, AD NAUSEUM, he says the word change over and over again. Where's the beef? Where is the substance? Oh sorry, when he has no experience and no record of accomplishment, what else can he say. We all have change in our lives every day. We change our clothes every day. We change TV channels. But, he is stuck on this word, "change" and he has no idea how to end his empty rhetoric. How sad, and he wants to be president?

March 8, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |