March 10th, 2008

Clinton-Obama battle heads South

Sen. Barack Obama campaigns in Laramie, Wyoming, over the weekend.
Sen. Barack Obama campaigns in Laramie, Wyoming, over the weekend.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama Monday focused on Mississippi, which holds primaries on Tuesday, while Sen. Hillary Clinton keep her eye on the next big prize on the Democratic calendar, Pennsylvania.

Thirty-three delegates are at stake Tuesday, and in the tight Democratic race, every delegate is critical. CNN estimates that Obama leads Clinton by less than 100 delegates, 1,527 to 1,428. A candidate needs 2,024 delegates to win the nomination. Obama won the Wyoming caucuses Saturday, where he picked up seven delegates. Clinton won five delegates.

Full story

1. Xtina, Chicago, IL

I find the racist posts from people in OH, which according to exit polls showed race played a role in voting for Hillary complain about how many black folks will vote for Obama instead. So I guess when a white person votes for another white person, it's not racist??

March 10, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  2. Paul

Trev:

Obama only needs 46% of the remaining delegates, including superdelegates, to reach the threshold. Hillary needs over 59%. Unless Obama robs a bank between now and June Hillary cannot win. These numbers are according to the RCP numbers which are the most accurate. Good luck!

March 10, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  3. Jim Wade, IA

Cheryl I find it odd that you would say "vote intelligently and vote for Clinton" when everyone knows the more educated voters consistently vote for Obama...every exit poll has told us that.

March 10, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  4. Brian

Kick her butt, Barack! We need real change and bipartisan leadership in Washington... not more of Bill and Hillary's negative, divisive, double-talking, backstabbing, filthy, nasty, manipulative, greedy, scandalous, vindictive politics!

Together we can return America to her former greatness! Yes we can!

OBAMA '08!!!

March 10, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. Karin

LOL...... TALKING ABOUT FLIPPING FROM ONE THING TO ANOTHER....AMERICAN .....REMEMBER THE DEBATE IN TX......OBAMA AND HILLARY AGREED THAT A NOMINEE WILL BE IN PLAY BEFORE IT GO AS FAR AS TO THE CONVENTION AND THE SUPER DELECATES PICK THE NOMINEE....AND IF THIS IS THE CASE WHY IS HILLARY MAKING A BIG DEAL OUT OF MI AND FL HAVING A SEAT AT THE CONVENTION IF ....SHE AND OBAMA AGREED THAT A NOMINEE WILL ALREADY BE IN PLACE BEFORE THE CONVENTION.....PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS ONE .....SOMEONE NEED TO MAKE HER STICK TO HER WORLD TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE....OBAMA CAMP NEED TO MAKE HER EAT HER OWN WORDS.......

March 10, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. Carol, WI

"Obama was scheduled to hold rallies in Columbus and Jackson, Mississippi, while Clinton was set to hold campaign events in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania holds its primary on April 22."

Seriously, Hillary, do you want these votes or not? There are six weeks before the PA primaries. Again, she disses the states that she feels aren't important to go on to the states she thinks are important. When she doesn't win the unimportant states she claims it is unfair: the caucus doesn't represent 'real' voters, too many black voters, etc. Even if she wins PA by less than one percent she will claim 'victory' and remind people of how she should be the nominee.

Funny observation from a pundit yesterday (whose opinions I rarely value, but this was funny): Last week, after her 2 victories (TX does not count) Hillary said she was just getting warmed up. It took her 31 contests to get warmed up, yet she is the one who states she is ready to be POTUS 'from Day One.' Kind of ironic, don't you think?

March 10, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. tboi

TREV
    – Please explain why hillary should win if she gets the popular vote? When was the last time we used popular vote and not delegates to seat a nominee? Help me out here, I want to understand!

March 10, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  8. Wanted: Unbiased Reporting

Someone tell Hillary that the whole country matters. Not just the big states. This is the worse strategy possible for really representing the whole country. Not only does Obama do well in the rural areas, ie Iowa and Wyoming, his losses aren't blowouts. This goes to show you, that Sen Clinton is short-sighted. The size of the state only matters if you have a blowout. She won Texas and look what happened.

March 10, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  9. Carol, WI

You know, Hillary fans love to make fun of us Obambots, or Kool-Aid drinkers, or whatever they want to call us. However, their repetition of the 'big states that matter' rhetoric from the Clinton camp and complete lack of openess to look at anything else makes me think of worse comparisons than James Jones. A socialist from Germany comes to mind, actually. At least the Kool-Aid drinkers only harmed themselves, not a nation.

As much as I do not want the Democrats to lose in November, I just 100 percent made up my mind I can not vote for her if she manages to steal this election. I am picturing fiascos like those we have had to endure the past 8 years, and, as much as I want to be loyal to the Democrats, I can not vote for someone I completely can not trust. I do not want to have to admit later, when the United States is in an even more dismal state than it is in now, that I voted for Hillary just because she is a Democrat (at least she claims to be, even though she seems to be running her own party these days).

March 10, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Elizabeth

There are so many racists on this board it makes me queasy. I am a WHITE WOMAN who supports Obama. I beleieve EVERY STATE AND EVERY PERSON COUNTS. I'm tired of being looked over because "it's a red state". We're 50/50, but democrats get ignored by democrats so we don't go to the polls.

March 10, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  11. unhinged

This a question for us girls- I am I the only one who thinks we may just have to give the nomination to Hil out of fear for what she may do when if she doesn't win? I feel like homegirl NEEDS this and I am willing to give her my vote in order to prevent her descent into madness.

March 10, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  12. OBAMA ALL THE WAY

HILLARY GO HOMEEEEEE
    OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAAA ALL THE WAY
    AMERICAN PEOPLE DO NOT TRUST HILILARY SHE IS TRYING TO PLAY US ALL, BUT GUESS WHAT HILLARY YOUR SICK PLANS WONT WORK ON US

March 10, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. Phil

Obama will win Mississippi, of course, just as he has won other states with large black populations. Many African-Americans have said they are basing their vote on race since it is the first time they've had a chance to vote for a black candidate they believe can win. I don't really blame them, but I do wish ALL voters would really study the experience, accomplishments, and preparedness of both candidates before casting their votes. A vote based simply on race, whether white or black, is unfortunate and could well cost our country a great president.

March 10, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  14. vl

Ken Warren, info copied and pasted right out of US Senate Roll Call, not false information.

March 10, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |