March 10th, 2008

Girl in Clinton ad supports Obama

CNN

Watch Casey Knowles on American Morning Monday.

(CNN) - Casey Knowles has graced the airwaves this month as the unwitting star of a headline-grabbing campaign ad for Hillary Clinton. But the 17-year-old is hoping to grace the small screen this campaign year for another presidential hopefully: Clinton’s Democratic rival, Barack Obama.

Stock footage of an 8-year-old Knowles sleeping – shot when she worked as an extra in TV commercials - was used in Clinton’s “red phone” ad, which asked “Who do you want answering the phone at 3 a.m.?” in the case of a foreign policy crisis.

But the high-school senior – who will be eligible to vote in the general election – is actually a passionate supporter of Barack Obama’s, and has been volunteering for the Illinois senator’s campaign.

“I think it would be wonderful if Barack Obama and I could get together and do a counter-ad,” she told CNN Saturday.

Appearing on CNN's American Morning Monday, Knowles said she was shocked to discover she was in the commercial, and said it made her feel disloyal to Obama.

"It makes me feel a little disloyal and kind of," she said. "It hurts that footage of me would contribute to a candidate that I'm not necessarily supporting. Hopefully Mr. Obama would forgive me. "

Knowles, who lives in Washington State, also said she plans on helping Obama in Oregon ahead of that state's primary in May.

"They want to get me down there and hopefully get me to help support and get campaigning going on down there," she said.

In Wyoming on Friday, Obama told voters at a campaign event that people shouldn’t worry about what he’d do if an emergency 3 a.m. call came into the White House when he was president.

“What do people think I’m going to do? I’m going to answer the phone,” he said.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Robert Harris

That's Hilarious. All of you that are questioning this story must understand that it Speaks to the stupidity of Hillary's ad. The girl is wonderful. Like most Obama supporters extremely intelligent.

March 10, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  2. Paul

So what is the big deal here

She is just one more person like the rest of us

CNN you should be focussed on the issues

HILLARY 08!

March 10, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  3. Changing times

Cnn did ask her why she's voting for Obama. You'll just have to watch the videos for yourself to learn her answer.

She's quite intelligent and very well spoken.

Obama is hope for the future and that's not a dirty word.

March 10, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. raf

I take that back, she's 17... Even less of a reason for you rabid fanatics to attack her. Get a grip.

March 10, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  5. Deborah

This Young lady has here head on straight.

OBAMA '08

March 10, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  6. pal

So, that's all Hillary Clinton supporters can do and say, make fun of young people in our country for showing interest in politics? We have criticized young people for not voting in the past and now demean and denigrate their involvement because they are motivated by Obama; Wow how fanatical and hypocritical Clinton supporters can be.

March 10, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  7. Porter

That's nice.

March 10, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  8. Nick

Well, according to CNN, she's about to turn 18, so she should be able to vote in November, according to CNN that is.
    And she was 8, the original acting gig was 10 years old. She really did the Hilary ad for money?
    And she lives in Washington, didn't the ad air in Texas? I knew about it because of XM, then youtube. I never saw it on TV.

March 10, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  9. Independent

What is the big deal?

Ooops, forgot,; this "Creative News Network" creating news for the "Best Political Team".

Creative News Network has become pathetic, bring back Cable News Network!

March 10, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  10. James Beasley

A lot of people are saying that this isn't news. Well, I think it is, because this demonstrates the difference in Hillary and Barack's campaigns. She tells us what we should think, he shows her what we actually do think. She's a real voter, not some old white guys like Pat Buchanan or James Carville on the news shows. I'm not going to get a chance to talk about my vote, you aren't either. Even though she's a white teenage girl, she's closer to the way I see the situation than the politicos.

March 10, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  11. d.d

I am so disgusted with the news media. I think they gave Hillary all the press and photos the week before the texas caucus just so they could keep this nightmare going. So people would keep tuning in and they would have good ratings. You could not find Baracks photo or anything about him for one week (maybe that tractor ad)

March 10, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  12. Jen-0-palooza

For the record, this gal is not just supporting Obama, she's volunteered for his campaign.

THAT'S the newsworthiness of it. She is INVOLVED in politics as a young person and it IS interesting that she's doing what she can to help Hillary's OPPONENT and Hillary's camp used her footage.

BTW, she will be 18 and able to vote in November.

You Hillary fans are just Hillariously delirious!

March 10, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  13. Joe

Who Cares?

March 10, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  14. Kris for Hillary

Wake me when we get some real news.

March 10, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  15. Jay

Who cares?

March 10, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  16. Sasha

Jill American,

Obama has a number of years in the legislator................Hilary voted for the war! She will do anything................

March 10, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  17. Black Man in Dixie

This is NOT news.

March 10, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  18. joli

aww poor thing trying to sqeeze in her 2 minutes of quasi-fame... I love what makes this ticker....

March 10, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  19. Kim

guess she's looking for her 15 minutes of fame. Please this is not reality tv get a life.

March 10, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  20. maya

Another gimic from the Obama camp and media- beyond the "Gee, how interesting"-NOT, what's the point?!! Does this change Obama's lack of readiness to handle foreign affairs and issues?! Does this change Obama's lack of experience in domestic matters and concerns? NO!!! Stop with this fake news and get back to the issues!

March 10, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  21. Alex H

dude – HA! Nice snap at Hannity... but I personally find Curtis Sliwa to be infinitely more racist and ignorant.

March 10, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  22. Goodheart

This girl should be happy with all the publicity she's getting. Thank Hillary for that. Plus, what a great example she could have been by supporting a woman for President. Go Hillary!

March 10, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. Matt, Manchester, CT

So I guess there's nothing going on anywhere in the entire universe that this is one of the stories to make it on the Ticker. You guys are grasping here.

March 10, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  24. C

this girl can't even vote! who cares who she is supporting?

March 10, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  25. beckett70

This is really a mute issue. This young lady obviously is trying to get some theatrical mileage out this by requesting Obama do a counter add together. I think the mindlessness of it all will make him seems trite and not very busy.

March 10, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |