March 10th, 2008

Girl in Clinton ad supports Obama

CNN

Watch Casey Knowles on American Morning Monday.

(CNN) - Casey Knowles has graced the airwaves this month as the unwitting star of a headline-grabbing campaign ad for Hillary Clinton. But the 17-year-old is hoping to grace the small screen this campaign year for another presidential hopefully: Clinton’s Democratic rival, Barack Obama.

Stock footage of an 8-year-old Knowles sleeping – shot when she worked as an extra in TV commercials - was used in Clinton’s “red phone” ad, which asked “Who do you want answering the phone at 3 a.m.?” in the case of a foreign policy crisis.

But the high-school senior – who will be eligible to vote in the general election – is actually a passionate supporter of Barack Obama’s, and has been volunteering for the Illinois senator’s campaign.

“I think it would be wonderful if Barack Obama and I could get together and do a counter-ad,” she told CNN Saturday.

Appearing on CNN's American Morning Monday, Knowles said she was shocked to discover she was in the commercial, and said it made her feel disloyal to Obama.

"It makes me feel a little disloyal and kind of," she said. "It hurts that footage of me would contribute to a candidate that I'm not necessarily supporting. Hopefully Mr. Obama would forgive me. "

Knowles, who lives in Washington State, also said she plans on helping Obama in Oregon ahead of that state's primary in May.

"They want to get me down there and hopefully get me to help support and get campaigning going on down there," she said.

In Wyoming on Friday, Obama told voters at a campaign event that people shouldn’t worry about what he’d do if an emergency 3 a.m. call came into the White House when he was president.

“What do people think I’m going to do? I’m going to answer the phone,” he said.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. here

it must be somewhat disconcerting to Hilary that when she randomly engages with an individual, the chance is that they are more likely to be an Obama supporter than a hilary supporter

I love Democracy, you just cant beat it, and when done fairly, the result is as good as sacred.

March 10, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  2. Theresa

and we need to know this why?????

March 10, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  3. Mike

News check? There are drugs in your drinking water, but the little girl who was an extra in some stock footage is an Obama supporter!!!

March 10, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  4. Lame

Obviously, this kid wants a job. Good grief, who cares?!

March 10, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  5. Al in Wpg

I guess another un-paid Hill staffer... just like all americans will be in Communist Hillarica. Just Kidding.

March 10, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  6. bestmanO

Hillary should show actual footage of an icident in her 35 years of expeirence when she answered the 3:00 AM phone... oh what, just like Obama, she has't answered that phone. Casey and Obama would make the ultimate counter commercial of what he would do when he were to answer that phone.

March 10, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  7. Elsa

So what, she is a paid actor, and she supports Obama, she certainly knows how to draw attention.

March 10, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  8. Rose - Baltimore, MD

Lu, the big deal is that she is an Obama supporter and does not like the fact that her clip from when she was 8 yrs old helped Clinton win Ohio. She has no control over the clip but she doesn't like it – is it that difficult for you to understand somthing this simple?

March 10, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  9. Channell

Even as an Obama supporter.. I agree, whats the big deal?

March 10, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  10. Thomas For Hillary

Get your 15 minutes and move on please, thank you.

March 10, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  11. Jim

Clinton is desperate and using the same fear mongering tactics that Rove/Bush used. Given this ad, I wouldn't doubt Hillary bumping up the terror threat levels if she could. It's reaching to the bottom of the bag in order to win at any cost. Be afraid! Be VERY afraid!

March 10, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  12. Jim

why is this even on the ticker ...
    gosh cnn got nothing else against hillary now ...

March 10, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  13. Mani, NJ

Exactly, who cares. She was an extra in an ad. I doubt she was even asked who she supported nor did anyone care.

March 10, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  14. Kathy

This is news?

What a ridiculous "story"...obviously a really slow weekend for news!!

Someone looking for her 15 minutes of fame and CNN is only too happy to facilitate.

Shows just how juvenile this whole thing has become.

March 10, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  15. David, Dallas Tx

You know, this is an enjoyable article because of the irony involved, and I hope Casey does decide to do a counter-ad.

But this isn't really a substantive article about any of the issues or platforms the candidates are taking. I'm tired of hearing voters argue that the candidates don't take stances or have plans, when they do but the media doesn't cover them.

I also think it ludicrous that CNN close down blogs after 3 comments or 7 comments or 2 hours or whatever. What's the point of having a blog if you don't let us comment? Do you want to aggravate us enough to abandon you for more fertile outlets?

March 10, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  16. Dawn

Ms. Knowles, please get a life. You are no celebrity.

March 10, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  17. PA

The girl in the ad also said on another show that she felt that Mrs. Clinton was using fear-mondering to win votes. I agree!! I will not support any politican who uses my kids and my natural protectiveness to win my vote. That is what Bush did to get us into the war. He made us fear what would happen if we did not go to war. Now we have how many lives lost? How much money gone from our economy? How much less money for education and health care? What my children really need is good judgement in our next president!

Obama 2008!!!!!!!

March 10, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  18. Ron, Las Vegas

The deal is that Hillary used footage of a supporter for Obama as an attack add on Obama. It is also shows that when the sleeping children wake up, they support Obama. I just hope that when the voters wkae up to Hillry, they will also vote for Obama.

March 10, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  19. cg

WHO CARES !!!!!

March 10, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  20. mickey

The big deal is not to confuse advertising with reality, especially not the actual Clinton reality which is a mile wide and an inch deep!

March 10, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  21. Matt in Georgia

Amazing...I think she should do an ad with Barack Obama for PA voters.

Go Obama '08

March 10, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  22. A. Harrison

Good For her.

Hillary 2008

March 10, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  23. Liberal and Proud of It

Actors and actresses in commercial say and do whatever the script says. The commercial has nothing to do with what they really think or believe. Commercials have nothing to do with truth.

March 10, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  24. SF

I think this is great!

March 10, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  25. Hmmmm

Of course she does....it will add to her 15 minutes of fame. Notice how fast she mentioned the " counter ad".

March 10, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |