March 10th, 2008

Obama rejects being Clinton's No. 2

CNN

Watch Obama's comments Monday.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama Monday flatly rejected suggestions that he would be a vice presidential running mate for Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Both Clinton, Obama's rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, and her husband, former President Clinton, have suggested a joint Clinton-Obama ticket - with Obama in the second slot.

"Senator Clinton is fighting hard. She's tenacious. I respect her for that. She is working hard to win the nomination. But I want everybody to be absolutely clear. I'm not running for vice president. I'm running for president of the United States of America," Obama told supporters during a rally in Columbus, Mississippi.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Michael

Clinton's candidature is doomed to failure.

March 10, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. Freedom and Hope

Thank you Obama. You are the better candidate, and we all know it.

Anyone but Hillary for 2008.

March 10, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. Becky in In.

That strut, that swagger.I want to gag. I just think he is full of himself. He looks so much like my son but my son is a real person. When they debate and he looks down his nose at her it is so disrespectful! Shameful Obama!

March 10, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. M

If the Democratic party does not give the nomination to the person who has won the most states, the most primaries, the most caucuses and the most pledged delegates I am done supporting them. Its going to be a travesty of the highest cause.

March 10, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Frederick in La.

I think most people see that a white woman is most presumptive than

a black man in this country. This is very true in the South.

March 10, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. Mystery

Can someone, anyone tell me what "experience" does Hillary have to claim she is better fit to run our country? i mean i really do like her a lot, but lets be honest here her "experience" was riding the coat tail of her husband when he was president, and of course she`s been to more than 80 country`s duh she was with Bill the whole time hello.

Our country needs to go into a completely different direction with new, and improved ideas that can, and will be realized by Obama.

What is experience when your judgement is wrong?

Its all about making the right judgement in time of crises..

March 10, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. Jeff - Illinois

Unfortunately for Clinton, it seems there are too many Americans NOT guided by fear. As a nation, we have collectively realized that voting based on irrational fears encouraged by Rovian-style candidates does not result in a very good outcome.

Clinton would need Obama as VP to have a chance at beating McCain. Obama would lose votes if Clinton was his VP. What does this tell us? Obama would be the best candidate for the Dems to take the White House.

The longer this campaign goes on, the more I dislike Hillary Clinton, and I enjoyed the Bill Clinton White House years.

March 10, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  8. Rebecca

Popularity vote means nothing. Al Gore won the popularity vote, but lost the presidency..to whom? To Bush..Everyone likes to claim they hate Bush now, but I bet my left foot that they all voted for Bush, the first time, AND the second time. Hillary Clinton is a strong sensible woman who would be great for this country. Despite the media's play on her words, she has been very forth coming with her plans for presidency, even if those plans cannot come to fruition.

Yes yes I am sure there will be people shouting to the sky, THAT'S NOT TRUE, however facts are facts, and frankly Obama has done the same thing. People rely too much on the media to swing their views around. It's all political, each candidate will say what they think will best draw the votes to them. Despite who gets elected, in the end, a year from now, EVERYONE will be complaining about the new President, regardless of who it is.

March 10, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. Boca

He handled this well.

March 10, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. John White, Texas

Sen. Obama will end with the lead in the popular vote, elected delegates, and the total lead in delegates. The superdelegates should only endorse the will of the people. Anything else should be looked upon as corruption–the type of corruption that is indicative of the Clintons. Just look at the story of the New York governor and his involvement with prostitution rings and his support of the Clinton campaign.

March 10, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  11. Calling Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine!

Obama is winning, why should he take a number 2 spot on the ticket? If anything, Hillary should be the VP on his ticket. Of course, that will never happen. I don't support anyone anymore. I don't think Obama can beat McCain. I think a lot of Independents are going to vote McCain. Disappointed Hillary voters will also vote McCain. What ever happened to Nader, thankfully the media has dropped him like yesterday's fish. Why am I asking all these questions?

March 10, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. Sharon

HELLO?????
    Why do Obama supporters keep saying Hillary needs him, but he doesn't need her?

Many exit polls show that 25% OF HILLARY'S SUPPORTERS WILL VOTE McCAIN IN NOVEMBER IF SHE DOESN'T WITH THE PRIMARY! I BEING ONE OF THEM....WE WANT EXPERIENCE! ESPECIALLY IF HE PICKS A WOMAN RUNNING MATE!

ONLY 10% OF OBAMA SUPPORTERS WILL VOTE McCAIN IF HE DOESN'T WIN......

OBAMA CAN NOT WIN THE GENERAL LOSING 25% OF HILLARY'S SUPPORTERS TO McCAIN!

March 10, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  13. Troy

I always thought Hillary wanted a latino (LA Mayor?) to be her VP (or, maybe to mow the White House lawn).

March 10, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  14. MB

They say she is the most inteligent candidate in the race. Are you sure??
    Honestly, where is the evidence of it? How can anyone who's clearly in second place in a contest offer the "consolation" prize to the person who's currently in first place? It doesn't sound very intelligent. I thought she was supposed to the most "brilliant" person running in this election according to Wesley Clark a failed presidential candidate and his fellow generals.

March 10, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. Mike Brian PA

I am wondering if Obama supporters ever need to work or study? Every cnn ticker comment is backed by 90% Obama fans! Amazingly absurd...

March 10, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. Janet

Obama...I am with you this time
    BTW- I am republican
    It is like Huckabe asking McCain-"Can you be my VP?"..LOL

Obama be the nominee..we will have a decent fight with you.

March 10, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. scope213

LOL! I guess Gov. Spitzer is off the VP list for Hillary.

OBAMA AND EDWARDS! GOGOGO!

March 10, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  18. marie

He is such an obimbecile! He would be the worst choice for VP. His campaign is coming unraveled and Hillary and Edwards will be the Dream Team. How can we trust someone who tells the people the Canadian meeting didn't happen, whose wife says unpatriotic things, who does business with Rezko, etc.

We are seeing the real Obama and he isn't fit to be VP or President.

March 10, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. Manny

Clinton or McCain.......NO OBAMA!

We don't want ON THE JOB TRAINING President! This is not a job for COMMUNITY ORGANIZER, his BEST qualification – a community AGITATOR!

March 10, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. Mark Cross Junction VA

The most intelligent statement this man has ever made. Go away!!

March 10, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. Chris, SC

You mean to tell me that she's willing to offer Obama a VP spot after she said she has all this experience and McCain has experience and all Obama has is a speech he gave years ago. Why give McCain more credit than someone from your own party? Why would you criticize him for using a God given talent to inspire people, motivate young people and motivate the young at heart. You may need to ask yourself what talents are you using to inspire people that it takes the people to change this country and not the president alone. For some reason you think he's good enough to be a VP but it's ok to throw the kitchen sink at him to. Just goes to show that Hillary is willing to do anything and say anything to get the nomination. Hillary is beginning to appear to be more interested in personal gain rather than whats in the best interest of the American people.

Obama 08!!!

March 10, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. Akil

Hillary..if you really want to unite the party..why dont you become the VP..you are no 2. Remain no 2

My friend was so angry with your comment abt Obama- he got heart attack...he is in hospital now...Doctors have asked him not to watch TV to avoid you, Hillary

March 10, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. R A

Hillary's enemies are safer than her friends

March 10, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. CB

Hillary knows the numbers don't help her to the top of the ticket by convention time. The fact the Clinton's are spinning this whole joint ticket fairy tale up, just smells to high heaven. Forget the remaining voters – Hillary has just declared herself the Dem’s nominee!” That’s funny, asking Obama to be VP when he leads in both the delegate race and the popular vote. In desperation Hillary wants to change Obama's "YES WE CAN" to a Clinton "YES WE SCAM"

March 10, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  25. john

Funny, I already considered him number 2.

March 10, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |