March 11th, 2008

Exit Polls: Age gap persists in Mississippi

(CNN)– Early exit polls indicate the same distinct age gap in Mississippi that has appeared in many states this year: Barack Obama appears to garner the support of younger voters, while Hillary Clinton holds a greater appeal for older voters.

According to early CNN exit poll estimates, 72 percent of voters between the ages of 17 and 29 came out in support of the Obama, while 28 percent identified more with Clinton. For voters 60 and older, 53 percent said Clinton was fit for the presidency, while 46 percent weighed in for Obama.

–CNN's Emily Sherman

Filed under: Exit Polls • Mississippi
  1. Betty

Why are the votes being broken down by the race, WHITES, BLACKS, HISPANICS, LANTINOS,ETC., Why not JUST THE NUMBER OF VOTES each canidates received. Perhaps if the media just use the words "Number of Votes" there wont's be people knowing what race of the people are voting and I feel that this will help with the black and white issues.

Question for anyone like to answer from the CNN Staff.

March 11, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  2. Eric, Michigan

Many of the young voters see the light at the end of the tunnel, and can see that Obama can help us all get there, while older voters are still hoping that their same old leaders can finish getting us there, the fact is they have gone astray from the light they were hoping for, because that light has moved, and their past leaders cant get them there.

March 11, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  3. D.

91% of African American voted for Obama. Hi , White Americians, can you do the same thing? You can't since you're coward and afriad of being called raist!

Obama is clearly enjoying the benefits of the "race card." Everyone is this country is so afraid of the label "racist". I feel it's kind of silly that people cannot speaking of the truth, and if they mentioned anything invloved with 'black' , ahha, racists! The whites are really stupid!

March 11, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  4. Shana

Could someone please tell me what significant experience Hillary Clinton has? I researched this and could not find that she has any experience that is superior to that of her opponent. Thank you.

Shana
    Chicago

March 11, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  5. kevin

Among states voting with more than 90 delegates Clinton Leads Obama 7,947,616 vs. 7,231,777, which excludes both Florida and Michigan.

March 11, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  6. Jack O

sigh... it's very sad that we are in 2008 and people are still racist, sexist and biased in general. Who cares if Obama's getting support from African -Americans? McCain's getting support from Whites! How come everyone on CNN is on Hilary Clinton's dick? And why is she playing so dirty? Why shouldn't the vote of 18 year olds like myself have an impact? I've been following politics and news in general since I was 12. I've been working since I was 16. I pay for my own gas. And I filed my taxes by myself for the first time this year. I've had experiences both in my own personal and family life that most people have never (trust me, i have a crazy family life). Parents been separated like 4 times, [overseas] aunts and uncles always coming to us for help, mentally unstable people living in my house. In January, I went to court for a drinking ticket that I got in December and I handled that without my parents finding out. My friends and I do dumb things like drink and smoke pot, but there is a lot more to us too. 3.67 freshman GPA, future peer mentor, aspiring to go to medical school. I think I've been through enough and matured through it in order to count. So yes, a lot of young people may appear to be lost causes and may seem to have no clue, but a lot of us are ready for the future. And right now, the future in America looks very bleak.

peace, love and pinto beans

March 11, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  7. Brigitte

Well, people that have lived longer and are wiser vote for someone who is actually qualified to be president? Is this news?

March 11, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  8. Deloris Rozier

Senator Obama is not a "baby", he is forty six years of age with a family and more than twenty five years of work experience. He has experience, education and is smart enough to know that we need something very different in this country.

Come on Americans we need to stop this age, race thing. All of us young and old will benefit from a new perspective – a new approach to doing business in Washington. Republicans will not go away so we need to support the candidate who can cross the aisle, bridge relationships and work to secure us at home and abroad .

And while Senator Obama is working on the economy and all of the other challenges that we struggle with perhaps he can play super hero and work with us to heal America. Senator Obama for President.

March 11, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  9. WOW!!!!

Liz,
    A majority of the men and women of the armed forces are also young. So, by YOUR rational, the people in the military do not have the life experience needed to defend our country in combat. Did I get that right?

Get a clue...

March 11, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  10. The Guy

I love how people keep saying, the young vote is causing damage. You older voters have no credibility, you put Bush in, in 2000, and then after 4 years of damage, you so called "Experienced" voters, put him in again for 4 more years. If that's not irony, I don't know what is, lol. I know for this election, whomever you "Experienced" voters are backing, I'm backing the other person. Experience doesn't equal intelligence. As we saw in 2004!

March 11, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  11. Jeff

Prior to tonight – Popular Vote Total:
    Obama – 13,024,961 – 49.4%
    Clinton – 12,421,358 – 47.1%

Wait till Pensylvania, Michigan, and Florida.
    Hillary ahead in popular vote
    Obama behind in popular vote

March 11, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  12. maya

I forgot to add OHIO. Big important state. Hillary won it- Obama was not able to cinch the deal. Makes superdelegates nervous...

March 11, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  13. Wellstonian Democrat

Look. This is just more slicing and dicing, but the difference in older voters in hardly significant. The difference in younger voters is significant. In short, Obama is turning out young people and that's important. Like it or not they are the future of this nation and we need for them to get involved. Those of you who were around when Kennedy ran did he inspire you? Did he encourage you to participate in government and the well-being of your country. Imagine for a second if he had lost. How would you have felt? I'm not saying Obama is Kennedy, but he does inspire young people ,something that JFK did too. How do you think they will react if he loses after leading? They will feel cheated. Like everything is controlled by party insiders and what they think and vote doesn't matter. Do we want that? NO! Listen. Obama has the delegate lead, the popular vote, the most states. He's only behind by about 35 super delegates, and he's leading by more than 150 pledged delegates. Some "red states" might become "swing" states if he runs in November. He can do this. He can make young people get involved and believe, he can lead this country, and his experience makes him no less qualified than a certain other man from Illinois who only served one undistinguished term in the House on the national scene and several years in Illinois congress before becoming president. YES HE CAN! YES WE CAN!

March 11, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  14. joni s lund

You guys are really stero typing people I am a 63 year old white woman that would not vote for Hilary under any circumstance what they both did when Bill was in the white house is dishonest, not setting a good example and I see no change. I would hope that after the first Georege W Bush the clintons, and the second George W Bush this county would wise up our old ways have not worked and I would think that the older you are the more wisdom one tunes into. Too Bad CNN is not more aware about what is really going on in California the Place where everyone came in the 70's the setiment is still pretty much the same with the people I speak with. There is little doubt in my mind a nice young man like Barack Obama would have some fresh new Ideas, goals, and action to put in place when he hits the ground running on his first day... Let the old gaurd be done after all we have to move over for our children and grandchildren who already have the so called knowledge we have and alot more of their own. Please quite the Stero typing it really bothers me and makes me defensive.

March 11, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  15. Jeff in Iowa

Once again, read the exit polls and see who is turning this into race! I cannot believe these black folks who are only voting for Obama because he is black! Look at the record! Hillary has done so much more to cross racial lines and for the black community and this is how she gets repaid!

And of course, the exit polls showing Obama as more honest? Did you realize that Obama's name has surfaced 3 times in the prosecutor's opening arguments in the Rezko trial. And Obama has admitted his NAFTA talks are rhetoric to get elected. Sounds like Bush honesty. No wonder Mississippi has the lowest avg. income in the US if they are that gullible!

March 11, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  16. Kim Lee

I see some who post in here from Europe who love Hillary. I think this must be as Hillary is so socialist like all Europe is now. I am from Korea. In Asia when someone must lie and cheat so much to grab the power. We call them the Dictators.

March 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  17. Linda

I am older and I DO remember the Clinton administration and the “experiences” we lived through as a nation. I certainly do want to repeat those experiences; we are supposed to learn from our mistakes – not repeat them! Obama has given this country hope and that has been a rare commodity for a long, long time.

March 11, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  18. Mike

Hey Wolf, What happened to Hillary and her Mojo. I think the slipping away of her Mojo is gaining momentom.

March 11, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  19. JAMES IN BAMA

I THINK IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT OBAMA IS NOT GETTING THE WHITE VOTE AND IN PARTTICULAR THE WHITE MALE VOTE. AND OLDER PEPLE ARE COMMITED TO HILALRY BACAUSE OF WHAT A CLINTON WHITE HOUSE WOULD MEAN TO SENIORS, IT MAY IN FACT GO TO MCCAIN IF OBAMA GETS THE NOMINATION. AND ITS NO SECRET OBAMA DOESNT GET THE LATINO VOTE AND THEY WILL VOTE REPUBLICAN IF THEY DONT HAVE THEIR CANNIDATE IN THE DEMOCRATIC RACE. AND THAT WILL MOST LIKELY LOOSE US FLORIDA, AND BRING STATES LIKE OHIO, AND ARKANSAS AND OTHER STATES HILLARY WOULD MOST LIKEY CARRY INTO QUESTION, ALONG WITH STATES SHE MIGHT COULD WIN LIKE TEXAS THAT OBAMA DOESNT HAVE AS MUCH OF A CHANCE IN. IT LOOKS LIKE WE COULD LOOSE THE ELECTION AFTER ALL.

March 11, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  20. Jeff in Iowa

Cheryl,

You add like the Obama staff. Better look that up again! Clinton is well ahead in popular votes! And big states don't matter as much as SWING states do! Those are who we hope will vote blue in Nov. Those states are CA, NM, TX, FL, VA, NJ, PA, MI, OH, RI, AR, IA, LA, MO, NH.

How do they stack up? Obama won VA, LA, IA.
    Clinton won NH, CA, NM, TX, FL, NJ, MI, OH, RI, AR & will win PA!
    Missouri . . tied!
    Obama won IL, WI, MN, CT, MD & WA but those states will be blue regardless.
    Clinton won NY, MA, which will be blue regardless.

Looking at it politically, Clinton is the best choice to win . Looking at it realistically, Clinton is the best to lead!

March 11, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  21. Andrea

Liz – Time to take your meds. African Americans only make up 13% of the population, so please explain me how Obama is winning in votes, delegates and states....especially IA, WY, UT, etc.......

March 11, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  22. Jeff in Iowa

Finally . . .Delores,

Obama will need a superhero to heal us with his horrible non-voting and gutless record (worst absenteeism in the US senate . . .EVER!) That's what we need in the White House. Someone who says "Where in the world is our president?"

March 11, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  23. B. Smart

. . .The youth of this era are highly intelligent. The are able to see through the and not judge the surface of a person, but the substance of
    a person. They identify with Senator Obama because he understands
    them and their issues. He is like a breath of fresh air. He has mobilized the youth in numbers unprecedented since the 60's movement. He will be the
    President for the youth of America.

Obama 08.

March 11, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  24. VOTER FOR TRUTH AND DIGNITY IN AMERICA

I am a retired professional woman of 63 and my candidate from Day 1 has been Obama.

OBAMA 2008