March 11th, 2008

Exit Polls: Clinton draws Republican support

(CNN) - Are some of Mississippi's Republicans trying to cause mischief? Thirteen percent of the voters in today's Democratic primary identified themselves as Republican; they voted for Clinton, 78 percent to 22 percent. And 37 percent of the Democratic primary voters have a favorable opinion of John McCain; this group also went for Clinton, 62 percent to 37 percent.

Earlier this month, conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh told listeners that since the Republican race was all but over, they should turn out for Clinton, because of his view that she would be a weaker fall opponent for presumptive GOP nominee John McCain - but there is no statistical evidence to indicate his instructions played any role in the Mississippi results.

–CNN's Paul Varian

Filed under: Exit Polls • Mississippi
  1. Karen

When white men vote for Obama you don't report it as mischief by the Republicans but support. If voters of Mississippi decide to switch to a Democratic candidate in this case Hillary Clinton it's suddenly the conspiracy theory when in fact it's support of the candidate of their choice.

Hillary has crossover appeal as well as Barack does. Just ask this Black Female.

March 11, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  2. maya

What a bunch of spin.

Thanks Jay for the post.

Thanks also for the posts on several threads which list all of the Senators- many who now support/follow Obama- who voted just like Hillary (Dodd, Kerry, etc).

What a bunch of spin.

March 11, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  3. I see

I see- so if Rebuplicans vote for Obama he appeals to both sides BUT if Republicans vote for Hillary then there is some conspiracy. I am SO SICK of the Obamabots...

March 11, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  4. Shana

Could someone please tell me what significant experience Hillary Clinton has? I researched this and could not find that she has any experience that is superior to that of her opponent. Thank you.

Shana
    Chicago

March 11, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  5. Luke

My mom is a Republican. She has said repeatedly that she'd rather have Clinton than Obama as president. I think a lot of Republicans feel the same way. This is similar to the Michigan primary where a sizable number of Democrats voted for McCain.

March 11, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  6. Wayne

Well, with 91% of African American supporting Obama and 75% of Whites supporting Hillary, it's obvious that this election IS all about race. Somebody owes Geraldine Ferraro one heck of an apology!

March 11, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  7. Mary

Obama will win the general election.
    Let be honest. Clinton won what so call big states like California, New york, new Jersey. Those states will be democrats in November for either Clinton or Obama. But Obama is most likely carying some so call republicain states, because of independents and some young republicain who want to embrace the Obama message.
    go Obama!

March 11, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  8. B. Smart

. . . .John McCain should choose Hillary Clinton for his running mate.

McCain/Clinton 08.

March 11, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  9. lorelie

Obama is the Trojan horse of the Republicans, courtesy of Dick Cheenye his cousin. He is bale to unite the Blacks and divide the White people. He will lose in the general election because the Black voters are just minority towin the general election. the Republicans will again control the White House for another four years and thanks to Obama.

March 11, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  10. pasteeater

I think you are giving way to much credit to Rush Limbaugh. I know he has followers but most of them would get lost trying to find a polling place. I think its good for the democrats that there is crossover. I question calling it an anti Obama vote by republicans, I believe that if they took their time to vote in a democratic primary they did so because they see there are problems caused by the republicans over the last 7 years.

March 11, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. Uche Michael Ozokaire

I believe Obama is the right choice, he made it clear that the campaign is neither race nor gender.
    We need changes and obama is a symbol of unity not only in America but round the World.
    Obama 08

March 11, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  12. LEN

Am I the only person in America that thinks that just maybe all of these white voters in all these white states ; Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, etc are voting for Obama because they really want change, (a black man in the White House), or are they (republicans) voting for his nomination but have no intentions of voting for him in the general election? Is this a republican trick? DNC, CNN, Donna Brazil, can anyone answer
    this question?

March 11, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  13. Shannon, Charlottesville, Virginia

let's see, clinton has the support of republicans, bigots, conservative talk radio.... are we certain she's a democrat?

March 11, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  14. Ashamed of Repubs

My Republican colleagues are fools for voting for Clinton, as it will only get her closer to the White House. We will rue the day she gets in. Stop her while we still have the chance!

March 11, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  15. Shannon, Charlottesville, Virginia

i'm starting to think that many of hillary's supporters are republicans. they are just way too racist to be democrats.

March 11, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  16. Dusacre

Hillary has endorsed McCain over Obama, why should the republicans not vote for her?

They know that Hillary will unite them against the the democrats in November.

I would like to remind you of the prophetic words of a dead man, late Rev. Jerry Falwell: “I certainly hope that Hillary is the candidate. I hope she's the candidate, because nothing will energize my (constituency) like Hillary Clinton. If Lucifer ran, he wouldn't”

If Hillary Rodham Clinton is the Democrats' presidential nominee in 2008, it will motivate republicans to oppose her more than if the devil himself were running

March 11, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  17. Kedren Reade Sitton

"Exit Polls: Clinton draws Republican support".

Reason for the "racial divide", anyone?

To the person who blamed Obama for this, well, misplaced blame is an understatement, don't you think?

March 11, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  18. t

duh...

March 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  19. JV

Reality Check #1,

Your stupid logic is insulting. How many white presidents have we had? And how many white voters have voted for these white candidates every general election on Nov. 4th? Here is the answer – 100% of white voters voted for a white candidate for president.

March 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  20. Mish

everyone can thank Rush Limbaugh for making a mockery of the election primaries by pushing republicans to go out and vote for Hillary for only the reason of having Hillary as the nominee because they think MCBush will beat her .Rush Limbaugh reflects a poor example of an American in my opinon and its a disservice to Hillary as well even tho I am hoping Obama wins

March 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  21. John

First, It didnt say these GOPer were going to vote McCain in the general election, it said that they though of McCain in a positive light. I am a registered Republican who will be voting for Clinton if she survives to the general election, and I too view McCain in a favorable light.

March 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  22. from the west coast

Jay in Kansas quoted Hillary's comment when voting to authorize Pres. Bush to wage war, which includes the admonishment to "use these powers wisely."

How foolish can anyone be to expect Geo Bush to "act wisely."

A clear example of poor judgment!

March 11, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  23. JEAN

I agree Chris Blask. This is the worst thing that could happen to an election in this country.People crossing over just to distabilize the democratic process.

March 11, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  24. jack

I am an independent and usually tend to vote democratic but have voted republican at times. This year I am having great difficulties as to voting for Obama. I think he has really used the race card aand I fear there is trouble brewing in this country. I may have to swallow hard and vote for McCain. If Obama wins he will be a one term president very similar to Jimmy Carter, he is a poor choice.

March 11, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  25. Tim in Ohio

We are talking all of the insignificant differences to death. If you want to know the REAL difference between Barack Obama and the Clintons try this one: Who is the candidate who can beat the republicans in November? We don't need a poll for this one. The Clintons beat the republicans at a time when the republicans were on the dominant rise to power; and the Clintons beat them twice. So lets review recent history; We had Reagon for eight years, Bush # 1 for four, the Clintons for eight years and and Bush # 2 for eight years. Forget the delagate and super delegate count, lets do the real math. Republican rule 20 years and 8 years of the Clintons. Where was Obama when the Clintons were winning and leading the nation?

March 11, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |