March 11th, 2008

Exit polls: Clinton voters say no to Obama for V.P.

(CNN) - Should Hillary Clinton win her party's nomination, a significant majority of Mississippi Democrats who voted for her think she should not offer Barack Obama a spot on the Democratic ticket.

According to exit polls, 60 percent of Clinton voters say the New York senator should not make Obama her running mate, while only 34 percent say she should.

Obama supporters appear to be more welcoming of Clinton as Obama's vice president. If Obama wins the party's nomination, 64 percent of his supporters say he should make a similar offer to Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Exit Polls
  1. Pantsuit Lady

Clinton is banking on her supporters being ignorant to the FACTS of her past crimes and injustices, and to mention, her continuous divisive tactics along racial lines. Polls show that her supporters know where she stands on policies but know only what Clinton tells them about Sen. Obama's policies. That little fact lets us all know that the polls are also right when finding that Clinton supporters are less educated. It's an obvious fact backed up by today's polls in Mississippi.

And for the Clinton supporters who belittle other DEMOCRATS by saying that they are only voting based on color of their skin, then why didn't any past African Americans get this far in a Presidential election? It's definitely true that some blacks are voting based on color, but it's equally true that some are voting based on Clinton's color AND gender. You can't have it both ways. Most Obama supporters are voting on issues AND the history of the Clintons. No thoughtful person in this country should want a person in the highest office in the land that can't get along with people; something that is all most important in this position.

Please keep the race-baiting and insults out of this race. It's far too important for the Party to get into the White House in Jan. '09.

March 11, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  2. wanda

Why would she even entertain should an absurd possibility. He would only be an impediment.

His arrogance and too far left approach to politics is not what this country needs. Could you imagine his attempts in sabotaging her candidacy?

March 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  3. Bob

Instead of jumping out there and calling all Mississippians racists, like the Clinton supporter above who misspelled the word Clintonite, I'm going to comment on the story.

I think that with Hillary's divisive, and increasingly negative rhetiric, coupled with the fact that there are people in this country who actually buy into her lies, the democratic party will be permanently crippled for the general election this fall. Hillary can never clinch the nomination, yet she continuously drives voters away from the democrat who will win. As little as I'd like to see Hillary running for president in 8 years, I do think that one of the only ways the democrats can win this fall is with Hillary in the VP spot. Either her or John Edwards...who, by the way, would be a better VP than Hillary in a lot of ways.

March 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  4. Kim

Ring Ring, A phone rings in the white house at 3AM. A female answers. ... Bill did what?! She was thitreen?! Yes Yes do the usual cover up. Click Experience Hillary 08

March 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  5. Utseoritselaju Ikomi

Go Hillary 2008!!!

March 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  6. Trina

You people are unbelieveable! I am not a racist, but look who is supporting Obama the most, African/Americans. Period. He is only winning the Republican states, how? By the black vote. How do you think he can beat a Republican in a Republican state against a Republican?????? Do you get it now????????

Senator Clinton has won the Democratic states, which says the majority of Democrates want her for President. Now do you get it???????

And, no I"m not low income, and yes, I am a female, and yes, I am very strong and independent, and I know that it is going to take someone with experience to turn this nation around. If Obama is the choice, then we have another Republican for another eight years. Same as we have had in the past.

Clinton HAS NOT DESTROYED the party, you people are doing it, because you cannot handle the fact that your pick cannot speak except for hope, no plans, nothing laid out on how to fix things, just hope. Well, I want to have hope too, but hope comes with a plan to fix it!!!

March 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  7. Hillarity

This just in:

Hillary was the one who really discovered blood plasma, not Charles Drew Jarvis.

What a gal, what experience–NOT.

March 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  8. JJ

No to Obama!

March 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  9. Slap Stick, FLORIDA

It is amazing to me that CNN put the spin on this but this title could have been written the same for Obama. So whats up with that CNN. You all are beginning to look alot like FOX NEWS and most of us know what is really up on that side of the tracks.

March 11, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  10. Val in PA

What keeps happening to my posts? As I said in my previous message, I find it hard to believe you found Obama supporters that want Hillary on the ticket. This information must be inaccurate. Just like the ridiculous statements from Geraldine Ferraro.

March 11, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  11. yEs BilLaRy Is A mOnStEr!

Afterall Obama NEVER wanted Billary as his VP. Billary wanted him!
    No monster for President/ VP!!!!!!!
    Obama 08! Yes We Can!

March 11, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  12. jerry

IT IS A SHAME WHEN A MAN OF COLOR IS IN LEAD TO RUN A NATION, THE WHOLE ASPECT BECOMES RACIST TOWARDS HIM, BUT LET A CLEAR CANDIDATE RUN AND EVERYTHING IS ALRIGHT AND IN PERSPECTIVE, THIS SHOWS THAT RACISM IS ALIVE AND WELL AND DWELLING IN ALL OF YOUR LIVES.

March 11, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  13. John Smith

Please list for me, the number of RED states that Hillary has won____

Please list for me the number of Independent voters that Hillary has brought over to the Dem primary______________

I wish I was a "woman" and a "wife" of a former president of the U.S.

I also wish that, if I was a "woman", and that I had the guts to stay with a 'man' who cheats consistently on me.

Moreover, I wish that although I may be quite divisive, and have lots and lots of dirty baggage in my life, I can still have "blind followers" who see me as competent.

As professor with years of experience, I wish that my students will continue to give me "great evaluations" even when I make the wrong judgments.

March 11, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  14. G

How come when African Americans vote for Obama it is because he is black? But when whites vote for other whites its perfectly fine? I hate it how people try to degrade the black vote, as if the white vote is much more significant than any minority vote. You can see it when the vote is broken down on the news and X percentage of blacks voted for Obama compare to whites etc., A vote is a vote no matter who ends up getting that vote.

March 11, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  15. Carlos Navarro

A Clinton-Obama or an Obama-Clinton dream ticket? No way!.

If Hillary wins, her husband Bill would be crowned her de facto co- president. So whoever is chosen as her official running mate would have to be some subservient, docile person willing to stay in the background, a role that Barak Obama is not likely to accept.

If Obama wins, the Hillary-Bill team would not be inclined to play second-fiddle, especially to an upstart and, from day one, would scheming to wrest control. and, given their penchant for scandals, they would be the last people Obama would want in his administration.

This dream ticket thing, like the Farrakhan endorsement, the tear-shedding in New Hampshire, and the Saturday Night Live skit must be one of the Hillary-Bill team's tricks. The two will resort to anything regain the White House.

Carlos Navarro
    Davidson, NC

March 11, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. LQ Rochester MN

I am a middle-aged white woman who has always supported the Clintons but her behavior in this election has turned me off. I am now a complete Obama supporter.

I would NOT want her on the ticket with Obama. She has been lying and divisive, employing Rove-type tactics – doing anything to win. I really feel that she has no integrity.

I was thinking Chuck Hagel might make a good VP

March 11, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  17. joe m.

all this talk of a joint ticket has to be recognized for what it is, a fantasy and, it seems, a good ploy that the clinton team hoped to benefit from. clinton has closed the door to obama being her VP with all the talk she's put out there, not only recently but also in the past. if she puts him on the ticket a the republicans will be able to take full advantage of her double-speak. as for the obama supporters, while some will entertain the idea, a greater number of them are less likely to warm up to the idea.

the lost opportunity here is that at one point it could actually have been a real possibility. such a ticket would have been formidable. however, probably due more to the clinton team's actions, this idea will remain just that, an idea.

March 11, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  18. Rosemary Storaska

CNN is doing a butcher job over something Hillary had little to do with given the racial nature of this race and deliberating swaying black votes. CNN has NO right to broadcast its bias against Hillary during a state primary time period. THIS IS PLAINLY WRONG! We are smart people who understand the corporate connection between Obama and the CNN structure as all one has to do is follow the money flow online. Yes, this campaign has always been about race. How can one deny that fact given Obama's sourthern take? Give us a break, CNN. Reporting about the sexual offense of President Clinton given the news over the New York Senator the same day is out of line. DELIBERATE PERSUASION! Asking the black outgoing pollers if they trust Hillary. One does not have to be Einstein to see where your journalistic approach is heading. Trust me. Ask white Hillary supporters if they would vote for Obama and the answer will be NO. We have learned one thing during this primary and that is the US remains "racially" divided. Yes, he is black and he is in a position where truth based in evidential fact should be aired without the racial connotation being waved like a flag.

March 11, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  19. Hillarity I

This just in:

Hillary signed the Declaration of Independence.

What a gal, what experience–NOT.

March 11, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  20. tony adams

I am in constant prayer for Obama and his family. I vote for God and that he uses Obama for His Glory.

If this country is continually divided, we will never get anywhere with race relations.

Stay in prayer for this brother who will be used by the power of God.

Lord use Him! Lord protect Him!

March 11, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  21. maya

Case in point the comments about "uneducated" Hillary supporters. Really- does that mean that approx 50% of Dems are uneducated? It's silly to point out- and actually offensive- but I'm a PhD professional and ALL of the Hillary supporters that I know are MDs, RNs, teachers, and working moms, firefighters, cops- the backbone of our country. We come in all shapes and sizes and we are all Dems and proud of it.

March 11, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  22. Obama Supporters......

No Obama on the ticket at all! Clinton/Edwards....

Obama is so green he doesn't even know the well known position of Lou Dobbs on immigration? Now I can really have concerns over what else this guy does not know!

No nuclear weapons! (Obama is pro nuclear weapons)
    No amnesty (Obama is pro amnesty)
    No Obama (to green – forget black for a minute)

March 11, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  23. Chanel

the media and these racially motivated polls exit polls are what is dividing this race. Its disturbing to see the ignorance and vulgar comments made.

March 11, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  24. Obama #1

Hillary can only win big States.

March 11, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  25. Kim Allen

Again today the Monster tried to fault Obama on his plan to bring our brave troops home in sixteen months. Does this Machevellian hypocrite think that we have forgotten that Hillary first said that she would not withdraw the troops only to later try to upstage Obama and say that she would start withdrawing in sixty days. The woman is totally shameless.

March 11, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |