March 11th, 2008

Pelosi: Joint ticket 'impossible'

Pelosi said Tuesday a so-called 'Dream Ticket' won't happen.
Pelosi said Tuesday a so-called 'Dream Ticket' won't happen.

(CNN) - A so-called "dream ticket" scenario – the idea that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama could join forces this fall - may have gripped the imaginations of Democrats nationwide – but you can list House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as a skeptic.

"I think that ticket either way is impossible," Pelosi told a New England Cable News reporter Tuesday, pointing to comments from Clinton and her campaign that implied Republican John McCain would make a better commander-in-chief than Obama.

"I think that the Clinton administration has fairly ruled that out by proclaiming that Senator McCain would be a better commander-in-Chief than Obama," she said.

She spoke bluntly about her view that a joint ticket was not in the cards, she said, because "I wanted to be sure I didn't leave any ambiguity."

The California Democrat, who has remained neutral throughout the party's primary process, said she remains an uncommitted superdelegate.

Related: Does Clinton benefit from so-called 'dream ticket' talk?

– CNN Associate Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi
  1. fred

Hillary told the truth, McCain would be better than Obama. I will vote for McCain for that very reason IF Obama is the nominee of the democratic party!!! I have never voted for a Republican...this will be a first and I am sure there are many more like me.

March 11, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. Mark-Texas

Shut up Nancy!!! You have no backbone!!! The Republicans have run all over you. I have now respect for you or for your plastic surgeon...get your money back girl.

March 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  3. Jim ( Independent )

Having Clinton on the ticket "top or bottom" would be like adding spoiled food to good food and wondering why it all went bad.

March 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. lee23444

My guess is that following the Mississippi Primary, if the results break decisively for Obama (>55%), a slew of Supers will announce their support for Obama over the next few days, effectively putting the nomination out of Clinton's reach for good.

March 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. Ken

Hillary supporters keep bringing up rezko.

I have 2 words for you: PETER PAUL coming to a theatre near you, April 08.

Oh and by the way, the Clintons have had dealings with Rezko also. And Obama is not implicated in any dealings.

March 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. aliou

VIVA OBAMA. GO OBAMA O8

MCCAIN-CLINTONS THE DREAM (NIGHTMARE) TEAM

BILLARY-MCCAIN THE NIGHTMARE TEAM.

March 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. bj

Looks like another bad judgment call for Hillary. This one will destroy the democractic party. Thanks Hillary

Woodbridge VA

March 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. Stephen

I think Pelosi has seen the damage that the Obama campaign has caused. It is incredibly devisive

March 11, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Angelina Julie

Hillary's right on! John McCain WOULD make a better president than Obama. What she failed to mention is he'd make a better president than her too ;)

March 11, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. DR.Mimi De La Cruz

HILLARY HAS SUPPORTED THE BUSH MCCAIN POLICY MORE THAN SOME REPUBLICANS. WHAT WOULD SEN. OBAMA DO WITH HER ?

March 11, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. kg

WOW. THIS IS HUGE!

March 11, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  12. Rohit

MCillary March 11th, 2008 3:46 pm ET

Obama And Pelosi

MCcain and Hillary

Now this is funniest line of the blog so far...funny and very accurate as to how things should be. I can trade Pelosi for McCaskill. Pelosi is doing a good job as speaker.

March 11, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  13. Matt Kachaluba

What gives Clinton the nerve to talk about a joint ticket anyway? She's LOSING, and WILL NOT win the nomination unless Obama gets screwed out of it at the convention. Why would Barack ever want her on the ticket? Clinton on the ticket is the only thing that will bring the Republicans out to vote. John McCave sure isn't going to do it.

March 11, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. Judi

I agree with Nancy Pelosi. It is unfortunate that the democratic party is going to lose another opportunity to gain the presidency. In 2000, the Clinton's scandals & lies sparked the,"moral majority" that took the election from Gore. In 2008, the selfishness & "negative politics" of the Clintons will eventually result in the election of McCain.

March 11, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. Not smart

As is Obama so is Pelosi "Not Smart". If Obama is the nominee McCain is the winner in Nov

March 11, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  16. Mark Webb

Democrats: Stop the Clinton's mafia, NOW!

March 11, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. Summer

To Garry Lemons of Arkansas: You're wrong on the facts. At this point in the race, Obama is AHEAD in the popular vote, by about 600,000 votes. If you're going to try to tell other people how to vote, at least get your facts straight.

March 11, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  18. Nat NJ

Yes but it will never happen!! The Clintons represent old style kitchen-sink nasty politics whatever it takes to get ahead whereas Obama stands closer in values to McCain . Bothe men seem decent and not your typical politicians.
    CLinton needs Obama... but Obama should never consider the CLintons God knows what they would do to undermine him and get to that President seat!!

March 11, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  19. Antonio

i think Pelossi would be a better president than Hillary...

OBAMA 08

March 11, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  20. Jane MN

When Hillary plays the “experience” card, I believe neither Clinton nor Obama stands very strong in the argument about foreign policy experience, at least comparing with McCain. However, the difference between Obama and Clinton is, Obama has acknowledged it, but Clinton has intentionally made false claims to glorify herself. This just confirms one point with me: Clinton lacks integrity not only to be a country’s leader but also to be an ordinary human being. Hillary will NEVER get my vote.

March 11, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  21. Mark

This fall, the democrats can only beat themselves...

March 11, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. JH

only FOOL still trust clintons

March 11, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  23. Melissa- LETS GET REAL AMERICA

clinton is trying to steal this nomination from obama AT ALL COSTS even if it means putting a republican in the White House. Is this who you want to be your leader??? Whats all this foreign policy experience she is talking about it is turning out to be a bunch of HOT AIR.
    Clinton supporters – put it to bed. No one is being sexist against your candidate. Its funny how you only call the sexist card when someone in your camp points out that Obama wouldn't be where he was if he weren't black
    Coem again with the CLINTON DOUBLE STANDARDS. America we dont have time for their lies and mind games. Do something for your country – vote Obama

March 11, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  24. Deb

When Nancy Pelsoi was named speaker of the House I cried and jumped up and down and told everyone I could Democracy is alive again!

I had such hopes.....now she makes me sick to my stomach, what happened? How did they get to her? She always looks heavily drugged!

I no longer value anything she might have to say!

March 11, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  25. Chyrel, Chicago Illinois

Well said madame speaker. I too feel the exact same way. Shame on Hillary she is absolutely the most duplicitous person I've ever seen. I had no idea until these primaries of just how unsavory Clinton's character could be. It would appear she and Bill are better mated/suited than anyone ever knew.

March 11, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |