March 11th, 2008

Pelosi: Joint ticket 'impossible'

Pelosi said Tuesday a so-called 'Dream Ticket' won't happen.
Pelosi said Tuesday a so-called 'Dream Ticket' won't happen.

(CNN) - A so-called "dream ticket" scenario – the idea that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama could join forces this fall - may have gripped the imaginations of Democrats nationwide – but you can list House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as a skeptic.

"I think that ticket either way is impossible," Pelosi told a New England Cable News reporter Tuesday, pointing to comments from Clinton and her campaign that implied Republican John McCain would make a better commander-in-chief than Obama.

"I think that the Clinton administration has fairly ruled that out by proclaiming that Senator McCain would be a better commander-in-Chief than Obama," she said.

She spoke bluntly about her view that a joint ticket was not in the cards, she said, because "I wanted to be sure I didn't leave any ambiguity."

The California Democrat, who has remained neutral throughout the party's primary process, said she remains an uncommitted superdelegate.

Related: Does Clinton benefit from so-called 'dream ticket' talk?

– CNN Associate Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi
  1. Truth

This is one of the old tatics in the political book:

Seduce your opponet by offering him a role to play, but in the meantime, marginalize the importance of the role.

The problem with the tatic is that you only do that when you are ahead (or has more control) not when you are behind (or on the loosing track)...

By the way, CNN has caved to Hillary Clinton's media bias bull...

March 11, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. jill american

Hillary is addressing the joint ticket because there are many people in this country that want that to happen. Obama isn't addressing it because his ego won't allow it and he's going to pick a white man to run with. It's never going to happen either way.

March 11, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. matt

Garry Lemons, you are a racist. And the race card was brought by your girl Hillary. She is dividing the country not Obama. Obama has NEVER put down Hillary's supports. You can't say the same for Hillary.

March 11, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. Patrick

Sounds like Nancy is looking for a promotion from Speaker of
    da' House to Vice President !!!! If so, I am definitely voting for
    McCain.

March 11, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. Joan

I find this comment puzzling.

Either she is pitching to be Obama's VP, or she is just being stupid and divisive.

I dont care if she supports Obama, she has every right to. But for someone of her position to openly criticize the otherside is simply a reciepe for an oncoming disaster in the democratic party that may very well tear the party apart. I'm not sure what she is trying to do, but this is just silly.

March 11, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. S. Shay

Woo hoo! Jump on this Obama. Use Pelosi's argument in your next speech!

Down with the Clintons!

March 11, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. Eric, Elk Grove, Ca

Headlines: "OBAMA robbed of nomination!"
    Result: "Nader splits Democratic vote. Hail to McCain!"

Scary, but true.

OBAMA '08
    if not, then its
    MCCAIN '08

March 11, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  8. karen

Oh this is soooo much fun. As a Republican, I'm loving this soap opera. Let Shrillary and Obama keep attacking each other–makes McCain's job easier. Go McCain !!!

March 11, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  9. CW in DC

I'm taking all bets that Hillary will run as an Independent if she doesn't get the nomination!!

March 11, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  10. Rex

What?! Neither Clinton nor Obama wants to be the other's VP?! No!!! Given the typically oversized ego one must have to run for President, this should surprise no one.

March 11, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  11. Brandon

Can we democrats stop saying that the supporters of the other candidate are brainwashed, sheep, a cult, or idiotic?

The fact is Hillary supporters are impressed with her grasp of the issues and are not convinced Obama is ready. Obama supporters believe that he can bring real change from the bottom up my inspiring people and that Hillary represent the dishonesty and big money that is corrupting our system.

I have come to find that mostly children and zealots post on these political blogs. I rarely find a thought provoking post. Can't figure out why I spend so much time reading them... guess i just really want my guy to win!

Obama 08!

March 11, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  12. Oregon Voter

Unfortunately Pelosi has failed in her job and now she's trying to regain some popularity by riding on the back of Obama. She really should just endorse Barack because she's made her preference plain enough in the past month.

Fortunately for the people, Pelosi has no say in who will be president (other than her vote) and she has no say in who will be vice president.

March 11, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. NZ, NJ

To John Smith:

I have changed hillary's name to Obama so now let's see you answer THESE questions.....

Where is a single proof that Obama can deal with a Foreign Policy crisis? I await your answer_____

Where is a single proof that Obama can unite Republicans and democrats to implement real solutions for this nation?
    I await your answer_____
    (and please don't give "Oh Repub are voting for him b/c I have many Repb friends who voted for him just to laugh when McCain become president)

Given that "past behaviors" best tell what the individual will do in the future. What is the hope the scandals will not become evident during an Obama term?
    I await your answer_____
    (Just remember the word Rezko....it all starts somewhere and you are a fool to believe that this was just a boneheaded mistake.)

so....you
    Please be honest and give me actual data to each question

March 11, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  14. ray

Lets get real people, Hillary is getting desperate!, its such a shame because I believe her arrogance is what leaves a bad taste in my mouth.,I have yet heard her appologize to the citizens for any of her bad decisions especially her tactics. I believe she would rather leave the party divided than to look at the numbers and back down.
    and besides what is she hiding? give up the tax information and get away from cheating bill. She maybe a Democrat but her arrogance is much like the current leader. Its that attitude that we are right and the world is wrong that keeps the U.S. in Wars and looked at the guys to beat.....Just a reminder Hillary its not about YOU!!!!

March 11, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. Enrique

While Obama was helping the Democrats win Dennis Hastert's old district in Illinois, Hillary Clinton was praising John McCain and setting up the Democratic party for failure in November.

March 11, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. KMAN

Over the course of this campaign Hillary has managed to change my feelings about her from a benign distrust to downright loathing her! I was among those who early on would have voted for her if my candidate didn't get the nomination, but since I have a conscience I couldn't possibly bring myself to vote for such a loathsome and disingenuous human being!

March 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. Gerald

So much for keeping positive thoughts about the Democratic party. Pelosi had to go and be a Debbie Downer.

March 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. Jay

Thats OK, Hillary was just being nice to Obama. She dosent want him to throw a fit again. Boo Hoo, Eveyone picks on Obama. GROW UP!

March 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  19. Matt, Manchester, CT

Atta girl, Nance, keep up the good work on focusing on the real issues of the moment in Congress. Curse FISA and all the rest, let's speculate on which ticket won't work!

March 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Chris

At least she's honest and isn't buying into Clinton's political BS.

March 11, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  21. Samantha

There is no doubt that McCain would make a better Commander in Chief than Obama.

McCain is very knowledgable about foreign affairs. He is very experienced in domestic policy – including supporting and implementing real "change" for which many Republicans have reviled him. He is a hero and he knows the military, inside and out.

There was no party "unity" here. Obama's legions of groupies and troopies are intoxicated with his grand dreams, good looks and yes, he is intelligent.

But Obama is no John McCain. He is no John Kennedy (sorry Ted).

On another site I saw an Obama/Lincoln comparison so ridiculous because Lincoln took the toughest stands, thought about them a long, long time and executed them, making him a great Divider during his term, though his sober, stubborn divisiveness saved or recreated the Union. What they have in common is the power of words, the ability to speak. But Lincoln had something to say.

March 11, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  22. Kris

I'm stunned at the people who think that Pelosi would say this because she is "jealous" oh Hillary. Doesn't anyone get it? Hillary had the black vote sewn up (check polls from last year) and blew it with her and Bill's negative campaign in SC. Now she and her team and supporters are offending women by acting as though we have some ulterior,insecure motive for not voting for her.

Well, all I can say is that I DID vote for Ferraro and I DID NOT vote for Hillary. I have no fear of strong women and was fully compfortable with Ferraro a heartbeat from the Presidency. I just prefer Obama for President this time.

March 11, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  23. HH

Hopefully more high powered democrats stand up and chase Billary out.

March 11, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  24. Dave

Blame Hillary for every conceivable ill faced by this nation. That's what Obama supporters are doing. They don't have anything good to say about their candidate than hope, thus attack your opponent. I never heard any details about his economy turnaround plan and never seen detail outline of how he is going to withdraw troops. Instead of spending time on Hillary, spend a little time on your own agenda.

March 11, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  25. Christian, Tampa FL

At least she tells it like it is.

March 11, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |