March 11th, 2008

Pelosi: Joint ticket 'impossible'

Pelosi said Tuesday a so-called 'Dream Ticket' won't happen.
Pelosi said Tuesday a so-called 'Dream Ticket' won't happen.

(CNN) - A so-called "dream ticket" scenario – the idea that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama could join forces this fall - may have gripped the imaginations of Democrats nationwide – but you can list House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as a skeptic.

"I think that ticket either way is impossible," Pelosi told a New England Cable News reporter Tuesday, pointing to comments from Clinton and her campaign that implied Republican John McCain would make a better commander-in-chief than Obama.

"I think that the Clinton administration has fairly ruled that out by proclaiming that Senator McCain would be a better commander-in-Chief than Obama," she said.

She spoke bluntly about her view that a joint ticket was not in the cards, she said, because "I wanted to be sure I didn't leave any ambiguity."

The California Democrat, who has remained neutral throughout the party's primary process, said she remains an uncommitted superdelegate.

Related: Does Clinton benefit from so-called 'dream ticket' talk?

– CNN Associate Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi
  1. Shannon Shiflett

thank you - the highest ranking democrat puts the issue to rest - it was nothing more than dirty politics, another attempt by the clinton's to manipulate their followers.

March 11, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  2. MCillary

Obama And Pelosi

MCcain and Hillary

March 11, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. Rebecca - CA

Nancy is right.... The possibility of a joint ticket dissolved when Sen Clinton began her negative attacks. At that point it became clear to me that she cared more about winning the white house for herself than serving the country. Her priorities are very clear now, and after her many attempts to diminish Sen. Obama's candidacy, a uniting of these two candidates would not be beieveable.

March 11, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  4. LoveOBAMA

Looks like the superdelegates know Hillary has divided the party just cannot bluntly say so. Hillary is divisive and disrespectful, then expects someone to team up with her. In Bill's words, Give me a break.

March 11, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  5. Ron, Las Vegas

At least she is a realist about the so called dream ticket. I think probably because it would be a three person ticket than just a two person ticket. Hillary would not be second to Obama after all she has said about him, and he would not want to be second to her and Bill. Besides it looks as if she is setting him up for a lose in November if she does not get the nomination.

March 11, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  6. gbolee

Yes...it's impossible....

This woman is really intelligent..I think she would make a better VP than Clinton...

March 11, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  7. michael, ny

Thank God someone in this world can still think.

I dont know how the media can take Hillary seriously. If she did not have Clinton name attached to her name, nobody would be listening to her. But because of her hubby, she can throw the most illogical argument and people will be begging for more.

Stop this madness already and send the clintons home so the party can unite around a common purpose. Enough is enough.

March 11, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. R P

At least she knows that this whole thing is a mess. There have been too many mistakes by the DNC. The primary will be settled in court. We all loose.

March 11, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. Joe

She is such an idiot. The more she speaks the more I can't believe she's third in line to the Presidency.

March 11, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. I and I

It's called a dream ticket because Hillary's dreaming if she thinks she can win.

March 11, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. ACFX

Finally, let's put this one to rest.
    How does Hillary get on the ticket now without a party implosion?

March 11, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  12. Angela, Cleveland, OH

Both of these candidates need to get over themsleves. They have one mission and that is to regain the White House and turn it into a place of honor once again.

Just how they do this? Work together for the good of America. We now have evil people trying to distroy our country from within. Good people with our best interest at heart must take control.

They both are good. They need to do the right thing.

Nancy, this should be your mission to combine them into one unbeatable ticket for us. Don't ever tell us "impossible".

I prefer one over the other, but combined as a team? My vote is guaranteed.

March 11, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  13. Jeff - Illinois

"may have gripped the imaginations of Democrats nationwide"

which Democrats? Hillary Clinton is running primarily for herself, and secondarily for John McCain. Anyone with more than a 6th-grade education should know Obama would never join a Hillary Clinton ticket. It is a sure-loser versus McCain, and would basically fly in the face of everything Obama has spoken for. Conversely, Hillary as Obama's veep would hurt, not help his ticket.

March 11, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  14. Gary Peterson

Pelosi is correct. There is no way Clinton can serve on a ticket, as candidate for president or vice president, with a person that she and her campaign have taken many pains to describe as unqualified. The jig is up, and the game over, on the possibility of a dream ticket. Clinton's self-obsessed, scorched-earth policy has made that certain.

March 11, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. melchg

I agree. What's Hillary going to say to that? Hillary's own word are going to end her campaign. I say let this race go on and let her keep opening her fat mouth. Let all the clinton supporters see her true side. I've already heard many people who already voted for her wish they had it back now since she started opening her mouth and showing her true colors.

March 11, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  16. abu

its impossible

March 11, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  17. JT

Another example of why it is obvious that Hillary is saying anything to win.

Pelosi knows a joint ticket isn't possible... Hillary knows it too.

But she is willing to fib the possibility to people in order to lure them into more votes.

March 11, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  18. Pennsylvania for Obama

I agree with Pelosi on this one. There is no way Obama would want to be teaming up with Hillary and Bill after they have so negatively and personally attacked him.

Obama should pick John Edwards as his VP and this will help him carry the rural, blue collar vote and the south.

March 11, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  19. change1

YES! How can Hilary support a republican for president when we are trying to get them out of the white house? It shows Hilary will say anything just to get this nomination! Her own words show a lack of wisdom and judgement.
    Lesson–BILARY, be slow to speak! Wise up, this is not a do or die affair. Dont be a sell out.

March 11, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  20. NAMANDE - MA

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO JOINT TICKET. LET EACH OF THESE PEOPLE SINK ON THEIR OWN. WE ARE DEALING WITH ENOUGH ALREADY!! WHO WANTS TO SEE PEOPLE MATCHING IN THE STREETS ????

IN MY OPINION HILLARY SHOULD EXIT GRACEFULLY NOW OR RISK BEING HATED EVEN MORE. BY THE WAY I AM A DIE HARD SUPPORTER OF HER BUT I WOULD HATE TO SEE HER USING THE SUPERDELEGATES TO OVERTURN THIS.

HILLARY IS LOSING BECAUSE SHE IS SMART. SHE IS BEING VOTED OUT BY THE REPUBLICANS/ HATERS WHO SET OUR AFTER KERRY LOST TO STOP HER. THEY HAVE SUCCEEDED.

March 11, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  21. DVW

Jack,
    I am a New Yorker that voted for Clinton as our senator and supported her during the White House years. Her presidential campaign has shown such an mean spirited, divisive, "slash & burn" mentality, that I would not vote for her in November no matter what happened. I believe she has conducted herself in a disgraceful manner and conducted an underhanded dirty campaign. I would also never vote for her again here in New York. As a matter of fact, I hope we can find a strong "real" New Yorker to go against her here when her term is up. Many other New Yorkers are starting to feel the same way.

As far as our convention is concerned, I am fearful that this will indeed become uglier as Clinton continues to use whatever tactics she can to take the nomination. If she starts stealing pledged delegates etc., I'm afraid we might see protests at our convention when young disillusioned voters feel the nomination was stolen from them. I do not believe that Obama supporters will vote for her in any large numbers. Would she still be competitive without them? Probably not! Are there no leaders in our party who can stop this craziness? There must be someone out there who can see this is headed down a wrong way.

March 11, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. Geez

I love to see the Democrats fight among themselves...

March 11, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  23. Juan from L.A.

I believe Pelosi sees the damage the Clinton machine is causing to the party already.

March 11, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  24. Kevin

Play with matches, Sen. Clinton, you're going to get burned. Once the Clinton campaign started stumping for John McCain, it was just a matter of time before Democrats started dumping her in droves.

March 11, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  25. dee

Please ...Now she decides for Obama and Clinton. She has been so ineffective in her position. I do not believe she should make any comment about what either of these campagins decide to do. The party is now so split and much is to blame on the weak leadership of the Democratic party for the past 4 years. Whatever anyone thinks there will have to be comprimise. A true leader would know that and keep their mouth closed in public. No one has named her as vice president material and it is not hard to understand why.

March 11, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |