March 12th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a primary season extension

The primary season is about to get a bit longer.
The primary season is about to get a bit longer.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Right after Barack Obama won the Mississippi Democratic Primary, I had a chance to speak with him. Two points that he made stand out in my mind: 1) that he’s open to possibly having Hillary Clinton serve as his vice presidential running mate; and 2) that he believes there eventually will be make-over Democratic contests in both Michigan and Florida.

That certainly doesn’t mean he would ask her to join his ticket - but it does mean he’s clearly not ruling it out.

She seems to have gone further in recent days, hinting that she would ask him to serve as her Vice Presidential running mate. Bill Clinton has made a similar point.

All this is happening despite the increasingly nasty exchanges that have been hurled against each other. Obama told me that he was “confident” that once the Democratic contest was resolved, “the party is going to be unified” in the battle against John McCain. An Obama-Clinton or Clinton-Obama ticket, many Democrats believe, would go a long way toward uniting the party.

On the make-over contests in Florida and Michigan, Obama expressed some concern about the logistics for another election. Will, for example, a mail-in ballot work? But he noted that conversations were currently underway between the campaigns and the Democratic National Committee. “I’m sure it will get sorted out,” he said.

Bottom line: get ready for the Michigan and Florida make-over elections in June – after the last scheduled contest in Puerto Rico, now expected to take place on June 1.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. dem08

Mail in vote is like absentee voting. We have been doing this for years. There is nothing wrong with that. Only for Obama. So is the DNC going to do what Obama wants, and disenfranchise the voters of Florida and Michigan. Is Howard Dean an Obama supporter, sure looking that way. If so, then we don't want to see Obama in Florida come November. Now start print the ballots and lets get on with it. Everyone else that doesn't live in Florid and Michigan shut the hell up and stay out of it. Let us vote and let our voices be heard. OBAMA IF YOU DON'T NEED OUR VOTES NOW , THEN YOU DON'T NEED THEM IN NOVEMBER!!!

I COULD JUST HEAR WOLF BLITZER COME NOVEMBER ON CNN "WE HAVE A PROJECTION TO MAKE, MCCAIN WINS THE STATE OF FLORIDA" LOL

March 12, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  2. jl

IF CLINTON CANNOT DENOUNCE AND REJECT FERRARO'S

COMMENTS AND EXCUSE HER FROM THE CAMPAIGN, THEN WHY

WOULD HE EVEN THINK OF CONSIDERING HER FOR VP.

SHE IS JUST AS GUILTY AS FERRARO FOR NOT MORE STRONGLY

REJECTING THOSE COMMENTS.

SHAME ON YOU HILLARY!!!!!!

March 12, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  3. Gabby

**shakes her head**.. I think the quote “Senator Clinton,” he told me, “is a very capable person, and, as I’ve said before, she’d be on anybody’s short list.” means Obama is being a gentleman and trying to be polite. He doesn't have the cruel harshness Clinton has. I'm sure Obama knows that if he has Clinton it will be his and the parties downfall, the man is no fool. I'm also sure he is aware of what the majority think of that woman. To be sure Clinton is on my short list also, it's titled People I Would Never Vote For

March 12, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. Mike

OBAMA, IF clinton was ahead, she would not be calling for a re-vote and neither would her supporters!!

DON'T FALL FOR IT!!! We want a President that will stand up for what is RIGHT!!!

MICHIGAN and The corrupt Florida system are at FAULT not YOU!!

WE LOVE YOU!!! STAND STRONG FOR CHANGE!!!

March 12, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  5. Margi

He did not say he would consider her, he said she would be on anyone's short list. He was being gracious.

March 12, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  6. Patrick

Please Wolf...... How can you be so naive to think either one would ask the other to be their running mate.

March 12, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  7. Mike

BILLARY IS DISENFRANCHISING THE OTHER STATES!!

DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT!!

STAND STRONG BARACK!!! It's you or no one!!

March 12, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  8. Debby

Hey Wolf, first off, how come CNN hasn't had Bill Clinton for a guest on either Larry King or Anderson Cooper like Michelle Obama is doing. Anderson made the comment about Chelsea but she doesn't give interviews so that was a moot point.

If they don't do Michigan or Florida over before the convention you are going to see a bitter split Democratic Party. James Carvel had it right do fundraisers from both camps to pay for the do-overs. Howard Dean is useless why they made him chairman is beyond alot of us Dems.

March 12, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  9. changing times

OK Wolf so you're pushing a Obama-Clinton, Clinton-Obama ticket I see. I thought this was a moot point.

People may come together to vote against the Repubs, but I think irreparable damage has been done within the party. I feel very sad and grieved over the negative and insulting comments about race I've experienced as a professional black female by my fellow democrats. and seeing the same returned in kind. I will never view this party with the same set of eyes. At least with the Republicans I know they pretty much hate me, now I know Dems are no different, they just hid it well.

Second, I agree with no revote, it's too time consuming and too many security and ethical issues have to be resolved. Just take the delegates and split them 50-50. Also take the poplar vote and split that 50-50. I believe that's fair and it doesn't give in to the states rule infraction. Didn't they breakd the rule because they wanted to have more influence on the party's nominee. Well if we revote or disperse the delegates as is they are getting just what they wanted. That would not be fair.

Maybe next time, they'll just wait their turn like the rest of us. The state's constituency should have their party leaders' heads over this.

March 12, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  10. angelo

The big problem with Obama, which he hides very well, is his political philosophy. He is a far left socialist, and the problem for McCain is to educate Americans to that fact. Unfortunately, millions of Americans are ignorant of the real issues and are motivated only by personality and charisma when electing a President. Fortunately, 50% of Americans never vote and again, fortunately, its the dumber half of the population.

I don't know what will happen in the general election if Obama is the Democrat nominee. Unfortunately, he appeals to the younger set, and although they rarely vote in significant numbers, this time more of them will come out and vote. That's why I am supporting Hillary for the Democrat nomination, but of course I will support McCain in the general election.

March 12, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. michael, ny

Wolf,

Give up the dream ticket idea. It wont happen.

I dont know why the media keep pushing Hillary.

With twice as many states won as Hillary
    With more delegates by any measure
    Plus the ability to inspire and bring young people in the political process.
    Not resorting to dirty trick like his opponent

If Obama was white, he would have been the nominee by now.

March 12, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. NEVEROBAMA

Obama is sooooo phony! What happened to his speech a couple of days ago "He was not running for Vice President and a joint ticket with her was obsurd". I guess he figured once the numbers came in Hillary supporters would not be voting for him in the General Election. Cause for concern Obama! Get over yourself and yes you won Mississippi but on to bigger states with bigger delegates. Hillary will kick your butt in Penn.

GO HILLARY!!
    GO HILLARY!!
    GO HILLARY!!

March 12, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  13. Mike

No do-over. Rules are rules.

March 12, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. Trina

I really don't believe there will be a dream team ticket either way. The politics have gotten too heavy handed with both candidates growling and showing their teeth. Either candidate would be hard pressed to come up with a palatable explanation for such a ticket in lieu of negative comments on both ends. The party would better have a chance at being unified if they both choose different running mates. Barack's best chances would be to select either a woman or someone like John Edwards if John still has the stomach to move forward. Edwards would be good for Hilary as well, but I think she will have the more difficult time as she has systematically begun alienating the youthful demographic as well as the educated, upwardly mobile demographic. Not to mention the African-Americans that have come out in record numbers. Her behavior may have lost Democrats the election.

March 12, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Geraldine Ferraro

This is silly. Just give it to Hillary. Obama would make a terrible candidate. I should know, I was the worst candidate ever.

March 12, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. BarbaraW

Cnn has gotten so biased in favor of Obama including you and especially Jack Cafferty.

March 12, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. Anthony

Wolf, the only one who read that out of his comment is YOU. You seem to be the only keeping this "dream ticket" scenario alive. Could you be anymore excited every time you mention it? Give it a rest!

March 12, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. Damion K. Miles

I think it's comical that no one was trying to get the delegates in Florida and Michigan to count before their primaries. I also think that the powers that be in each state who made the decision to move the primaries forward despite the ramifications should have to explain to the people of their states why their votes aren't being counted. There is no way that this can be made right. Either way that a re-vote would turn out would give one of the candidates a reason to complain. Let it be a lesson for the future.

March 12, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. Grif

I can't see how anybody can expect Hillary to play.

Second fiddle for him.

You don't have a Business that you have so much experience.

And then employ an Apprentice to take charge.

March 12, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. glhf

Clinton on any ticket is doomed to defeat. I'd love to see a revote in my home state of Florida. Michigan should have one as well. Obama has the lead now...all he has to do is hold it.

March 12, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. Margi

Obama has six weeks to close a 15 point lead by Hillary. Once he hits the ground in Pennsylvania, its all over.

March 12, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. Gary

I think everyone wants to find a way to seat the delegates from Michigan and Florida and yet validate the DNC process. It would make sense to have a re-do to accomplish this. That being said it needs to be fair and it still needs to validate the DNC rules, thus Michigan and Florida need to be penalized. I liked the GOP approach of penalizing 1/2 the delegates when they had to punish their states for the same violation.

My question is at this stage of the game...would a re-do be worth the cost to hold ?. It appears that the only 'real' effect it would have is to close the gap between Obama and Clinton. The DNC needs to balance the cost, the effect, and the benefit of seating the fine people of Florida and Michigan with a delegation of some sort. The DNC needs to determine how likely Clinton can come back and make up ground with the superdelegates. Time is running out. It takes time to organize a re-do.

I would hope Pelosi, Dean and senior DNC officials can work something out with Florida and Michigan soon or they may need to intercede and settle the nomination before it gets ugly. The key is to win in November. Everything that gets in the way needs to be resolved quickly and decisively

March 12, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. Jim - Tucson

In a earlier post Army Veteran said

"Anyone with 5th grade math skills can see that she (Hillary) cannot win."

Apparently there's not one person in the media that has 5th grade math skills.

March 12, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. Tom Wittmann

I do not understand how a allegedly experienced man as Wolf Blitzer
    could write the last paragraph of above article.

Senator Obama factually didn't answer any of his questions, by not
    taking position, which I conider very reasonable at this stage

TOM

March 12, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. l. hawks

Your "national poll of polls" on the CNN Politics homepage has been mired at 50% Obama/40% Clinton for weeks, although the numbers have changed considerably. How about an update.

March 12, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |