March 12th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a primary season extension

The primary season is about to get a bit longer.
The primary season is about to get a bit longer.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Right after Barack Obama won the Mississippi Democratic Primary, I had a chance to speak with him. Two points that he made stand out in my mind: 1) that he’s open to possibly having Hillary Clinton serve as his vice presidential running mate; and 2) that he believes there eventually will be make-over Democratic contests in both Michigan and Florida.

“Senator Clinton,” he told me, “is a very capable person, and, as I’ve said before, she’d be on anybody’s short list.”

That certainly doesn’t mean he would ask her to join his ticket - but it does mean he’s clearly not ruling it out.

She seems to have gone further in recent days, hinting that she would ask him to serve as her Vice Presidential running mate. Bill Clinton has made a similar point.

All this is happening despite the increasingly nasty exchanges that have been hurled against each other. Obama told me that he was “confident” that once the Democratic contest was resolved, “the party is going to be unified” in the battle against John McCain. An Obama-Clinton or Clinton-Obama ticket, many Democrats believe, would go a long way toward uniting the party.

On the make-over contests in Florida and Michigan, Obama expressed some concern about the logistics for another election. Will, for example, a mail-in ballot work? But he noted that conversations were currently underway between the campaigns and the Democratic National Committee. “I’m sure it will get sorted out,” he said.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Tina, TX

skylark,
    One Planet: Mother Earth
    One Race: Melting pots
    Most Dirty Laudry: Obama and his campaign
    Best and smart choice: Hillary
    We and million of people out there can feel the pure hate from the Obama supporters like you. One thing you should know that, Obama will NEVER EVER NEVER EVER get the votes from me, my family, and all of my friends!

March 12, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. kent smith

I'm an independent and for Obama but I'm already disenfranchised because independents are not allowed to vote in the primaries in Florida.
    So much for democracy

March 12, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. DrFill

If one candidate can get through the primaries with the vote and delegate lead, that is who the majority of the superdelgates will vote for.
    Obama is returning her volley, but has no intention of letting that Circus into his House.
    He'll find a postal worker, or someone less maniacal, to run with.
    He could run with a Polar Bear and win in November.
    DrFill

March 12, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. Rory

"Bottom line: get ready for the Michigan and Florida make-over elections in June – after the last scheduled contest in Puerto Rico, now expected to take place on June 1."

Doesn't that make the MT and SD primaries on June 3 the last scheduled contests, or did those dates change too?

March 12, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. Belle

Here we go again....copycat Obama...Certainly Hillary supporters are NOT going to fall for Obama's "Okey Dope"

Or whatever the hell he calls it. He is a master at taking offense over comments that are NOT racial, and stirring up the Black vote. On the OTHER side...WOMEN, who have be treated as property, not been allowed to be educated, did not get to vote...could not work...got beated, raped and killed when they did NOT obey their Husbands...and finally rebelled in the 1900s (Does this sound familiar to you Obama supporters)?

When he slights women and makes derogatory comments about Clinton, she stays silent...WHY? BECAUSE Sexism is acceptable in America and Racism is not.

March 12, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  6. Fernando Vega

They already are a ticket. Please parties have strategies and research data. They know who will win despite swells in some states and periods of " momentum". They know and have known that it will be Hillary and Barack in that order. It is about longevity. 16 years. It is not this primary election or who will be the nominee. They all know. They pre decide who will back who. It is all theatrics. You heard it from Fernando Vega first

p.s. State sanators do no get plucked from obscurity to give key note party speeches unless they are to be placed on an intended path. key word intended. What do thge democrats intend on doing. I know

Hillary and Barack 16 years They know. It is called strategic party planning. I love it this plan and I have for a year. I called it

March 12, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  7. Randy - Denver

dem 08 do you rememebr the problems in 2000 and 2004 with absentee ballots? not all arrived on time (although sent early), not all could be verified as accurate so it is not a fool proof method and as Florida and Michgan have shown the local parties ARE fools...

March 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  8. Andrew K.

Let it go, Wolf. You're being disingenuous.

The speaker of the house just shot down Clinton's tactic to offer a magical dream ticket. Its not going to happen, its just Hillary's way of getting people to vote for her in the here and now.

And of course you'd be pushing for a re-vote in your column. Wolf, you are the most biased "political analyst" I've seen in awhile. We all know Martin is pro-Obama, but at least he's honest and open about it. YOU on the other hand are spinning your opinions and hopes into so-called facts.

March 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  9. Randy - Denver - The Answerman

I think we should allow Michigan and Florida to vbote anyway they want, write the names on a piece of paper with a crayon for all I care. Then it should be a winner take all (like the republicans do no one cries about that). Finally the delegates should be awarded to the winner everyone happy.. Oh yeah did I mention that each state would only get one delegate.. thats what happens when you violate rules folks!

March 12, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. R Cooper

Question: If the positions were reversed in Michigan and Florida and Obama won the popular vote in these states and Hillary was not on the Michigan ticket would the Clinton camp be presssing the issue? You know the answer..... ABSOLUTELY NOT! I can't wait to see what trick the Clinton camp has up their sleeve next!!! Nice try!

March 12, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. John in Texas

Im thinking if Hillary's plan is to split the vote so that she can do the Lieberman and run as an independent. I wish she would have fought as fiercely against the Republicans in the Senate as she is doing against Obama.

March 12, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. kate

Geraldine Ferraro's comments are not fact, they are opinion. Hers.
    For the first time ever, people are responding because of a candidates ability to speak to them, and are not seeing ' color'.
    Race is not the issue here, remember, initially black voters did not consider Obama black enough. THE MESSAGE matters more.

March 12, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. polly molly

I just want to know what is with CNN and the Clintons..................

March 12, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  14. polly molly

I dont think many of the supporters for Obama would vote for him if he gets her involved, she is not good news, at all..............
    her new campaing slogan and is working : Racism.

she is a shame to this whole country............

March 12, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  15. Mark N

Why didn't Hillary and her supporters complain like this before the Florida and Michigan election? I agree what happened is wrong but it is just ignorant to say just seat the delegates the way they are, and it is not Barack's fault it was not his decision. If you want to blame anyone blame the DNC and blame Hillary for not complaining six months earlier when something could be done about it.

March 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  16. Texas4Obama

Hey CNN:

Why isn't there an article and photo on the CNN PoliticalTicker regarding Senator Obama and his news conference this afternoon with the NINE flag Generals and Admirals???

I have not seen ONE thing on CNN today about this other than the live video link earlier today.

Come on and play fair!

March 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  17. r

Wolf stop being so dumb .... read between the lines .... BO doesn't think for a moment that HRC is a viable veep for him, he is just being polite saying "she would be on anyone's list", and "sort itself out" means if we do nothing, then the credentials committee (which we will control) will seat them 50-50 ....

March 12, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  18. INDY 4 Obama

Obama is the MOST qualified to be our next President.

March 12, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  19. Rachel

Since I cant leave my comment in the ferraro resigns I will leave it here. Don't be fooled Obama wont ask Hillary to be vp.

Obama camp got what it wanted her ferraro resignation and the supporters are still not happy. Anf for the record Obama supporter who called hillary a monster wasnt fired either she resigned too. Democrates are going to lose the white house and we have only ourseleves to blame.

March 12, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  20. Russ

Who should be held accountable for this mess. Florida and Michigan broke the DNC rules. So if i was Obama I would'nt want their votes to count either since his name was not even on the Ballot in Michigan

March 12, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  21. Ron R

Obama is leading in delegates, states won and votes....I will leave the rest of the spin and rhetoric to those who either need it or thrive on it. What more does this guy have to do? WAKE UP PEOPLE

March 12, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  22. lucky

America choose a Clinton , Expect more of what the Clintons are good at ; that is they are out for themselves and their cronies . When she is done with you , she will switch the lights off , on her way out !!!

March 12, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  23. OBAMA 08

SEN. OBAMA THEN BETTER KEEP AN EYE ON INTERS & CHINA.

March 12, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  24. nick

Wolf I will bet you that Obama would not pick Billary to run to the corner with him. No way. He made a good choice in not wanting to go to war and we trust him now. If he chose Billary to run we would have to question his though process. That 0300 may need someone else on the other line if he picks her to run with him.

March 12, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  25. Kathy, Andover

You're funny, Wolf! You always keep that objective stance. However, when it comes to that "Dream Ticket" you LIGHT UP! You just want it so bad, you can taste it. Am I right?

My respect for both Clintons has gone out the window. I not only don't want Hillary to win. I doN'T want Barack to stoop down to a "Dream Ticket" level. I just want Barack Obama, for our next President.

March 12, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |