March 12th, 2008

Breaking: Ferraro steps down

Ferraro stepped down after several days of controversial remarks.
Ferraro stepped down after several days of controversial remarks.

(CNN) – Geraldine Ferraro has stepped down from her role as a member of Hillary Clinton's finance committee.

In a letter to Clinton obtained by CNN's Suzanne Malveaux - who spoke with the former vice presidential candidate shortly after she sent it to Clinton - Ferraro said she is stepping down so, "I can speak for myself and you can continue to speak for yourself about what is at stake in this campaign."

In a phone conversation with Malveaux, Ferraro said she was not asked to step down by Senator Clinton or her campaign.

Ferraro said thousands of people are part of the finance committee, saying it is not a staff position, but a voluntary one for those who raise money for the campaign. She also said she has raised $125,000 for Senator Clinton.

When asked if she had any regrets about what she said, Ferraro replied, "absolutely not."

"I am who I am and I will continue to speak up," she said. She added that she thought it was a shame that the Obama campaign was trying to block her First Amendment rights, and that she felt that was no way to conduct a campaign.

She said, "it's not me slicing and dicing," a reference to Obama's comments earlier in the day accusing Ferraro of dividing the party.

Ferraro said David Axelrod, Obama's campaign manager and an acquaintance, should have called her to ask her the intention of her remarks, which she says the Obama campaign used to hurt Clinton.

When asked how she felt about Hillary Clinton distancing herself from her remarks, Ferraro replied, "I am perfectly fine," and that there were no hard feelings. She said she understands what Clinton is going through, and understands that being part of a presidential campaign is "very hard."

Full letter:

Dear Hillary –

I am stepping down from your finance committee so I can speak for myself and you can continue to speak for yourself about what is at stake in this campaign.

The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen.

Thank you for everything you have done and continue to do to make this a better world for my children and grandchildren.

You have my deep admiration and respect.

Gerry

(Updated 6 p.m. ET with additional reporting.)

CNN's Matt Hoye contributed to this report.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. kim portland, oregon

shut up, and GO AWAY!!! BOTH of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 12, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  2. Tim

Or they are attacking you because you are, in fact, a racist. If the Clinton campaign doesnt "denounce and reject" her in addition to accepting this resignation, the damage will be permanent.

March 12, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. bond

Ferraro: "P.S. and one more thing I forgot to mention. I found a new position as the publict for David Duke."

March 12, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. Mike

Go getem' Gerry!

March 12, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  5. Gini

Bye bye racist lady...

March 12, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  6. Matt Los Angeles

Newsflash for Geraldine Ferraro. Barack Obama is white. Half white. She's right when she says she's not a racist. She's a 'deep seated racist'. That is a fact.

March 12, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  7. Christian, Tampa FL

This is why Hillary shouldn't win the nomination. Ferraro does not appear to be the exception in the Clinton camp, but more like the rule. This is hardly an apology and her comments were unacceptable. The whole Clinton posse seems to be all about tearing the Democratic party into pieces.

March 12, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  8. Micheal

We are all free to make fools of ourselves. Have at it Gerry.

March 12, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. Ben from D.C.

Please, let the door hit you on the way out.

March 12, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. Steve

Here come the obnoxious Hillary supporters to repost their same comments over and over. Look for the name of the poster to be Fred or Charlotte or some other name you always see when they spam.

March 12, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  11. Realistic

Hillary should reject and denounce Ferraro, although she can't at the risk of offending her core constituency of Mad Old Women and geezers with wheezers (seniors with oxygen bottles). Geraldine would be considered a young'un among Hillary supporters.

March 12, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  12. Joe

Hillary,
    I am leaving your campaign so I can continue to make racist remarks without it harming you.
    Thanks,
    Gerry

March 12, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  13. Haley Rodman Clemson

This is the year of the spineless Democrat! There are so many apologies, resignations and aligator tears on the campaign trail, it's disgusting. Ferraro said what we were all thinking and was absolutely right. That's not reason to step down, it is reason to be promoted.

March 12, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  14. Sam

Thank god! Good riddance. Hopefully you won't speak too much for yourself before you think a but about what is you are actually saying.

March 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  15. v.a.

OBAMA PLAYED THE RACE CARD BEFORE SOUTH CAROLINA ELECTIONS TO GET VOTES FROM AFRICAN AMERICANS AND AT THE SAME TIME HIS SUPPORTERS TRIED TO SHOW THAT THE CLINTONS WERE RACIAL AND NOW IT IS BACKFIRING AGAINST OBAMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  16. Doug, Florida

Good . About time

March 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  17. Steve, Seattle WA

Pleeeezzze Ms Ferraro.....get a grip!

March 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  18. Tim

At least she's handling it with grace.

/snark

March 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  19. Richard, FL

Reminds me of the song "One Less (dumb)Bell to Answer".

March 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  20. I TOO HAVE EXPERIENCE

GERRY YOU ARE SO FULL OF YOURSELF.

March 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  21. jan

Well what can I say. It is sad for our country that this woman is going to continue to talk in such ignorant uneducated ways. She give credence to the slang term "the ugly american"

March 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  22. Yeah Right

"Gerry" needs to start being responsible about what she said and quit blaming others.

March 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  23. Jonathan

weirdo

March 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  24. 4 shame

Whatever....Gerry

March 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  25. Kusa

Gag! Poor Geraldine! Blame the Obama camp for your stupidity!

March 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |