March 12th, 2008

Breaking: Ferraro steps down

Ferraro stepped down after several days of controversial remarks.
Ferraro stepped down after several days of controversial remarks.

(CNN) – Geraldine Ferraro has stepped down from her role as a member of Hillary Clinton's finance committee.

In a letter to Clinton obtained by CNN's Suzanne Malveaux - who spoke with the former vice presidential candidate shortly after she sent it to Clinton - Ferraro said she is stepping down so, "I can speak for myself and you can continue to speak for yourself about what is at stake in this campaign."

In a phone conversation with Malveaux, Ferraro said she was not asked to step down by Senator Clinton or her campaign.

Ferraro said thousands of people are part of the finance committee, saying it is not a staff position, but a voluntary one for those who raise money for the campaign. She also said she has raised $125,000 for Senator Clinton.

When asked if she had any regrets about what she said, Ferraro replied, "absolutely not."

"I am who I am and I will continue to speak up," she said. She added that she thought it was a shame that the Obama campaign was trying to block her First Amendment rights, and that she felt that was no way to conduct a campaign.

She said, "it's not me slicing and dicing," a reference to Obama's comments earlier in the day accusing Ferraro of dividing the party.

Ferraro said David Axelrod, Obama's campaign manager and an acquaintance, should have called her to ask her the intention of her remarks, which she says the Obama campaign used to hurt Clinton.

When asked how she felt about Hillary Clinton distancing herself from her remarks, Ferraro replied, "I am perfectly fine," and that there were no hard feelings. She said she understands what Clinton is going through, and understands that being part of a presidential campaign is "very hard."

Full letter:

Dear Hillary –

I am stepping down from your finance committee so I can speak for myself and you can continue to speak for yourself about what is at stake in this campaign.

The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen.

Thank you for everything you have done and continue to do to make this a better world for my children and grandchildren.

You have my deep admiration and respect.

Gerry

(Updated 6 p.m. ET with additional reporting.)

CNN's Matt Hoye contributed to this report.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Kareem from Hampton, Va.

Wow....this is getting really ugly.....

March 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  2. Nick

I'm still amazed that she has said that Obama is where he is because he is black, that she got where she got because she was a woman, but has not once said that Hillary is where she is because she is a woman.

March 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  3. Wes

This is sad what she started in the first place. Obama has won more white states than black. And if being black was his great push to success why didnt Jesse Jackson have the same sucess. And believe that a white man who had more time in elected office than hillary, always been against the War and based his campaign off Change he wouldnt be doing as well? Then think about this if this same white man had won 29+ states twice as many as hillary and the popular vote would he even be questioned as the nominee.

And one last question if her last name wasn't Clinton would she still be in it

OBAMA 08

March 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  4. Dayahka

Good riddance. She should have been asked to leave. Hillary's handling of this racist smear shows that she does not have the judgment to be a president–or vice-president, for that matter.

March 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  5. Ryan

The problem with the Clinton campain is the radical feminists, I have nothing against feminism, but I do have a problem with feminists who think they are the only ones in the history of the world that have been persecuted. From that they have a feeling of entitlement and the world owes them something, and I support Obama because he offers a vision of hope not negativity!

March 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  6. M. S. Indiana

1 down one to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  7. Brian

Geraldine Ferrara........the gift that just keeps on giving.

March 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  8. Cecilie, WA

I'm happy to hear that, for the sake of the Democratic Party.

March 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  9. Susan, New York, New York

Oh, throw up already.

March 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  10. Dan, Michigan

Notice the incoherence in the statement when she refers to making this a better world for her grandchildren. To do to make? Wha?
    I think she was crying at that point.

March 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  11. Melissa

Good bye and good riddance. I'd be happy if both candidates focused on the issues and stopped hurting each other through surrogates. The only person this helps is McCain.

March 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  12. trbleshter

SEE YA....

March 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  13. Amy in Iowa

Hillary should follow Geraldine Ferraro's lead.

Because Hillary should have apologized for endorsing McCain over Obama, Hillary should apologize for voting for the war in Iraq without reading the report, and Hillary should also release her joint tax returns for the past 6 years and her White House records.

There are quite a few things that Hillary should do but she hasn’t or just plain refuses to. And that is why we the voters should demand transparency and ethics from Hillary Clinton. So if Hillary continues to refuse, maybe Hillary should just go too.

March 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  14. Iowa

I absolutley agree – Ferraro and Hillary Clinton are doing a lousy job of representing the women of this country. It makes me ashamed.

15. Matt

am stepping down from your finance committee so I can speak for myself

Does this mean she'll continue to question whether Obama is qualified becuz of his race?

glad to see latent racists comments do not go unpunished.

16. Vincent

What a sacrifice! And why did the Clinton news Network had to show us the letter??? Obama campaign is hurting me to hurt you.. gerry you have no shame and so your master.

17. rich

Its about time Geraldine! Now..go quietly if you can. I think we all got your drift.

18. Lilia, from PA

Good that is what she should have done long time ago. her personal oppinion no body will be interested in hearing it. She can keep it to herself.

19. Mike Brian

What a pity for the democrat party! You can only resign to say the truth.

20. justin

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you.

I won't let that happen. "

LOL...is she kidding? it's a sad day when people can't own up to their own mistakes.

21. kg

Awww...Gerry. No one is attacking you. You made a very dumb statement and got called out on it. That's all.

22. Darknesse

Wow... Still looking for a "sorry for saying something incredibly stupid"...

23. Jackson Poolos

Oh, brother.

24. matt

A smart intelligent woman taken down by the evil campaign of Obama. This woman in no way was being racist however, Obama continues to racially divide the democrats. For this I will have to go mccain if he wins in august

25. Conan

Why's the mom from Eight is Enough stepping down from the Clinton Campaign?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9