March 13th, 2008

Damon, Affleck team up for Obama

Damon and Affleck are part of a new MoveOn.org contest for Obama.
Damon and Affleck are part of a new MoveOn.org contest for Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are teaming up for a new project, but this one probably won't lead to an Oscar.

The two actors are part of a new effort from MoveOn.org to create a television ad in support of Barack Obama's bid for the White House. The liberal group, which endorsed the Illinois senator last month, is asking its 3.2 million members to create a 30 second campaign commercial that "shows what inspires them about the senator's candidacy."

Damon and Affleck, along with film director Oliver Stone and singer John Legend, are among the panel of judges.

"After eight years of President Bush campaigning on fear and war, people are feeling hopeful again. They're eager to talk about what inspires them about our country - and Senator Obama leading it,” Eli Pariser, Executive Director of MoveOn said. “Since creative and grassroots energy has helped power Barack Obama’s campaign from the start, this contest is a great way to deliver that message of hope to voters in Pennsylvania and across the nation.”

In a statement, Affleck said the competition is "a chance for everyone, from aspiring filmmakers to armchair pundits, to raise their voices to put Obama over the top."

MoveOn says it will announce the winner before the crucial Pennsylvania primary which takes place early in April. It says the winning ad will air on national television but has not yet decided when. The winner will also win a gift certificate for $20,000 in video equipment.

The group held a similar competition in 2004, asking members then to create a "Bush in 30 Seconds" campaign ad. The organization received 1,500 entries in that contest.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • moveon.org
  1. Yeswecan

The problem with this junir senator is that he has not established the trust that he can be trusted for what he had done in the past. Since he had done nothing, other than had done some questionable money raising for himself.

March 13, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  2. Karen, NYC

All of my favorite men together. I love it!!!

Very serious Obama supporter, BTW, I'm a white middle aged woman!

Powerful Woman for No-Drama OBAMA!

March 13, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  3. dlr

Simply "Awesome"!!!

March 13, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  4. Amy in Iowa

All I can say is YES WE CAN!!!! Obama 08!!!

March 13, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  5. Dave

Yawn.

March 13, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  6. Ardnuas

EXCELLENT !!!!!
    Obama/Edwards08 Si Se Puede

March 13, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  7. VOTER FOR TRUTH AND DIGNITY IN AMERICA

Thank you Ben Afflack. I watched you campaigning with John
    Kerry in the Last Campaign. I prayed that John Kerry would win.
    I could see that your endorsement made a big difference to
    "The John Kerry Campaign." and if not for the tricky politics of
    the "Bush cronies" John Kerry would have won and you, like others
    were a good omen on Kerry's side. You have been my hero of a
    movie star since I have seen you at the Campaigns. Your wife, Jennifer is a beautiful woman and I love her too. Stay with Obama.

Retired Professional w/woman of 63 for OBAMA as President of the good ole USA. NO "DREAM TICKET" WITH HILLARY

March 13, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  8. Hillary is the best. (ObamaSucks@vote.com)

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck won't get my money for their movies from now on. And I won't let them take away my country by supporting Obama either.
    If people can't see how crooked Obama is, this country is in big trouble. He might not be as bad as Bush. But why take chance? Go with the smarter one! People. I will vote Hillary first, mccain second. No way I'll vote for Obama.

March 13, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  9. JR

Obama inspires me to reach beyond the stars where hopes can come true

March 13, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  10. EJB

I am tired of hearing about Hillary Clinton's supposed "experience". What experience does she really have? Maybe sleeping with Bill. The really sad part is that the media is buying into her little game. If you repeat a lie often enough it begins to sound like the truth. The bottom line is that no person other than an encumbent (2nd term president or former president) has the experience to be commander-in-chief on "day one". Now come on, American Media, report the truth.

March 13, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  11. Grif

I don't care who back's Obama! He still has to prove to me, he is All American. That goes for most of the Western World as well
    His word is not good enought for me, and wont be for another 2-3yrs after the way he has tried to seperate American beliefes for the past years of my Adult life.....

........................... Go Hillary go...... An "all American" to me.

March 13, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  12. Ben & Damon

Wow.

March 13, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  13. Paul from Kissimmee

Anybody catch Obama's wonderful minister's last tirade? Probably not if you watch CNN. You have to go to a channel that's not endorsing Obama daily. If you do see it, just remember, this man has been an inspiration for him.

March 13, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  14. Politico Jonze

Blah. I wish Hollywood would stay out of the elections. I think it just cheapens the candidate they are trying to support.

March 13, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  15. Dynamic Duo

This really is a movement. Young people, older people, black, white, green, yellow, brown, rich, poor–I'm in Obama heaven.

Thanks Ben and Damon–you rock!

March 13, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  16. Jake, California

Ok,
    if you support Hillary, make the following statements and do so because I am commanding to!

1. Who cares about Ben Affleck and Matt Damon?
    2. Celebrities don't matter
    3. Affleck and Damon are naive
    4. Who cares about moveon.org
    5. moveon.org's endorsement of Obama means nothing, it won't change anything!

If you support Obama, show your love for Ben and Matt and the moveOn.org people

Change is coming soon America, it's only a matter of getting the skeletons out of our way!

March 13, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  17. Michael, North Carolina

YES THEIR IS GOOD NEWS FOR SEN. OBAMA HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA ALSO. DALE EARNHEART JR. JUST ENDORSED SEN. OBAMA. SEN. OBAMA AND DALE EARNHEART JR. AMERICAN HERO'S

YES WE CAN
    OBAMA/EDWARDS '08

March 13, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  18. real steel

MoveON was created in 1998 for the purpose of defending Bill Clinton during the intern-oval office-sex scandal.

I don't think the Clintons really like MoveOn that much anymore :)

March 13, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  19. ScottC

Very nice.

I am for any support for Obama.

I wish I had the skill to edit video so I could enter.

March 13, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  20. La Petite Sorciere

YESSS, lets get this done and lets get the truth to the PA voters!!!!

thank you all artists, actors, musicians, teachers, farmers, contractors, students, kids, teens, moms, doctors, nurses, politicians, women, men, all peoples..............

We all stand a chance for change for our country...............

Go Obama.........

March 13, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  21. JB Cali

"After eight years of President Bush campaigning on fear and war, people are feeling hopeful again. They're eager to talk about what inspires them about our country — and Senator Obama leading it,”

That's a great distinction. Obama has a positive message while Hillary is still down with the fear and divide. She is as bad for our country as Bush/McCain.

March 13, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  22. Sarah T

Who cares who these under educated movie stars support. They only do this for their careers and to get attention. Why don't they spend their money on building homes for people in new Orleans, or helping schools in our cities. It is all very sad and materialistic.

March 13, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. Harvey

cannot believe these two line themselves up with self centered organization...

March 13, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  24. Billy Bleu

For the first time in my adult life....... I will vote republican! The democratic party is what the Sean Hannity's and Rush Limbaughs of the world have said it is.....CRAP!!! Obama has no experience and he has no solutions. JUST WORDS!!!! I can finally say democRATS Go to Hell!!

March 13, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  25. zina

What a great idea. I do hope that the Clinton supporters will not trash this posting. It's not knocking Hillary, they just want to give voice to the millions of people that support Obama's candidacy. We are all democrats. Let's respect each other for that.

Obama '08