March 13th, 2008

Damon, Affleck team up for Obama

Damon and Affleck are part of a new MoveOn.org contest for Obama.
Damon and Affleck are part of a new MoveOn.org contest for Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are teaming up for a new project, but this one probably won't lead to an Oscar.

The two actors are part of a new effort from MoveOn.org to create a television ad in support of Barack Obama's bid for the White House. The liberal group, which endorsed the Illinois senator last month, is asking its 3.2 million members to create a 30 second campaign commercial that "shows what inspires them about the senator's candidacy."

Damon and Affleck, along with film director Oliver Stone and singer John Legend, are among the panel of judges.

"After eight years of President Bush campaigning on fear and war, people are feeling hopeful again. They're eager to talk about what inspires them about our country - and Senator Obama leading it,” Eli Pariser, Executive Director of MoveOn said. “Since creative and grassroots energy has helped power Barack Obama’s campaign from the start, this contest is a great way to deliver that message of hope to voters in Pennsylvania and across the nation.”

In a statement, Affleck said the competition is "a chance for everyone, from aspiring filmmakers to armchair pundits, to raise their voices to put Obama over the top."

MoveOn says it will announce the winner before the crucial Pennsylvania primary which takes place early in April. It says the winning ad will air on national television but has not yet decided when. The winner will also win a gift certificate for $20,000 in video equipment.

The group held a similar competition in 2004, asking members then to create a "Bush in 30 Seconds" campaign ad. The organization received 1,500 entries in that contest.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • moveon.org
  1. LAW

If Obama is good enough for Hollywood, he is certainly good enough for, well, liberals I guess. This is truly investigative journalism at its finest. What a terrific breaking story.

I heard there might be some Michael Jackson news over on Fox (which is why I'm here).

March 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  2. Grif

I seem to have got the overall feeling.. The Movie "The Oman...

Has been mentioned here.....

March 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  3. Lisa in Cincy

The 1st 5 comments at the time of my comment prove this nation needs some HOPE!

The video contest is nothing but POSITIVE.
    All Haters take a nap!

March 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  4. hi

That is very good for obama. Don't hate guys!!

March 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  5. John, Euless, TX

NObama is not going to win the general election.

We need a fighter who is proven and tested.

Go Hillary!!!!!

March 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  6. mary

GOOD STUFF, OBAMA 08... YOUPPIIIIIIIIIII

March 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  7. Cosmic Comedy Queen - Hillary is the Change!

I wish show business folks would keep their mouth shut about politics. I love these two actors but I am not interested in their politics.

March 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  8. Joe

That's the problem with Hillary. She doesn't inspire anyone. She's just like every other old-school politician, with the same tactics and same speeches. She is calculating and not genuine in the eyes of the average voter. Think about it- people thought she got a boost in voting because of a Saturday Night Live skit! It makes her sound like a robot.

She talks about experience but the only Clinton who can speak about presidential experience is Bill. Being the First Lady does NOT prepare you for a presidency. Otherwise, every first lady should be on the ballot because they were in the White House before. And by the way, she didn't do that great of a job as a First Lady. Where is my universal healthcare that you promised me, Hillary? In the end, nothing will change with her or McCain (interesting how they both cheer for each other) because they are the status quo.

March 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. TJ

Why is CNN not reporting about Obama's "spiritual" mentor of 20 years and the hateful comments he made about Sen. Clinton? Check out FoxNews.com. They are at least biased against all Democrats, not some.
    At the beginning of this mess, I was leaning toward voting for Senator Obama. Now, I can't bring myself to do so. Even though he disagrees with what this man says, he still calls him his "spiritual leader." That to me, shows poor judgment. Something he claims that his opponent shows. If Obama thinks that Clinton is running a negative campaign towards him, he has seen nothing yet. Wait for Karl Rove and the Republican machine to get started. They will destroy him, which is actually sad (for him personally and for Democrats). This young, male, college-educated Pennsylvanian will vote for Hillary Clinton on April 22.

March 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  10. VM

"WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN SENATOR CLINTON WINS PENNSYLVANIA?"

She will wake up in the morning and still be significantly behind in delegates.

March 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  11. deidre

I can't believe this campaign is going to go on until Nov. 2009. I am already exhausted.
    I agree with Jayson, this is just another commerical to endorse a product.

PRODUCT OBAMA........BROUGHT TO YOU BY MATT DAMON AND BEN AFFLECK. FORMERLY ENDORSED BY MADISON AVE AND WALL STREET ELITE.

PUPPET OBAMA, MMMM MAKES YAH FEEL SO GOOD AMERICA!

March 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  12. Ron, TX

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck sure beat Jack Nicholson...

The old is great, tried and true, can't go wrong with the first Batman or A Few Good Men... but this is a new age. The elderly in this nation need to stop being selfish and think about their children's futures.

March 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  13. mauvaiseherbe

**********************Hillary Presidente***********************

GO!

CNN: ?

March 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  14. Jenny from IN

Why are people trying to say that somehow Obama is "copying" Clinton on this? He has nothing to do with it, its an independent project.

Obama is the only candidate who is trying to get rid of the "fear-mongering" that Washington has relied on to get us to fall in line. I, for one, am tired of politicians trying to play off of my fear to get through their ridiculous agendas.

Obama '08!

March 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  15. The end.....

Mona your funny. Actually Obama have had many more Videos made from Hollywood before Jack Nichoson. If anything Clinton is trying to copy Obama's lead. If you don't believe me go look at the "Yes we can" video and others made. I can always bring up Obama girl and then came Clinton girl.....

Anyways I rather see Clintons Earmarks that reach in the 300 thousands, and see how much more un trustworthy the clintons are.

March 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  16. independent for obama

I am so bored and tired of this whole presidential race. It's like watching a 100 round match with all of the candidates exhausted. I think everyone should just shut up until pennsylvania. I am just sick and tired of all of this. These primaries should be held all on the same day just like the regular elections. All I know is that if McCain wins i am leaving this country.

March 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  17. Darin MA

I used to be impressed by Affleck's grasp on politics. How he can possibly endorse Obama over Hillary is beyond me. It's like choosing to pour water over your cereal rather than cream. Weak! Weak! Weak!

March 13, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  18. VM

"Obama xeroxing again after Rob Reiner and Jack Nicholson video.
    Gosh, does the guy have an original though or what?"

Did you not read that this is the third time that MoveOn.Org (Not Obama) has done this? And before there was Jack Nicholson, there was the "Yes We Can" video, so it's your girl's supporters that are taking ideas.

March 13, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  19. No Shock Barack!!

He takes a licking and he keeps on Ticking! Hollywood support is not just your sterotypical "Hollywood Support" made up of Fictional Characters and Cartoons. but this support is coming from real Human beings Supporting someone they Believe in, wether you see them in the public eye more often than not, does'nt matter!!!!!... They still have a creative voice and it should be heard!!!!! Ben Affleck and Matt Damon Welcome Aboard!!!!!!!!!!!

GO OBAMA!
    Lets "BARACK DA' VOTE" 08

March 13, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  20. Derrick

This idea and this endorsement WILL NOT MAKE ONE BIT OF DIFFERENCE.... The union endorsements, celebrity endorsements, and songs have already failed! This idea IS NOT any different! It's just another commercial among many!

Hillary WILL WIN Pennsylavania and she will win the Presidency! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

If not Hillary, then McCain!

YES WE WILL!

YES WE WILL!

Hillary 08' 12'

March 13, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  21. Carlos

"Does CNN really think that the average American cares who the various celebrities in Holywood are supporting?"

Yes, they do.

March 13, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  22. JoJo

The Xerox line is so ba dump bump ding corny. Plus Will.I.Am's Yes We Can Video was done before Jack Nicholson decided to put his two cents in...and I actually find his add quite disturbing.

March 13, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  23. teachnator

I want all the Clintonites to answer one question: when will we see Hillary’s unedited schedule for her time as first lady, in order to make possible evaluation of her claim of relevant experience based on that period?

What experience???!!!

Go Obama!

March 13, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  24. Joan

Well, depends on what they come out with.
    But yea, I agree Hollywood for Obama is not his best bumper sticker.

March 13, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  25. TheIce

Great move by hollywood, but Obama already have this election locked up. Election are always run from the front which is the position of Obama. Remember in 2000 when ballots were counted several times in Florida, and Bush 300+ vote count did not change. I once had a lot of respect for Hillary, but after watching her performance in this election, I have lost all respect for her. If she should ever win the nomination, say hello to four more years of Bush. She is as low as one can get.

Peace