March 13th, 2008

Damon, Affleck team up for Obama

Damon and Affleck are part of a new MoveOn.org contest for Obama.
Damon and Affleck are part of a new MoveOn.org contest for Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are teaming up for a new project, but this one probably won't lead to an Oscar.

The two actors are part of a new effort from MoveOn.org to create a television ad in support of Barack Obama's bid for the White House. The liberal group, which endorsed the Illinois senator last month, is asking its 3.2 million members to create a 30 second campaign commercial that "shows what inspires them about the senator's candidacy."

Damon and Affleck, along with film director Oliver Stone and singer John Legend, are among the panel of judges.

"After eight years of President Bush campaigning on fear and war, people are feeling hopeful again. They're eager to talk about what inspires them about our country - and Senator Obama leading it,” Eli Pariser, Executive Director of MoveOn said. “Since creative and grassroots energy has helped power Barack Obama’s campaign from the start, this contest is a great way to deliver that message of hope to voters in Pennsylvania and across the nation.”

In a statement, Affleck said the competition is "a chance for everyone, from aspiring filmmakers to armchair pundits, to raise their voices to put Obama over the top."

MoveOn says it will announce the winner before the crucial Pennsylvania primary which takes place early in April. It says the winning ad will air on national television but has not yet decided when. The winner will also win a gift certificate for $20,000 in video equipment.

The group held a similar competition in 2004, asking members then to create a "Bush in 30 Seconds" campaign ad. The organization received 1,500 entries in that contest.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • moveon.org
  1. john

Funny thing is that many Americans do care about who celebrities
    endorse, like it or not. Thats our culture, good or bad. Democrats have Afflect, Damen, Reiner and Nickleson: Repubs have Chuck Norris.
    Dennis Miller and some lessor lights. And so it goes.

A great Democratic ticket for the fall will be Obama and Richardson.

March 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  2. Angelika

I think this is more about the video idea–showing that not everyone's just caught up in the hype, even the stars.

March 13, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  3. greg

Matt and Ben good luck I will never go to another of your movies.

March 13, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  4. Kate

mona -

Obama is not "xeroxing" anything! Celebrities starting making videos for him first! So get your facts right before making false statements!

Jack Nicholson made his little video like about two weeks ago, and it was only because Bill Clinton called him and asked him to do it...you can check out his interview at mtv.com.

March 13, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  5. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

I will never watch another Damon or Affleck movie.

I thought they had more sense than this.

I can't give up Oprah, couldn't stand her to begin with.

March 13, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  6. Pigs

Just imaginge how outraged Hillary would be if Barack Obama had virtually no chance to catch her in pledged delegates or the popular vote, but was claiming that if he could make it close, he could call that a victory. Just imagine the pressure CNN would be bringing down on Obama to drop out. But with Hillary, CNN and the rest of the press are breathlessly cheering her on each night as she falls further and further behind in the delegate count; buying her inane "Big State" strategy hook, line and sinker. Just look how she is LOSING all of the democratic strongholds in every state (except new york), even in the "big states" she is winning: Houston (60-40), Dallas (60-40), Austin (65-35), Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, San Francisco, D.C... it is a very impressive list and I have just named a few here in her most crucial "wins". She is not carrying the Democratic strongholds in the big states she is carrying, so her argumant that she is the only one who can carry these states is pure crap.
    The only thing more unbelievable than the whoppers Hillary and Bill spin is how the press falls for it every time and reprints it as if it has any merit. You don't do your homework or any analysis and just write down what each campaign spins as if it is true. Thanks to that position the media takes, it looks less like unbiased mediators and more like pigs happy to roll over in the mud.

March 13, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  7. Future POTUS Obama

Cheryl, to your question as to what will happen when Clinton wins Pennsylvania, I have your answer:

If she wins Pennsylvania (what will that make, 3 states she's won?), then she will pick up a few delegates. In Pennsylvania, she won't have the benefit of Republicans voting for her as she did in Texas (where she recorded an overall loss). So if she does win, she will pick up a few delegates, and yet another state will be ticked off.

She needs an OVERWHELMING majority of the rest of the votes in order to win the nomination, so what will happen is, Clinton will continue her Rovian campaign, but will still lose. The end.

March 13, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  8. beth

If someone votes for the President because Jason Bourne and Daredevil tells them too, then we are in worse trouble than I thought. The enthusiasm of people about this project is...whats the word...pathetic.

March 13, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  9. Democrats '08! YES WE CAN!

Clinton supporters didn't have a problem with old Jack Nicholson doing a commercial so why so heated over Matt & Ben? I'll tell you why. Because you're unhappy about being on the WRONG SIDE of the fight!

Sen. Obama has won more states, more delegates and more votes than Sen. Clinton. That's not spin or a lie. It's FACT. He is in NO way arrogant like Clinton supporters have said. He is not a racist, nor a liar, nor a cheat, nor any of the hateful names people have called him. If you ask ANY person in office today, they will each tell you that he is a highly respected Senator, across the aisles. He works with everyone, and gets along with everyone, not just Democrats. He is well liked, personally and professionally. The things said about him by people who have never met him or haven't bothered to research him, is astonishing. We all know Sen. Clinton and former President Bill Clinton, so we all know (or should know) the history of this couple. The things they were accused of (and I voted for Bill TWICE), it turns out, were all true. They just couldn't make the charges stick because of the thick layer of politics in Washington. The stuff was true, every story, every accusation, and every indictment or government investigation. True. All true. I didn't decide on Obama until I looked up his policies and accomplishments. HE HAS A LOT OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS; VERY, VERY IMPRESSIVE ACCOMPLISHMENTS. Please seek and you shall find.

Now I am not going to bash Clinton supporters because they are all fellow Democrats. I thought I was going to be a supporter until I learned of Obama. I loved what he had to say, then I researched him. I read the good, bad and ugly. I still liked what I saw. It's similar to when you first meet someone and you get this feeling deep down that the person has a good spirit; a good heart. Then to find out from people you respect that he actually does have a good spirit and a good hear. Equipped with what I heard, what I saw, and what I researched, I made my decision in favor of Sen. Obama. The Clintons past did come into my mind, and the hours and hours of drama on the evening news, and morning news, and noon news. It was just everywhere, permeating the airwaves, and it was filthy, and ugly, and vile. I decided against it, and I definitely didn't feel up to defending that mess. I've never been an "enabler" for anyone, and refuse to start now.

This race is so ugly and we should ALL try to keep it civil, and keep the ugliness down to a whisper. I mean, everything that we say will be used against either one of the Democratic candidates, and the media isn't on our side.

I am in support of Sen. Obama's policies, not just his speeches (which are moving, no doubt). But I see much more in his character and integrity, not to mention his obvious intelligence. Take the initiative and take a peek at his state legislature accomplishments. They tell a world of stories of good for people, all across the spectrum, covering all kinds of issues. His earmarks, released today on his website, are also telling. Please just take a moment and look (nobody has to know that you went over to his site to learn about the man) to see for yourself what he has done for his state, then go to the Library of Congress website and look up both senators and compare their work. Sen. Obama has over 870 some different bills and/or resolutions since becoming a Senator. That's how you can make an informed decision on who would work the hardest for us. Find out the truth, not the spin, and I'm talking about both candidates' websites. I'm not saying that either is lying or spinning on their site, but I am saying to check out a website that is not affiliated with them.

Please be open about these Democratic primaries, and please try to be kinder to your fellow Democrats. We will need each other to win back the White House. McCain has promised to keep things just as they are and that's not a good picture in my mind. We are currently in a serious recession (depression even), and the White House has yet to call it what it is. McCain is lockstep with the Bush Administration, and that's not where we want to be. We want to move this country to a better place – a place we can all be proud of. That goes for all supporters for both candidates. It doesn't help either candidate when their supporter is in public (online for the world to see) spewing ugliness and hate. Just keep this in mind the next time you post online, and stop falling for the spin from these news sites. They do not have our best interest in mind. Their interests lie in the almighty DOLLAR so please just know that when you read these political blogs, etc. Sift through the BS and find the truth of the matter because the media is not interested in giving you the truth. Some things I read make me happy and some make me mad, and I'm sure it's the same way on the Clinton side, but don't believe everything as it is written. CNN and their competition are NOT the gospel. They are people trying to earn a living, and some "spin it" to make things a big more interesting; to keep you coming back for more. Know their game and you'll find yourself better informed.

Democrat '08! YES WE CAN!

March 13, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  10. Heather

Jayson - I agree with what you say; however, the sad fact is that the average American DOES in fact care about what celebrities say and do. That's why all we see on the news is trashy young female celebrities. It's a sad time when CNN itself features their escapades as headline news on a day when 4 soldiers died in Iraq and CNN didn't seem to find the treagedy noteworthy enough to feature that story. America is in sad, sad, sad shape.

March 13, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  11. Grif

You'll get yours Obama before the year is through.. Then I'll Chuckle my so much.. I'l have a smile on my face for a month!!!

March 13, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  12. Stevie

I am truly terrified for our country if Obama is our next president. So inexperienced, so lacking in substance...it's really scary. Ronald Reagan was our punishment for Jimmy Carter. Who will be our punishment for Obama? Newt Gingrich?

To the Obama supporters, was it really that bad in our country when Bill Clinton was president? For some reason I remember it being pretty great.

March 13, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  13. Kathy, Andover

I normally don't care about celebrity endorsements. But Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are really bright guys.

March 13, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  14. kathleen

Hollywood support is great for an election. Especially
    when the Movie Stars are good people that everybody
    loves. That would be Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, some
    of the finest clean cut,mature young actors in Hollywood.

Now when a celebrity is not well thought-of. That is another
    story.

Great endorsers for Barack Obama!!!! Now, that is exciting.

March 13, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  15. Dylan

Cheryl, you left the caps lock on. Jayson, the "average American" is obsessed with celebrities. Don't believe me? Look at American Idol and TMZ. The only thing the "average American" likes more is a sex scandal.

Mona, the "Yes We Can" video is what led to Nicholson/Reiner's video. And this isn't Obama, this is MoveOn. And stop "xeroxing" Hillary's lame jokes.

March 13, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  16. alfred dimond

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are 2 of the most intelligent actors in Hollywood.
    They are not some typical rednecks who do not know what is right or wrong.
    Barack Obama really inspires people who truly wants the best for America.
    No matter what happens in the Democratic nomination, Barack Obama is truly an extraordinary human being who will be remembered and will go down in US history as one of the most influential and charismatic political figures.

March 13, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  17. Yosemite Bee

Obama is a natural born leader, no amount of time or experience can teach this skill. A person is either born a leader or a follower. Obama is a leader!! Hillary is a follower of her husband and his political career.
    Barack Obama for President

Brenda
    A white, 37 year old mother from California :-)

March 13, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  18. Di

Obama might win his very own Oscar, because he can certainly talk the hind legs off the (democrat) donkey! But Hillary will win PENNSYLVANIA , she's got the experience and the solutions!

March 13, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  19. bridgett, lansing

Why do we have to be so negative. Does it really matter if you like Obama or Hilary. You support who you support you don't have to be negative to either one of these candidates. Just show your support.

March 13, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  20. Johnny

This could hurt just as much as it could help. Hollywood lining up behind a candidate has tended to be more of a hindrance than a help in the past.

March 13, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  21. Patricia

This old lady loves me some Matt and Affleck... and of course... OBAMA!
    How bout a NEW video on the 'we are the world' concept, with every culture taking part... Get someone to write a new song called 'UNITY'.....

March 13, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  22. Flo

Hillary comes across as a Bully and she is a divider. The more she keeps saying that she has helped the Hispanic Community the more she turns me off. What has she done for the Black Community.?

Obama is a Uniter and he is showing the nation what a true politican should be. A man that can bring all people together. You don't need experience to bring people together you just have to have common sense and good judgement.

If I could say something to Hillary it would be

" HILLARY THE NATION DOES NOT NEED ANOTHER BULLY"

March 13, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  23. oh no not another video.....

So lets see the videos will be judged by those who have stellar records of good judgement? – Affleck who brought you " Gigli" , (never mind the out of control gambling habit) Mr. Stone who has consistently relegated women to secondary roles in his those paranoid, testosterone fueled films?
    btw I personally raised over $3k for Moveon.org in 2004 and then helplessly watched them piss it away and let John Kerry get swiftboated....dont think another Obama feel good video is going todo the trick

March 13, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  24. Funny

Ha, all these celebrities really worked for Kerry in '04. If Obama is about change, why is he playing the dorky awkward celebrity loving Democratic candidate like all the others? Wake up America, Obama is a phony.

March 13, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  25. CROW

WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN SENATOR CLINTON WINS PENNSYLVANIA???

Nothing!

OBAMA will still have more delegates NO MATTER WHAT!

CLINTON WILL NOT WIN!!!