March 13th, 2008

Florida's Dems reject mail-in primary plan

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (CNN) - Florida's Democrats in Congress rejected Thursday a plan for a combined mail-in and in-person primary election to let the state regain its 210 national convention delegates.

The plan, floated earlier by state party officials, would have set the combination vote for June 3 in an effort to replace delegates lost when Florida moved its primary ahead of the approved time frame.

"After reviewing the party's proposal and individually discussing this idea with state and local leaders and elections experts, we do not believe that this is a realistic option at this time and remain opposed to a mail-in ballot election or any new primary election in Florida of any kind," read a statement released Thursday afternoon by the states Democratic congressional delegation.

Under the state party's plan, fund-raising and public comment would begin immediately.

"The plan would be inclusive of all Democratic voters," according to a memo accompanying the draft plan that was sent Wednesday night to party leaders, including Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean and Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, the party's candidates for the presidential nomination.

Any plan would need the blessings of the DNC and the Clinton and Obama campaigns.

"We really believe that all Floridians deserve to be heard," said state party Chairwoman Karen Thurman, but "if this is not what the people of Florida and our presidential candidates want, then we're not going to do it."

Related: Florida Dems devise do-over plan for primary

Filed under: Florida
  1. Grif

Nothing new!!!! Go Mccain..... Go......

No Hill' on the Hill.... Your the man!!!!

March 13, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  2. Fred M

The people of Florida should be outraged by their politicians who decided to violate the rules of order established and agreed to by all 50 states...regarding the primaries.

Perhaps Floridians should recall these politicians as a consequence of their actions...especially now in refusing to take responsibility for the situation they created, instead of looking to the DNC or the Obama and Clinton campaigns. Stay the course...Howard Dean and DNC!

March 13, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  3. Joy

Here's an idea: Let Florida do the primary over, invite Clinton and Obama to participate, and if either one declines, say oh well. You had your chance. As long as they know there is a primary election that will be counted, its up to them to put their names on the ballot or not, just like Obama had the chance to put his name on the ballot in Michigan. If he chooses not to run in Florida or Michigan, that's his decision. But I bet he will – after all, he ran his campaign ads in Florida for 2 weeks against the DNC rules before.

March 13, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  4. Ardnuas

This is NOT fair to the States who played by the rules!!!!!!
    The votes should be split evenly ......that's it......no money needed, no redo..... next time obey the RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 13, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  5. norma schultz

First of all, Nancy Pelosi shouldn't throw stones at anything Clinton and Obama do or don't do. She got her seat by way of attrition – and she has done nothing but be the pretty lady Speaker since.

She has been riding the coattails of her position in a do nothing Congress since she took over as Speaker.

Until she does something substantial – there may be another Republican President who picks someone who might do something.

By the way – don't let anyone say anything nasty about Obama. He might get his feelings hurt, or his wife's. We must not sling mud only at Hillary – its been a free for all since day one on her. Thank you America for being so mean spirited.

March 13, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  6. VOTER FOR TRUTH AND DIGNITY IN AMERICA

No matter what happens, Hillary will lose. She and Bill have said too many things that are to hurtful to the voters to be able to forgive.
    Obama is great for America!!!!!!!!!!!!

Florida, voter for Obama
    Michigan, Vote for Obama

Whites for OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ALL THE WAY to PRESIDENT OF THE USA.

From Retired Professional w/woman of 63 for Obama
    All the way.

March 13, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  7. Franky

You know, I'm thinking they have maybe 2 weeks or maybe 1 week or less to try and get this done. I think there's no question that they need to get this done anytime soon. Hey, if I had millions and millions of dollars that I don't need, or let alone have a couple of thousand bucks, I'll try to help them out. But I'm not REAL wealthy, I'm just wealthy enough for myself personally.....but I do think they will try about a week or so or less.......

March 13, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  8. Vocie of Reason

I don't trust the mail-in votes...I think that the voters of Florida and Michigan should take this up with their elected officals, they got them into this mess!

March 13, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  9. PA

Had Florida state officals and the Florida democratic party truely wanted to make their voters heard, they would have made changes before when they were told their delegates would not be seated. They are now trying to save their own jobs by "fixing" the situation. Don't blame the candidates for Florida's mess up!

March 13, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  10. I LOVE AMERICA, FLORIDA

Why should we have a re-vote now where at the begining everyone agreed with the resolution?

I do not agree with senator Clinton, it seems to me she'll do anything to get the nomination. Please note this Mrs Clinton, I made a mistake by voting for you in January but time if it's to be a new primary my vote for you will be a minus not a plus.

Tired of all that nonsense.......................

March 13, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  11. Ric

Jeremiah Wright. You all need to look him up. WOW. Some of the stuff he is saying is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay crazy.

March 13, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  12. Paul from Kissimmee

This is such a mess. I live in Florida. I voted McCain, so my vote counted. Anybody that voted Democrat, I feel sorry for you because people did cast votes for nothing. It wasn't the voter's fault. Florida moved up their primaries, but look who's paying for it. What exactly would Florida have gained for moving the date up anyway? Imagine being the state that would play a big part in choosing the candidate if we held our primaries tomorrow. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.

March 13, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  13. Chuck in Oregon

My question to the Democratic leadership of Florida would be this.
    It is a given that the primary held was declared invalid, and in all reality it should be invalid. Take into consideration a simple fact that slightly over 1.4 million democratic voters in Florida cast a vote and over 2.6 million failed to vote because they were told their vote would not count. (state party officials state there are 4.1 million registerd democratic voters) There is no way it can be said that the existing vote accurately reflects the voters voice when that many did not vote.
    Thus considering their voice was already not accurately reflected in the existing primary, just how do you want show their voice? If not by a redo, a new primary, or a mail in vote or a caucus, then how?

March 13, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. Jazz

Florida had a fair and legal election in Jan '08. Both names were on the ballot. Both were well known. Hillary because she is married to a former president and Obama because he is a black senator AND friend of OPRAH who had endorsed him in SC. Moreover his national ads ran in FL. Over 2 million voted. If the less than 10,000 votes cast in the WY caucus can speak for the entire state, surely the more than 2 million votes cast in January can speak for FL. A redo is not necessary here.
    How did the DNC think they could get away with this rule anyway?
    Throw the boneheads out before the 2012 elections. Real Democrats Don't Quit !!!

March 13, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  15. wolf

Thanks God now we do not have to hear your stuipid demand for revote. Case Closed no more barking from the Wolf. You Break the rule you pay the price.

March 13, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  16. Chris in Va.

If it is so important to Karen Thurman that Floridians "be heard" then why the hell did they change the primary date knowing the consequences to begin with?!?!?!?!?

March 13, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  17. jmartin

Please find a plain that works. I guess for me ever since what happen in 2000 I am not happy the way in which your state does anything.

I will send 5 bucks to do revote and I am sure there are many people in the usa that would too. Set web site to collect money and see if you can raise the money.

March 13, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  18. Lois

I would really suggest you STOP haggling and use the fastest way to revote. Mail in, walk in whatever you can do. FL leaders made this mess and they should do whatever is necessary for your citizens to be able to vote. Who knew that the original voting date of FL WOULD have an impact on the results. Next time FOLLOW the rules with which YOU agreed.

March 13, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  19. Mike

As a fifty year old white male police officer who supports Obama. If the Florida vote counts I will have been disenfranchised and marginalized by the Democrat Party and the Clinton supporters who feel that they do not have to abide by the rules that I obeyed by not casting my Obama vote.

March 13, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  20. Jake, California

Ok, Now Hillary People please read this article and remember it.

There is nothing in here or in any previous article that says Obama doesn't want the voice of people from Florida and Michigan to be heard!

The very opening line reads:

Florida's Democrats in Congress rejected Thursday a plan for a combined mail-in and in-person primary election to let the state regain its 210 national convention delegates."

key phrase: "Florida Democrats in Congress'

March 13, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  21. HP Boston

Just the mail in plan has been rejected. If they have no re vote at all then All voters should revolt! I will not vote in the GE!!

March 13, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  22. Jay

If there is a revote, we'll have people in Florida and Michigan who get the opportunity to change their mind. Someone who voted for Obama in January could now vote for Clinton, or someone who voted for Clinton in January could now vote for Obama. The people in the other 48 get no such opportunity.

If there is a revote, I'll be forced to switch my support from Obama to McCain, whether I like it or not. He'll be the only candidate in the race whose nomination was achieved legitimately.

March 13, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  23. Jay

Great news at lease they will have a chance to vote in November. Let's hope those dummies who run the two disqualify primary states can count the votes correct.

March 13, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  24. josh

I dont care about Florida anymore. Their elections are always a fiasco. The fact that the republicans pushed up the primary date doesn’t matter because it shows a COMPLETE lack of negotiating skills on behalf of the democratic party in Florida. There are other states that have different primary dates for either party, so I don’t understand what’s wrong with Florida democrats negotiating the same thing.

Besides, the dems won’t win Florida anyway. The last time a democrat won was in 96 because Perot got 9% of the vote, Dole got 42% and Clinton only got 48%. Before that it was carter in 76.

March 13, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  25. Sarah E.

I heard somewhere that it would be illegal under FL law to do a mail in ballot. Does anyone have any info on that?

March 13, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |