March 13th, 2008

Obama releases earmarks, calls on Clinton to do so

(CNN) - Barack Obama released his entire earmark requests since becoming a U.S. senator Monday, after months of declining to do so.

The disclosure was made the same day all the presidential candidates returned to the Senate to vote on a bill calling for a one-year moratorium on all federal earmarks. (View his earmark requests)

The Obama campaign - which had previously released the senator's 2007 earmark requests but not those from 2005 and 2006 - also called on rival Hillary Clinton to do the same.

"Bringing real change requires changing the way we do business in Washington,” Obama Communications Director Robert Gibbs said. “If Senator Clinton will not agree to join Senator Obama in releasing her earmark requests, voters should ask why she doesn’t believe they have the right to know she wants to spend their tax dollars.”

The Clinton campaign was asked about earmarks on a press call Thursday afternoon before Obama released his requests. The campaign deferred questioning to Clinton's Senate office. CNN is awaiting a response.

Clinton and Obama announced this week they favor the one year moratorium, despite their own use of earmarks. The bill is not expected to pass.

Related: White House hopefuls scrap over earmarks

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. VOTER FOR TRUTH AND DIGNITY IN AMERICA

Hillary won't. She behind on the American's calling for her
    Tax Records. Now, let's not vote for her. She is wasting our time.

Obama 2008

March 13, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  2. billie

How about Obama, release the truth about your gay self. Get out of the closet

March 13, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  3. Christi

I think you can see where his heart is. His earmarks are all for good causes. Women's shelters, A Child is Missing, Research into new technologies. The more you find out about this guy the more you see how much of a genuine and good person he really is.

March 13, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  4. Julia

Transparency in action. Change we can see and believe.

March 13, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  5. Bill

This is an impressively quick response. I bet John McCain did not expect that type of transparency. Score one for the Democratic Party. Clinton should follow suit for the double knockout punch. Awaiting McCain's response about Bush tax breaks flip-flop.

March 13, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  6. ObamaCannotWIN

I HATE OBAMA..

He only has 2 years of earmarks..2 years of experience..

Clinton has pages and pages of this stuff...You are so foolish my friends for voting for Obama..He cannot carry Red states..

Clinton 08 or McCain 08!1

March 13, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. Alexandria, VA

Earmarks are rather insignificant, but blown up for political gains. For that reason, they matter.

McCain called on the dems to release their list, and Obama released his list.

+1 for McCain
    +2 for Obama
    +1 for Clinton if she releases
    -1 for Clinton if she does not

March 13, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  8. SLO Bear

Seems like he's been working hard as a Senator; in fact, it looks like a whole lot of worthwhile "solutions" for someone who alledgedly just gives speeches.

March 13, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  9. sky

The man really impresses me. I just read through them all....good man

March 13, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  10. hillary08

CNN,,, We want to know the relationship between Obama and his Pastor! Obama and Rezko!

Could you please report them? Why do you always report this kind of trash news?

Shame on you---CNN

Hillary 2008 for sure!

WE BELIEVE SHE WILL

March 13, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  11. Joe Martin

I am sure she will get right on that they are next to her tax returns.

March 13, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  12. SAM - CommonSense

The we go America... transparency is key in selecting a new Commander-In-Chief to help undo the disastrous 8yrs under Bush. What did these senators do with our tax monies...? Obama's look really impressive to me, now i'm still waiting on senator Clinton.

March 13, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  13. MP Pennsylvania

I bet Hillary will not release all of her info.

March 13, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  14. Reese

I think everyone should released earmarks.I want to know where my tax dollars are going.

March 13, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  15. rastarr

She's always hiding something........ little or big i bet that theirs all kinds of things she has spent money on that's bad .. she has way too many secrets >...

March 13, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  16. seektruth

also tax return and Clinton files please !

March 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. Albo

A clever move, as I suppose he knows tha Hillary has many more !!

ALBO

March 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. Art from NC

This is a disturbing pattern that shows how Hillary and Bill Clinton are the most secretive politicians today and how they are running a very secretive and negative campaign.

They don't want to release their tax returns, they don't want to release who the donors of the Clinton library are, and they don't want to release Hillary's earmarks.

What are they hiding? Why isn't this front page news, and why isn't this the #1 story on TV??? This is VERY IMPORTANT to the American people, because people are tired of the Bush-Clinton tactics and how the two families HIDE everything from the American people.

March 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. Yolanda Rollins

This is definitely Change We Can Believe In. Obama is the truth.

Yolanda Rollins
    Canton, OH

March 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. Larry from LA

YES HILLARY RELEASE YOUR EARMARKS WITH YOUR TAX RETURNS AND YOUR WHITE HOUSE PAPERS. IN FACT PLEASE RELEASE YOUR SELF FROM THE NOMINATION.

March 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. Fatima

This is good. And equally good if Senator Clinton does the same.

March 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. Klondike

Funny I think the earmarks might come back to hurt John McCain believe it or not. My first thought when I saw this list, and looked at what it went to...was ...wow, Obama did a lot for his constituency (sincerely) ...I wonder what McCain did for Arizona?

I mean I am sure he did a lot and I am sure I just don't understand how this extra spending hurts us...but again my first thought was ...wow Obama did a lot for those who elected him.

March 13, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. king from toronto

you cant tell me this obama is not about change.he is truly one of a kind.and will be one of the greatest president, the world has seen in decades.

March 13, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. Frank in Missouri

This guy is straight forward and clean ! I trust this person !

March 13, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  25. Denis, NYC

Is anyone suprised by this? I think not.

March 13, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |