March 13th, 2008

Pelosi again rules out joint ticket

Pelosi again said a joint ticket with Obama and Clinton won't happen.
Pelosi again said a joint ticket with Obama and Clinton won't happen.

(CNN) – The Democratic presidential ticket will be a "Dream Team," Nancy Pelosi said Thursday, it just won’t have both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama's name on it.

Speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill, the House Speaker reiterated comments she made earlier in the week that the two presidential candidates will not end up sharing a ticket.

"I do think we will have a dream team, it just won't be those two names," She said. "Whoever our nominee is and whoever he or she is and whoever he or she chooses, will be a dream team as the Democrats go forward.”

When pressed further about the possibility of a joint ticket, Pelosi stated flatly, "Take it from me, that won't be the ticket."

The comments echoed remarks the Speaker made Tuesday, when she emphatically told a Boston television station that a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama is "impossible."

"I think that ticket either way is impossible," she said. "I think that the Clinton administration has fairly ruled that out by proclaiming that Senator McCain would be a better commander-in-Chief than Obama."

Pelosi’s remarks came a day after Obama mocked Clinton and her campaign surrogates for raising the implication he would make a good vice president.

"With all due respect, I won twice as many states as Sen. Clinton. I've won more of the popular vote than Sen. Clinton. I have more delegates than Sen. Clinton. So, I don't know how somebody who's in second place is offering vice presidency to the person who's in first place," he said at a campaign event in Mississippi.

Related: Does Clinton benefit from so-called 'dream ticket' talk?

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Bridget

CNN!!!

Where is the story about Obama's mentor???

Shame on you CNN!!!

March 13, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  2. Michelle from Canada

I've been watching this election process closely and all I can say at this point is. .."I see your true colours." The GREAT United States of America, leader of the "free world", in 2008 hacking their Presidential Candidates to death based, such important distinctions as, age, gender, race and economic status.

March 13, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  3. eddie, New York City.

Obama/Bloomberg '08. Believe it or not, This will be a dream ticket.

March 13, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  4. Paul

Did Govenor Rendell of Pennsylvania say that noone would elect a BLACK President? I heard that he made this comment on one of the other major news stations. He was the head of DNC prior to being govenor so I hope this was an error by the media. To say something like that is worse than Ferraro's comments. I will have to do some research.

March 13, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  5. AJ, IL

Pelosi is correct, the "dream ticket is just a dream". Hillary-supporters and the american public overall, either forget or just don't know that Hillary was a REPUBLICAN in her early years. There is a reason why Hillary says she has 35 years of experience and the fighting mantra at age 61. If you further back beyond 35 years, say another 5 to 10 years, you will discover Hillary was a Young Republican in high school, college and early law school years until she met Bill Clinton.

Hillary supported Barry Goldwater (Republican) for President back 1964. Yes the same, Barry Goldwater who was against the Voting Rights act of 1965! Even McCain speaks fondly of Goldwater, so can see the amirable relationship Hillary and McCain enjoy.

March 13, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |