March 13th, 2008

Pelosi again rules out joint ticket

Pelosi again said a joint ticket with Obama and Clinton won't happen.
Pelosi again said a joint ticket with Obama and Clinton won't happen.

(CNN) – The Democratic presidential ticket will be a "Dream Team," Nancy Pelosi said Thursday, it just won’t have both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama's name on it.

Speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill, the House Speaker reiterated comments she made earlier in the week that the two presidential candidates will not end up sharing a ticket.

"I do think we will have a dream team, it just won't be those two names," She said. "Whoever our nominee is and whoever he or she is and whoever he or she chooses, will be a dream team as the Democrats go forward.”

When pressed further about the possibility of a joint ticket, Pelosi stated flatly, "Take it from me, that won't be the ticket."

The comments echoed remarks the Speaker made Tuesday, when she emphatically told a Boston television station that a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama is "impossible."

"I think that ticket either way is impossible," she said. "I think that the Clinton administration has fairly ruled that out by proclaiming that Senator McCain would be a better commander-in-Chief than Obama."

Pelosi’s remarks came a day after Obama mocked Clinton and her campaign surrogates for raising the implication he would make a good vice president.

"With all due respect, I won twice as many states as Sen. Clinton. I've won more of the popular vote than Sen. Clinton. I have more delegates than Sen. Clinton. So, I don't know how somebody who's in second place is offering vice presidency to the person who's in first place," he said at a campaign event in Mississippi.

Related: Does Clinton benefit from so-called 'dream ticket' talk?

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Amy in Iowa

There are so many dinosaurs on here that simply hate Obama just because of who he is and that is sad. Obama is offering the best judgement to lead this nation in a generation. Only a hater who refuses to look at Obama's Blueprint for Change refuses to see this. I am voting and praying for Change for this nation. Obama '08.

March 13, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  2. Floridian

Agreed. Not sure when Nancy Pelosi became the arbiter of all things Clinton and Obama, but I'm pretty sure she is really irritated to see the dem running second (Hillary) saying that the probable nominee (Barack) isn't qualified to be Commander in Chief, but saying that McCain is. I think she's trying to send a message to the Clinton campaign that the DNC/party bigwigs aren't going to stand for much more of the Clinton "kitchen sink" strategy.

March 13, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. jrzsjor

Clinton-McCain?

March 13, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. david

Hillary's strategy is if she can not win, she will help Mccain. She looks like a republican now. she is plying dirty politics.

March 13, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  5. Insane in the Mccain

SCBROWN.....

Jesse Jaskson JR is not an advisor is not a advisor, is not a paid staff member or leader of his Finance Committe...

Jesse Jackson Jr is a Supporter who says the same thing that all other supporters say on this blog..Get your facts right!

March 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. Geo from Toronto

Pelosi should not be making comments like this when both campaigns are struggling to find out who they really are.

I also find it very interesting that nowhere on this website is there mention of Obama's pastor's videos and sermons where racism clearly shows. Geraldine is a saint compared to the comments made by him.

Whose the racist now Obama??

Vote Hillary

March 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  7. Nick

Does she get a say?

March 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  8. Catherine

Sounds like Pelosi knows more than she's letting on. Maybe she's going to be on one of the tickets. Most likely Obama. A Clinton/Pelosi ticket would tank for sure.

March 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  9. interesting

CNN I am so sick and tired of you excluding my comments.

Obama and Clinton need to be a ticket to quelch this divide.

Pelosi is as clueless as Bush is in running the Democrats. Like Dean, she is trying to be important.

March 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  10. George, Dallas, Texas

Hilary Clinton’s apologies would have been enough, but many people see them as insincere considering that race-card was thought out as part of Hilary Clinton’s “kitchen sink strategy”. It was their game-plan to do and say anything to win the election first and apologize later. Many Americans see through their strategy and that is why she will not win the presidency if she wins the Democratic nomination.
    George

March 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  11. rj

i would grudgingly vote for an Obama-Clinton ticket; i would never vote for a Clinton-Obama ticket. just one educated white male veteran's opinion!! Hillary needs to step aside instead of further damaging the party. No more dirty tactics from her big bag o'tricks. I think she's used enough.

March 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  12. God save the Democrats

At this point it looks like the only ticket that will matter will be McCain and whomever he picks as VP. With statements like this our party will never unite. Stop the madness.

March 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  13. Ca Native

Since Democrats are self-destructing... I guess Nancy Pelosi wants in on the action?

March 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  14. JK

Who made Ms. Speaker the authority on this? Why are we even talking about it. All of us can speculate on our own, but what makes her think that she can go around talking to the press like she KNOWS something the rest of us don't. I also don't believe that there is going to the an Obama/Clinton or Clinton/Obama ticket, but who am I to say anything when I don't know for sure how these candidates feel about being VP or having each other as VP.

March 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  15. pmet

I agree that a joint ticket with Obama and Clinton is not in the offering. Thank goodness. After all of the divisive and "kitchen sink" strategies of the Clinton campaign, it would hurt Obama's credibility to share a ticket with her. In addition, if she succeeds in stealing this nomination, he would be wiser to sit this one out and run again in four years. What I fail to understand, however, is why the superdelegates are remaining silent at the request of Hillary Clinton. They need to start stating who they are for so that this does not wind up being a brokered convention with the democratic party left in shambles.

March 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  16. Charlotte

I was shocked Hillary would even suggest such a thing. He is not qualified to be a hairs breath away from the Presidency. I can only surmise it was an attempt to unify the party. Obama has made that an impossible dream with his constant race card mentality. Everyone who opposes him is a racist. He plays the card when it benefits him. The condesending way he talks to a mostly black audience is transparent to me. They can't see it, they are blinded by the color of his skin. I can't blame them for wanting one of their own. He is not what he appears to be. He is a politician like all the rest. Jessie Jackson did not do as well because he did not have Oprah to help his campaign. Think about it?

March 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  17. Julie

She is the House Speaker, but her role in the party ends outside the House of Representatives door. Seriously, her role has really gone to her head.

March 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. Hopemonger in NYC

I believe the Democrats will have a Dream Ticket in November. I am sure that Senator Obama will find a running mate that likewise is committed to bringing change to Washington, decreasing Lobbyist influence, uniting Americans (irrespective of party) and getting out of Iraq. I think he will find someone that has Senator Clinton's obvious strengths (e.g., intelligence and legislative acumen), but who does not cary the same type of political baggage and who is not beholden to lobbyists. Obama/ ____ '08

March 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  19. Jay MN

These people that "pressed her on the matter further" don't deserve to vote. They clearly live in some other uiniverse and therefore aren't US residents.

March 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  20. Samme

Pelosi has no right making this comment. Who asked her opinion, anyway? I agree with Sylvia, if OBAMA wins, I am voting Republican. No one could be worse than Obama, he doesn't even know what color he is, much less how to run the country.

March 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  21. Gini

I would absolutely LOVE an Obama/Pelosi ticket!!

March 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  22. Paul

Pelosi is devious. She is taking things out of context and dividing the party. Shame on you, Pelosi.

March 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  23. ariel

Obama/ Strickland 08. Read today's shrewd column by George Will in the Washington Post to learn why.

March 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  24. Jack

There is no way that Hillary Clinton would really want Obama on her ticket
    Obama doesn't have the experience to be the President in the event something would happen to Clinton.

March 13, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. Cate

To all of the "HIllary/Edwards" nuts out there.....Have you gone mad? Do you not remember how Edwards hammered Clinton over being "status quo"? Sadly, I think Clinton is desperate enough to offer it to Edwards and I think Edwards is slimy enough to go against everything he said and accept. And then McCain's prayers will have been answered.

March 13, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |