March 13th, 2008

Pelosi again rules out joint ticket

Pelosi again said a joint ticket with Obama and Clinton won't happen.
Pelosi again said a joint ticket with Obama and Clinton won't happen.

(CNN) – The Democratic presidential ticket will be a "Dream Team," Nancy Pelosi said Thursday, it just won’t have both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama's name on it.

Speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill, the House Speaker reiterated comments she made earlier in the week that the two presidential candidates will not end up sharing a ticket.

"I do think we will have a dream team, it just won't be those two names," She said. "Whoever our nominee is and whoever he or she is and whoever he or she chooses, will be a dream team as the Democrats go forward.”

When pressed further about the possibility of a joint ticket, Pelosi stated flatly, "Take it from me, that won't be the ticket."

The comments echoed remarks the Speaker made Tuesday, when she emphatically told a Boston television station that a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama is "impossible."

"I think that ticket either way is impossible," she said. "I think that the Clinton administration has fairly ruled that out by proclaiming that Senator McCain would be a better commander-in-Chief than Obama."

Pelosi’s remarks came a day after Obama mocked Clinton and her campaign surrogates for raising the implication he would make a good vice president.

"With all due respect, I won twice as many states as Sen. Clinton. I've won more of the popular vote than Sen. Clinton. I have more delegates than Sen. Clinton. So, I don't know how somebody who's in second place is offering vice presidency to the person who's in first place," he said at a campaign event in Mississippi.

Related: Does Clinton benefit from so-called 'dream ticket' talk?

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Thomas

"Only a hater who refuses to look at Obama's Blueprint for Change refuses to see this."

Problem is his "Blueprint" is flawed he has no foundation but the building is 300 stories high!

CAN SOMEONE please tell me why Obama now has a Icon / logo / symbol for his name??? Talk about ego and brings up images of Hitler...

March 13, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  2. Greta

To contrast the confident, rational comments from Obama supporters in this column against the shrill sour grapes from the Clinton backers tells me a lot about where the hope for the future of America is coming from. I live in NC and I just made up my mind to vote for Obama.

I loved what Bill Clinton did for our nation in the 90s. But Hillary is running her campaign like Karl Rove is in charge of it, and that is unacceptible to me.

March 13, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  3. Charlotte

Pelosi would better serve this country if she and the members of congress would start the impeachment process against Bush and his whole crew. This process must start in the congress not the Senate. I found that out when I called my Senators to do just that. My congressman is a republician but I called him anyway. We need some kind of sex scandal, everything else is A-OKAY.

March 13, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. Stooping Pretty Low

"So, I don't know how somebody who's in second place is offering vice presidency to the person who's in first place," he said at a campaign event in Mississippi."

Because Hillary thinks she is smarter than everyone else, which is why she will never be president.

March 13, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  5. Paul

Nancy Pelosi is a perfect example of why the US can not afford to have a woman in a leadership position in government!

March 13, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  6. Scott

RJ – shut up already.

March 13, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. Debby

Oh Pelosi like Dean you should shut up. Let these 2 candidates work it out themselves whomever gets the nom. They both have a huge following and the Dems. need this if they are going to win in Nov.

March 13, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  8. Ann

Maybe what we need is a more liberal republican. Obama is a scary man to think about having as President. of the United States.

March 13, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. Primus

Silvia, I don't get your comments about how Obama is treating Hillary. Look at NW Indepent' s comments and that will let you know how Hillary is treating Obama. Hillary is using the same "whisper" tactics that Rove is famous for. I am starting to lose a lot of respect for her. Jesse Jackson's comments aside, Obama has run a much cleaner race than HRC.

March 13, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. La Petite Sorciere

I am so proud of her. !!!

what about Obama/Pelosi

Go Obama................

March 13, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  11. Haley Rodman Clemson

An Obama-Pelosi ticket could happen. I would laugh really hard if it did happen but it's possible. Could we really have the newest and most absent Senator paired up with the leader of what will likely go down as the least productive House in history on the same ticket? I think so.

I could see it all now: "Obama/Pelosi: Change that won't likely happen." That really would be a Dream Team for McCain to run against. He could run with a feral dog as his VP and still win the election against those two clowns. Democrats already have two lousy choices this year, if either one pairs up with Pelosi, their choices will only get worse.

March 13, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  12. im4hillary, GA

The best way to get Dems out of this trouble is, first of all, get rid of Pelosi and Howard Dean. They are terrible for the party. CNN, please don't bring up this lady's name AGAIN. She always looks like drunk. Have you noticed that?

March 13, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  13. Arya

Obama/Pelosi would be good Sanfranciso Mayor/Deputy Mayor
    not more than that.

March 13, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  14. Jim

I heard Senator Clinton say on NPR this morning that she believed that the delegate counts in Florida and Michigan should remain as they are. Her complete lack of integrity, along with her increasing transparency is going to secure the nomination for Senator Obama. Especially if we continue to see reruns of her husband hugging on Monica Lewinski, in relation to the Spitzer scandal. Oh yeah, Spitzer was was one of her Super Delegates. Oh, the ironies of life!

March 13, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. Paul

Obama and Clinton are polar opposites when it comes to character. They may have similiar voting records, but one is an inspirer and the other is a divider. One is a uniter while the other is a bully. One has integrity while the other has found ways to escape direct scandals. One had a dificult to find negative record and the other has an easy to find negative record. One is honest and one is a liar. They are not the same at all and a joint ticket would be hypocritical of character.

Bill Richardson would be an excellent VP. Great foreign policy experience, experience as a govenor running a state government, and of Latino heritage. What more could you ask for.

March 13, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. Vig

Pelosi has turned out to be one big let down. She's more of a politico then most of them. This is the problem when these people stay in the senate or congress year after year after year. They can't see the forest through the trees and they are no longer rebels – they are part of the political machine.

March 13, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  17. CaliMale4Hill

Take it from someone from California, Pelosi doesn't know what she's talking about. They need to be on the same ticket regardless or either one alone will not win, Hillarys supporters such as myself will not vote for Obama alone, and Obamas supporters will not overwhelmingly switch to Hillary.

We have to keep the hope that the 2 can move bast their differences and eventually unite. If not, McCain is the winner

March 13, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. Grif

Yes I wan't Hillary to choose, the way she wants to go.

Not the way the Dems are using her. She is not a Guaranteed second p[lace loser just to please the Blacks, and pull in the extra votes for an Obama Presidency.

She should go over to Mccain and make a direct deal for some joint Agreement.
    Then Dump Obam on his rear..............

March 13, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  19. Adam

I guess Obama has to wait 8 years to run again. He should jump on board as Hillary's VP.

March 13, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  20. Tom Swift in NH

Catfight !

March 13, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  21. CB, TX

Repubs have been voting in Demo primaries for Obama because he would lose to McCain when the REAL election takes place when those same Repubs vote for McCain. Sneaky Repubs!

March 13, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  22. Gene

Thank you Pelosi for pointing that out. Hillary has jeopardizes her own party and has giving McCain more clue to use against the democrat during the general election. Americans and the rest of the world 're watching you and Bill, doubled faces, hypocrisys and liars.

March 13, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  23. Nina

I am glad she said no because I will not vote for anyone with Obama on the ticket.

March 13, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  24. Ted, WA

Hillary Clinton: Scorced Earth.

March 13, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  25. Sam- Chicago

Nancy should step aside, and let the voters decide. The whole idea is to beat the republicans. These remarks only divide us, it does not unite democrats. (I call both candidates as democrats)

If we can not unite all democrats, McCain will win.Another 4 years of the Bush politics. Lets unite, somehow, and regain the white house.

March 13, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |