March 14th, 2008

Bush: Economy facing 'tough times'

ALT TEXT

Bush addressed the Economic club of New York Friday (Getty Images)

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – President Bush acknowledged Friday the country was facing challenges both in the housing and financial markets, but said that the strength of the underlying economy would help it maneuver through this difficult period.

Speaking before The Economic Club of New York, Bush said he was confident that the government action take so far would help get the economy back on track.

"Theses are tough times," he said.

He also called on Congress to take additional steps to help alleviate the woes resulting from the housing crisis, including reforming government-sponsored enterprises Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. He also pushed lawmakers to modernize the Federal Housing Administration and to extend tax cuts on capital gains and set to expire in the coming years.

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Gary, Detroit, Mich.

How about all the jobs outsourced to India and China? Think maybe that has anything to do with it?

March 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  2. Billy J Austin,TX

Bushlover, I don't believe you are serious for a moment. You might as well admit it. This has been the worst, most damaging President in recent history. At LEAST since Hoover.

How can you say that stuff with a straight face? Clinton's recession, and Osama Bin Laden not captured. PUH LEEZ...

I just wish this village idiot wasn't coming back to my homestate when he is thru in Washington.

March 14, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  3. Voter, Omaha NE

Bush hasn't done this country any good, but he sure helped his cronies get richer. So what can we expect from the three candidates vying fo rthe President position....NADA! None of them know how to clean up the mess created by an unwarranted war–although I can't blame Bush for the economy, I can blame him and the Republicans for their fiscally irresponsible enactments that brought on this economy–McCain wants to spend more money for more war–good heavens–send him to go fight the war. Obama wants peace and he knows NOTHING of what he speaks–it is ALL rhetoric– and Clinton is no better–campaign hyperbole and promises that won't mean squat when any of them are elected–some say the world will end in 2012–with what we have for leaders in this country, I'm beginning to think the doomsayers are RIGHT–God help us all

March 14, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Maryland voter

Is anything in that empty head? More of the same with McCain.

Obama is the best.

March 14, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  5. independent for Obama

This is like Dahmer telling the families of his victims: I know life is going to be tough, I know there will be a lot of pain with your loss. I bet the economic times aren't that tough for him and Cheney.

March 14, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. Patrick

It's sad we have a President that has fallen so far that nothing he says is taken seriously anymore. He has only himself to blame for this.

March 14, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. Maryland voter

I did not vote that bozo into the White House. Who did? The Republicans. I think that is enough said. Idiots.

March 14, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  8. S, Miami, FL

Don't blame me, I voted Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004. Of course none of that counted since in 2000 eight Supreme Court Justices handed this buffoon the Presidency and in 2004 his buddies with the Diebold Corporation arranged his Presidential win. So sad.

March 14, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  9. dave in calgary

Wow, what leadership, what a helpful pile of solutions... he is "calling" on all these other entities to do stuff to fix it – we're all so fortunate he... aah, forget it, I've gotta go sit on the couch and scratch myself with my keys.

March 14, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  10. Go back to Texas

Go back to Texas. The Dixie Chicks were right.

March 14, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  11. Dave

Did HRC admit that Bush outsmart her as well...? WOW!

March 14, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. Darryl,

Bush don't give a Da_n about the American people he just thank it's a joke his paid day comes when him and Chaney leaves Office Saudi has a paycheck waiting for Bush when he get out of Office...

Remember Oil prices was $1.65 when they took Office it will be $5.00 when they leave.

Don't be fooled.