March 14th, 2008

Bush: Economy facing 'tough times'

ALT TEXT

Bush addressed the Economic club of New York Friday (Getty Images)

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – President Bush acknowledged Friday the country was facing challenges both in the housing and financial markets, but said that the strength of the underlying economy would help it maneuver through this difficult period.

Speaking before The Economic Club of New York, Bush said he was confident that the government action take so far would help get the economy back on track.

"Theses are tough times," he said.

He also called on Congress to take additional steps to help alleviate the woes resulting from the housing crisis, including reforming government-sponsored enterprises Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. He also pushed lawmakers to modernize the Federal Housing Administration and to extend tax cuts on capital gains and set to expire in the coming years.

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. doug

Bush, you looked drunk yesterday when you were speaking, do your words of today mean we're still not in a recession? When the clock resets to 1929 will we then be in a recession.

March 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. Jeff, Nevada

Bushlover...Maybe if the Republican authors of the "Contract for America" weren't too busy cheating on their own wives while while charging "high crimes and misdemeanors" and "wagging the dog" against a president when he was firing missiles into Al-Queda camps, this would indeed, be a different country.

Remember? Bob Livingston? Newt Gingrich? Henry Hyde?

Sick sick sick.

Instead, people like YOU stuck us with the most corrupt administration in our history. An administration who has drained the economy so badly that they have to GIVE money away. Your administration has made chumps of every hard-working American who only wants a honest day's pay for an honest day's work and to have the health insurance they've been paying into THERE when they need it.

The very fact that the government has to give away money, because no one has any, is living proof that the Republican version of capitalism has failed -and failed miserably.

March 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  3. seyi

Oh shut up George.... For real Shut up. You didnt even know gas was heading to $4. Seriously shut up!

March 14, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  4. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

what a moron.... I still find it hard to believe that Eliot Spitzer (I think he was set up) will have his career ruined for his private sexual misdeeds, but this raving and evil lunatic Bush goes scott free even with his barrel full of purposeful lies that led us to war in Iraq? How many dead and maimed? How many lives ruined?

Bush has bankrupted every company he ever touched... and now our country.

March 14, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. Bob

Here this idiot stands before a gaggle of his wealthy pals and declares these are tough times! Times are a whole lot tougher for working men and women! One solace,,we overworked, under compensated miscreants at the low rung of the ladder know how to live on very little! Can these fat cats get by on less than 20k per year? When this whole mess collapses, we'll find out who the great Americans are!

March 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  6. Kenneth

I thought I would never see the day that half of my country would actually be stupid enough to elect a person like this, twice! It goes to show you who we have living in this country. Unbelievable!!

March 14, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. Eric

Bush is a clueless idiot. There, I've overstated the obvious. Now can I have a job with CNN?

March 14, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. JH

GLOBAL ECONOMY UNFAIR TRADE STARTED BY CLINTONS thats make china in power

March 14, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  9. Reality check #1

No crap? It took a genius to figure that out!

March 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  10. Bob

He says "tough times" like he actually knows what it's like to earn an HONEST living and pay bills. I'm sure gas prices are making it tough to fuel up Air Force 1. Oh that's right, he's in bed with the Saudis, the people that are pulling all the strings right now. Come on folks, it's not to late to impeach him!

March 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  11. Deanna

Yeah, like he gives a crap

March 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. Sarah

Ya think?

March 14, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  13. Todd

This feels good. I love when we Democrats can agree on something!
    BUSH IS OUT TO LUNCH!!!!

March 14, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. Confused

This is the worst president in American history and he was elected for two terms. No matter who becomes the next president they can't undo the mess that his adminstration has made. In fact it may take a decade or two to fix it no matter who wins.

The thing I can't stand about this president is that he arrogant and he believes that he can tell the public anything he wants. Also when he makes his statements he can care less if the public is offended by his statement because he will simply spin it later in the day.

For my children sake I hope that we never elect another president with the same ideals as George Bush. If we do your kids and their kids will be fighting an unjustified war somewhere in the world.

March 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  15. JarryHames

How did we survive almost 8 years with this Loser in Washington? Whatever you idiot! Please tell us something that we do not know.

March 14, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  16. HAWK,TEXAS

BUSH IS REALLY PROUD OF HIMSELF. DID YOU HEAR THAT HE PUT A CROSSWORD PUZZLE TOGETHER IN TWO WEEKS, THE REASON HE WAS PROUD IT SAID 7 TO 9 YEARS ON THE BOX.

March 14, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  17. Cathy, Texas

I see that GW pulled his head outta his arse just long enough to stick his foot in his mouth....

What an idiot!

March 14, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  18. Norom

Is our president learning?

March 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  19. Dave

It's amazing how many people post that Bush is dumb, but he is taking your money and making him, his family and friends rich off of your money. Can I say that again, "your money:, so who is the dummy?

March 14, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  20. Stacy Clarks, Texas

Don't blame me, i voted for Kerry!!!!!!!!!!

how out of touch is this guy?!??!?!?

stop the hate, vote Obama08!!!!!

March 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  21. Damond

Just two weeks ago "Clueless" George wasn't aware of possible $4 gas at the pump coming this summer and he clearly stated the economy wasn't headed towards a recession "We're in a slowdown" Now he's to switches to "We're head towards tough times." Well "Clueless" George, look at what you and your moronic administration along with your fuzzy budgets, tax breaks & policies have gotten our country into. Job (long pause) Done! What a great way to leave office! I happen to believe you are seriously clueless and you just don't care about us American people and doofiness has proved that. Congress, either impeach or we have a special April 08 election instead of waiting until November.

March 14, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  22. kathleen

Well, what a great Photograph. Is he beginning to get it.
    Can he loan me some money for gas. $50.00 to fill up
    my tank. Well, let's ask the Cheney's. Oh, Hillary will. She
    will have lots of campaign money left over, or do you have to
    return it?????

Obama for Pres 2008 or NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO MORE LIARS.

March 14, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. Pat M

SUPREME MORON
    Crash Course Economics 101 George
    DUH

March 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  24. Xeno77777

George W. Bush I.Q. can be inferred from his SAT Score of 1100. Move the Decimal Place one place to the left, which gives Bush an overall I.Q. of 110. Out in California, where Oriental Parents really push their Children, Oriental Average I.Q.s are 110. Bush and Gore were really pushed, yet their SAT Scores work out to I.Q.s of only 110, only average if the child has been pushed. Bush and Gore were pushed, so their SAT derived I.Q.s 0f 110, really represent I.Q,s of 100, or perfectly average. But George W. Bush's mathematical componant is higher than his Verbal componant, which gives Bush a Verbal I.Q. of only 95. A 95 Verbal I.Q. is only 20 Points higher that chilld killer John Couey's Verbal I.Q. of 75. Those who worked to seat a Verbal I.Q. of 95 in the White House have committed an act bordering on High Treason, if they have not already crossed the line. A President should have a minimum Verbal I.Q. of 130. The Very Rich Sought to install this Sub-Average I.Q., because they knew he would always perform as a Verbal I.Q. of 95, and always be under their control.. This was the single most Corrupt Political Fact of the 21St Century!

March 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  25. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

Why haven't we impeached this dweeb? Surely "criminal incompetence" qualifies as a "high crime."

March 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |