March 14th, 2008

Clinton wins backing of Pittsburgh mayor

Ravenstahl is backing Clinton.
Ravenstahl is backing Clinton.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton will get the endorsement of Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl at a campaign event Friday, sources close to the campaign confirmed.

The senator from New York will also get the backing of Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato, the sources said.

Ravenstahl and Onorato are not superdelegates, but their endorsements add to Clinton's strong support among Democratic leaders in the state, where Clinton and Barack Obama will face their next contest on April 22.

Clinton also has the backing of Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, Philadelphia Mayor Mike Nutter, and the party's chairman in the state, T.J. Rooney.

Ravenstahl, 28, is the youngest mayor in Pittsburgh's history, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

– CNN's Suzanne Malveaux and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. NOBAMA NO WAY!

Smart man!!

CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT!

March 14, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. billie

awesome!!! let's turn this around and get Hillary back on top!

March 14, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  3. Diego

looks like Her support is taking shape.

can anyone tell me who is supporting Obama in the state?
    I havent heard anything about him.

March 14, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  4. kings

Pennslyvania by the admission of all is already a shoo-in for clinton,everybody knows that,even the polls say 20% lead,but i hope it does not turn out to be another florida,where the "agentsof change" rode from a settled 25% lead for the clinton before "meet me in texas" to a win.Well lets expect that the change team STAYS AT 38%,if Obama makes anything closer to 44% in Penn not with all that childhood video of Hillary in scanton,then Obama is entiltled to beat his chest and say ,yes Penslyvania got ready for change.afterall it is not "everybody" that feels comfortable casting a ballot against those we grew up with.Clinton sure will enjoy that support not for anything in particular ,but for that part of her history that lie buried there,just like that 70% or so lead that Barack gannered from Hawaii.but my care is to admonish clinton to be Careful six weeks is a pretty long time for Americans to figure out stuff about her tax returns,earmarks,vote on iraq,the Clintons presidential library cash coming from Saudi royal family ,Bills Dubai ports world lobby,the visit to that uranuim rich country with the canadian,in exchange for a 100 million doller donation to a foundation did they say over a hundred years?etc, etc, etc,my take is let it not be Obama,he has promised a clean campiagn so he should run one as he is at the present.if hillary wins Penn with less than double digit,Penn is sure sending a message.copy dat?

March 14, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  5. lee

His endorsement holds NO weight. He's ONLY a mayor and he's 28. What does HE know???

March 14, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  6. HELP WANTED/EXPERIENCE NEEDED

Wow! I am so glad about this. Hillary need his support to win this state. I am tired of people turning on the Clintons. After MS result it looks like AA's have been brain washed but I am an AA and I still support you Hillary.

Help Wanted/Experience Needed

March 14, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  7. kathleen

Rendall announced he will not run for governer in Penn. for the
    third time. Does that mean he is not well, liked and would not win
    or that Hillary offered Rendall the job of Sec. of Energy is she wins.

March 14, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  8. Scott Dodgson

Why is Hilary Clinton still running? If the roles were reversed this nomination process would be over. Obama has the pledged delegates, popular vote, and the national polls on his side. Hilary's argument seems very weak and ultimately destructive to the Democratic party. Big states are better than the small states? After all when the final count is finished Obama won Texas. These Pennsylvanian politicians are just trying to save their bacon with their electorate. I would bet the PA election will be very close in the end and they'll end up supporting Obama at the convention. Come on Hilary put your power grab on hold and do the right thing!

March 14, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  9. Matt from Iraq

Such a disappointment to hear this. Born and raised in Pittsburgh, die-hard Steelers fan, and take every opportunity I get away from places like Iraq to visit. I sure wish Mayor Ravenstahl would have put his support behind Obama, but in the end it's up to the people to make up there own minds. I know I mailed my Absentee ballot off today for Obama in PA.

March 14, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. Mad Texan

Hang in there Hillary. You will take Obama yet. THE TRUTH is finally coming out on the man. VOTERS: type in the search engine OBAMA AND REV. WRIGHT IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH. HILLARY 08

March 14, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  11. David

Yay! Finally... hopefully this shows MEN, and especially YOUNG men, that they can support Hillary Clinton without feeling down on themselves.

I mean, if they're looking for a tough person to run this country, I tell you, there is NOBODY tougher than Hillary Clinton.
    ;) Clinton '08

March 14, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  12. Lostfigs

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

March 14, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  13. aware

Mahalo!

Hillary the HOPE of 08 and the only smart choice! :)

Baracks's chicken's are coming home to roost via the angry bigotry spewed by his friend and pastor (Wright) of many years.

March 14, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  14. someone smiling in Texas

Finally something that makes sense.....leaders that realize that Hillary is the best choice for president........Go Hillary!!!

March 14, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  15. Just a thought

NO surprise here either, she has Pennsylvania democratic party behind her all the way. There is no way on Earth she should lose this primary election.

She is very smart all the people in power are for her...why I ask?

On top of everyone saying she is a better candidate how. I am a first time politic person and this is what I see:

a. Every time she is on TV, she is saying one thing and doing another thing. Lack of trust, even knowing most politicians lie. It just seems natural to her.

b. How everything she loses has a legitimate excuse she creates from the Blacks like myself to the activist causus goers, to oh those are republic states. Do you ever try to risk the unknown or its basically go with what I know. I don't want a president that inside a box, step outside just a little bit.

c. The oh he is not good enough strategy then two weeks later he good enough to be second best to me. I don't like that belittement

d. No one talks about her affirmative action case: Bill Clinton's wife

e. Her 35 years of experience baffles me: she has held a senate seat,which is run by her and for, for about 6-8 years. where Obama, has held a political office, which is run by him and for him, 12 years. more EXPERIENCE?

f. SPeeches are just words Yet her China foreign policy experience is based on a speach...DOUBLE TALK?

BTW: I critize OBAMA too, get rid of that pastor, so nobody can try to hinder your obivious no racism.

DOES ANYBODY realize OBAMA is white than the average black person. Raised by whites, with white values. DO YOU KNOW THIS??? Just remember whites he is just as much like you as he is like me a black man.

March 14, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. JT

Momentum is on Hillary!!

March 14, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  17. drew

This is good for Clinton, but I think it may be too little too late. Obama is going to be the nominee, so as Democrats we must rally behind this guy. The last thing this country needs is 4 more years of Bush-like tactics. If we don't elect him in November, we will never recover. Our country will go down the drain, along with the dreams and support of our younger generation. I don't know about you, but I don't want my kids to deal with that. I want them to be proud they live in the greatest country in the world, but right now this country is far from the greatest. The Bush administration has disgraced us, and McCain will do no better. We need a Democrat in the White House for a change in order to get something done. Im sorry, Hillary, but Barack is too far ahead and it looks like he is our guy. You need to support him before it's too late.

March 14, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  18. Robert Las Vegas

I am proven right again!! Get the political big wigs on your side ,it will be picked up by the press and you get a bunch of free publicity.If you get it out first you have a big advantage over your opponent. Nya Nya Nya. Bunch of schoolyard infighting. Get to the issues ,tell me what you plan for my future,as a resident of this country. Don`t tell me what you think I want to hear, tell me what I need to know so I can make up my own mind about who to vote for.

March 14, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  19. kate, BERNARDSVILLE, NJ

that doesn't mean anything!!

March 14, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  20. david

We're hoping Hillary can win by a 20% margin in Pennsylvania.

GO HILLARY GO!

March 14, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  21. Cyril, London

It's no surprise that another member of the party establishment in PA supports Clinton.

It's not really a major news story and I'm sure Clinton will carry the State, but by how much will be the interesting factor. If it's less than 10%, Obama can say he's done very well.

March 14, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. Scott

You mean a white guy is backing a white woman, SHOCKER!!!! The Democratic party used to be about many issues and many races, now it is just a party for whites. Not much different then the Republican party really.

March 14, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  23. YELENA

GO HILLARY GO YOU ARE THE BEST.

March 14, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  24. Paulinus

That will not make a difference to Hillary's defeat.

March 14, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. Frank

WAY TO GO HILLARY!!!! WE'LL SUPPORT ALL THE WAY!

March 14, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |