March 17th, 2008

Sir Elton John set to fundraise for Clinton

(CNN)–Sir Elton John is set to perform a solo concert at New York’s Radio City Music Hall next month to help fundraise for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

“I’m not a politician but I believe in the work that Hillary Clinton does,” said John in a statement released by the Clinton campaign Monday. “I’m excited to support Hillary by performing at what will be a truly memorable night.”

The event, called “Elton and Hillary: One Night Only,” will take place April 9, and marks the superstar's first solo public concert since October 2000.

Throughout his career, John has supported many charities helping to raise millions for his AIDS foundation, breast cancer awareness and New York’s food banks. Last October John helped Clinton celebrate her 60th birthday with a star-studded fundraiser at the Beacon Theatre in New York.

Tickets for next month’s performance go on sale Wednesday starting at $125 for Mezzanine seats and $250 for Orchestra seats. With 5,933 seats available at the historic venue, a sold-out show could raise upwards of $800,000 for Clinton’s campaign.

–CNN’s Emily Sherman

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. ready for some action

BUSH
    CLINTON
    CLINTON
    BUSH
    BUSH
    CLINTON??

are you freaking kidding me?? country is now in the toilet because of these two families and some of you bozos want the "legacy" to continue??

good luck with all that...

i'm going with the smart guy from chicago with incredible leadership skills and an ornery "black panther" pastor!

really, rev. wright? you're so 60's. it's the new millenium so get with the program. and stop dragging my man, obama, down :)

March 17, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  2. Oregon Voter

It's good to see that some people aren't scared to speak the truth. Bashing Hillary for the sake of bashing her is ridiculous. Whatever your opinion of her, she's done INCREDIBLE work for women, children, and veterens around the world. More people should stand up for her and proclaim that enough is enough.

March 17, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. Renee

Am I missing something.... are these the same Hillary supporters that said celebrity support means nothing. I doubt on either side will a celebrity change someones vote. it will merely be a free night out.
    And don't think Obamas won't be there!
    Reality Check!!!!!!

March 17, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  4. Soren

Bad choice, Elton. Good-bye.

March 17, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  5. Steve

wow, some really rude and hateful comments on here in response to a fundraiser.

March 17, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  6. Todd Bronson

Try finding "homosexuality" on the Obama website.

Why should gays flock to him, when Hillary will always be there for us?

We aren't part of his church or family.

March 17, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. Gary

This is a great cause! we love you Elton! You made the right choice! You should invite smart supporters of HILLARY too like Madonna, Cher & Janet Jackson too! It's time to show America the right choice for the President! GO HILLARY! The right choice & solution for Progress!

March 17, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  8. Alice Brian

It amazes me that Obama claimed his supporters are ‘up-scale, well-educated’. Are you kidding? Just by reading the Obama supporters’ comment you will know how down right mean and hateful they are.

March 17, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  9. Trevor

I guess it's time to sell those Elton John CDs – hello Ebay...

March 17, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  10. Carol Myers

I have to agree the Obama supporters are filled with hate. They must have been so Obama's church. They act like Republicans and believe me that is the worst insult I can give anyone. You act like Republicans.
    Carol Oh.

March 17, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  11. ch

This will be a great event. Hillary and Elton are Divas!!

Maybe lying Obama will have a fundraising concert with his esteemed Reverend Jeremiah Wright? Obama can open it with:

(Sung to the tune of Joy to the World by 3 Dog Night)

Jeremiah was my pastor …

Is a good friend of mine..

I never disputed a single word he said

I just listened to him whine

Yes he always had some mighty fine whines

March 17, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  12. Medvedeva

Hillary will lose the primaries "like a candle in the wind!" Obama is the "Rocket Man!"

March 17, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  13. Kerry

More FOREIGNERS helping the Clintons. Go figure?

Now you know why the Clintons are afraid to release their tax returns. American jobs are going to FOREIGNERS and they are making lots of money from FOREIGNERS in return.

March 17, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  14. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

This is good news for Hillary and plays to the strenght of her support. I liken this to the Super bowl half-time shows of the past few years – going after the older crowd while ignoring the youger generation.

March 17, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  15. Lisa in Iowa

Elton John was my idol since I was in 5th grade, but I must say, I've lost all respect for him, backing Hillary.

Oh Elton, where did we go wrong!

Obama all the way!

March 17, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  16. Michael

I find it funny that when Arcade Fire holds free concerts in Ohio for Obama, the local Clinton campaign pointed out that Arcade Fire is a Canadian band (partially true, the lead singer is a Texan). Now that they have a British performer in their corner, they keep their mouths shut.

March 17, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  17. On to the White House

How could any normal, right minded, American citizen see Barack Obama as the next President of the United States?.
    The Republicans must be rubbing their hands with glee,and drooling at the mouth at the prospect of possibly taking this guy on in November.
    Barack has made to many critical mistakes. His 20 year old relationship with a suspect ex church minister, his relationship with a somewhat shady realtor, his foreign policy gaffs {NAFTA and IRAQ}
    his economic and medi care platforms. and other gaffs that could surface before November.
    Sorry Barack,but you have always been number two. Its just that you did,nt know it.
    Go Elton.GO Hilary...........our next Commander in Chief.

March 17, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  18. Mike in Houston

I agree with Keith Richards. Elton only gets hits when he sings about blondes.

March 17, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  19. Renee

Correction on my post $125/$250 may be helpful. I think I maybe a over zealous Obama supporter! Sorry

March 17, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  20. Anonymous

IF OPRAH CAN FUND OBAMA THEN HILLARY HAS THE RIGHT TO ELTON. STOP MAKING THIS ABOUT ANYTHING BUT THE FACT THAT THIS COUNTRY IS IN TROUBLE AND WE NEED TO MAKE MATURE DECISIONS BASED ON THAT. WHO ALREADY KNOWS THE JOB? IT'S SIMPLE PEOPLE.

March 17, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. Robert in Toronto,ON

First of all Steve, a fundraiser for a campaign isn't the same as a fundraiser for a charity – so you can be critical if you believe to be in this case.

As for Elton John, I still think he's a decent artist – although I personally wouldn't shell out the $300 dollars it costs for his concerts.

This is what it is: one celebrity choosing their way to support what they believe is their candidate. Nothing more than that and it won't change most people's votes. If a person is voting for a candidate because of who they know...maybe you shouldn't be voting.

Now, if they were really smart they would donate all the proceeds from that event to a charity.

March 17, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |