March 18th, 2008

Murtha endorses Clinton

Murtha endorsed Clinton Tuesday.
Murtha endorsed Clinton Tuesday.

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Rep. John Murtha announced Tuesday he's backing Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

In a statement, Murtha said Clinton is "the candidate that will forge a consensus on health care, education, the economy, and the war in Iraq.

"I've known Senator Clinton for fifteen years," he said. "I know that she continually reaches out for opinions and ideas not just from our nation's leaders, but from all Americans."

Murtha’s announcement comes several weeks before the critical Pennsylvania Democratic presidential primary. He is also the latest so-called Democratic “Super Delegate” to choose sides in the contest between Clinton and Barack Obama. According to CNN's latest estimate, Clinton leads Obama among super delegates by 30, though that margin is significantly less than it was before Super Tuesday.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Murtha
  1. rb

Great! Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!

March 18, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  2. lanray

My major initial intent as we began to look at the potential candidates for our next President was to get Rudy Guiliani as far away as possible from representing me as our next Commander in Chief. Thank God his arrogance and attitude lost him the Florida votes. What an loser he was!

Now I am left with not one individual who I can fully endorse as my next President - Hillary is not that person - Obama is certainly not someone i can support – that leaves me with the Old Man, McCain, and I certainly don't agree with his endorsement of the Iraqi fiasco.
    What is the average American to do? There is no one that I can see who fits the bill to lead this Country. Obama is really a laughing stock of all the candidates. What a joke he is!!!

March 18, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  3. maggie

Thank you, John Murtha! This shows what good judgment you have!

March 18, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  4. Len

He'll cash this favor in big time.

March 18, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  5. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Dear Mr. John Murtha, you are the real Democrat leader. Kerry and Kennedy are not at same level with you and they will never be.
    Thank you Rep. Murtha, I knew you are bigger than House speaker, Nancy. Why? Nancy said she wants delegates should choose the nominee by the rule, not superdelegates, means she is Obama's side. I think she made a huge mistake because Obama will lose, he lost his confidence and supporters will leave him slowly when his real colors is disclosed more. I was disappointed by Nancy's interview, but I feel better because Mr. Murtha recognized Hillary's ability. Go Hillary, you will win State by State from 22 April.

March 18, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  6. Elizabeth

Impressive the first in how many weeks?

March 18, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  7. bob

What a chowder head

March 18, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  8. Rick

What a shame! I would have hoped for better from a fellow vet.

March 18, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  9. Michael

Way to go Rep. Murtha! People really respect you as an independent thinker!

March 18, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  10. Mary

Thank you Murtha for endorsing Hillary Clinton for President. Super Delgates you need to follow suit and step up to the plate and endorse Hillary. Many of the Super Delgates steped out before Ohio and Texas to change the race to favor Obama. We all know that Hillary is ready to be President, so get off your tush and help make it happen. I don't know what has been wrong with you super delgates. I think you are disgusting playing with this decision about selecting a President.

March 18, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  11. Patrick

Ouch that has to hurt Clinton to be endorsed by this guy. He called our troops murderers before even seeing the evidence or giving them a chance to respond. He's far worse than moveon.org

March 18, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  12. Gracia A

I guess Murtha know which side his pork is buttered on.

March 18, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  13. Elly May

Not sure if this helps Hillary, Barack, or McCain. My guess in McCain.

March 18, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  14. Marty CA

Great! An endorsement that really means something. This guy is gutty, courageous, and well-respected. Thanks, John, for baking the best candidate!

March 18, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  15. Marty CA

Hey John, I meant "Thanks for backing the best candidate", certainly not "baking the best candidate". Sorry about the typo, but it is sort of funny.

March 18, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  16. kiki

This man really knows what our country needs. Thank you John Murtha.
    HILLARY 08

March 18, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  17. Mary - Independent

Murtha can give Hillary strength! It is not over until it is over.
    GO HILLARY!

March 18, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  18. Lucas, Nashville TN

Sad.

March 18, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  19. melisa

good u will support for hillary finally than obama

March 18, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. Irene Hawaii

Sen. Clinton has 8 years while Pres. Clinton was in office to forge ahead with health care and failed. It seems that she was unable to reach out to bi-partisan support at that time, and failed miserably. She was unable to convince Pres. Clinton that NAFTA would be detrimental to the US workers when he was working on that issue, will she be more affective the second time around?

March 18, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  21. Kathy

Go Hillary

The party and nation you more TODAY than EVER !

God Bless America

March 18, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  22. hhkeller

Obamas consistant poor choices and backpedaling make me think he needs a few more years in the Senate.

March 18, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  23. Robin

Is this CNN's attempt to give Hillary a little air time today? One more superdelegate...big deal!

March 18, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  24. Q

Isnt he the same senator who constanly whined about The situation in Iraq, how Troops are getting killed, Yet here he is Endorsing one of the People who Helped authorize the War
    Ironic