March 18th, 2008

ON THE TRAIL: Tuesday, March 18, 2008

ALT TEXT

Compiled by Jonathan Helman, CNN Washington Bureau

*Hillary Clinton has events in Philadelphia and Millersville, Pennsylvania.

*John McCain is in Jerusalem.

*Barack Obama gives a major speech on race at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Filed under: On the Trail
  1. len

Two comments or arther questions:
    1. What would America's opinion have been of the voting system in Florida if the state had been in Eastern Europe, Africa or South America?
    2. How is it possible that the USA continues to behave like an ostrich with respect to its racism?

March 18, 2008 05:54 am at 5:54 am |
  2. Mark, VA

What makes me very nervous is that Obama's skeletons are just starting to come out. It is only going to get worse if he is nominated. The Republicans will find more things. The lead he has received in delegates would not have happened if voters knew what they know now. I voted for Obama in the Virginia primary, now I want a redo. I did not listen to my friends that Obama did not have the experience to be President. Now his judgment is being questioned, which is what he convinced me would trump experience. I guess great speeches aren't enough. But like the saying goes: fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Well I am not going to be fooled twice. It is either Clinton or McCain for me.

March 18, 2008 06:05 am at 6:05 am |
  3. Sharon Ray

What time is Obama's speech?

March 18, 2008 06:44 am at 6:44 am |
  4. LA

Whatever Obama says today it will not be enough to save his candidacy. The videos on YouTube are not sound bites and they are not "just words". I hope he is planning to suspend his campaign today. I wanted Clinton to win, but not this way.

March 18, 2008 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  5. Kris from AZ

Hopefully this speach will show poeple exactly where Obama stands as a Christian. I really do hope to see Obama give a good hearted speach and inspire us. remember UNITY after Primary is over my fellow dems.

March 18, 2008 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  6. Paul from Kissimmee

I would like to know, does Obama love his church, or his country. You can't love both since his church is anti American.

I also want to apologize for any hardships in his life. You see, I am one of those rich white bastards that controls America. Only thing is, I don't seem to have anymore control than a regular voter. I also don't feel very rich.

I also want to apologize for starting genocide by creating the aids virus to erase the black race. Maybe your other friend Farrakhan was right, we are just a race that hasn't fully evolved.

March 18, 2008 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  7. Beryl Mills

John McCain has been given Carte Blanche as if he is already President of the United States.

March 18, 2008 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  8. Dana from Texas

You(MEDIA) have blown this out of the ball park. Why are you not talking about how REPUBLICANS(RUSH LIMBAUGH) manipulated the votes in TEXAS by 100,000 which was DISHONEST to Barack Obama. Had Hilliary won THE HONEST WAY it would have been different. This is about SCRUPLES and HONESTY and INTEGRITY. SInce when does BILL CLINTON go on RUSH LIMBAUGH SHOW and FOXNEWS – he must be behind it don't you think. Why not talk about this – it has to do JUDGMENT. THis is what makes some RACIAL tensions – because the playing field is not EVEN; when the playing field is EVEN – we do win sometimes. Now that you all see that Hilliary is not going to catch up – eventhough she won some dishonestly – YOU are going to help her by supporting FOX with the REV. WRIGHT story – this is why THE MAN is so ANGRY – the anger has built up OVER TIME.

March 18, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  9. Kathie

How disgusting that McCain is using those brave men and women fighting in Iraq as his own political campaigning tool. If he thinks
    it makes him look presidential , he is right he looks exactly like
    Bush. An unethical opportunist .

March 18, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  10. IveyLeague5

This is an exciting day. With HOPE, I expect this to be the first in a series of many "civil" discussions about race in the USA.

Thanks again, Obama. You lead the way!

March 18, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  11. suraj

Once in a generation men like Obama, Mandela, King, Kuffy and other exceptional leaders comes along; I am hoping that America ceases this opportunity to unite this country not only across party lines but also across racial and religious lines.

I grew up in a racially divided country where Blacks are faired and it does not take long to recognize the danger in them.. but something struck me about Obama… I find my self defending a person from a race that ill treat us so much in our home land….Some thing is special about Obama …take this opportunity America….it may not come again.

March 18, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  12. JEP

"just words?" another lie for Obama. He is not going to say anything new but just to evade the real problem. Obama is not forthright and honest. What kind of judgement will he have as my president? Nobama should say goodbye to his ambitions now.
    Go Hillary '08 is all I can say

March 18, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  13. Uncle Sam

Why are presidential candidates not properly vetted?

March 18, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  14. Keep Obama Out

There is nothing this man can say that will change my opinion now.
    He lost my support and he lost my vote and many of my white male friends. He uses JUST WORDS to fool us all.

I dont care what the media spin on it is – They should try and help save us from this man and is preacher. That is not what we want in the white house.

Do not be fooled again my friends. Support Hillary She is good for ALL the people not just the BLACK people. And we are a country in trouble.

March 18, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  15. pat

We are such a needy people that when Obama the preacher came along we wanted to believe in his honesty. We have been made fools-of by this man. He is a LIAR!!! His wife told the truth and we gave her the benefit of the dought. WE ARE FOOLS!!!!!
    I have been betrayed-how about you????

March 18, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  16. TRUTH

I wonder what some people think of the parents or grandparents saying aweful things about African Americans during their lifetime. Do you value their opinions? I hope not!! People like Rev Wright grew up during Jim Crow. Most African Americans over the age 60 share Rev. Wright opinions. However, growing up as a person I learned to have my opinion and thing are changing.

Go Obama!!

March 18, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  17. Kathie

Suraj: What exactly has Obama done or accomplished to be compared to King or Mandela ? You belittle these great men's
    achievements to compare him to them .

March 18, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  18. Fred

Obama is going to move this country ahead to greatness. Not back to what we use to be.

March 18, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |