March 19th, 2008

Poll: Bush's approval hits new low

A new CNN poll shows Bush's approval has reached a new low.
A new CNN poll shows Bush's approval has reached a new low.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Just 31 percent of Americans approve of how President Bush is handling his job, according to a poll released Wednesday, the fifth anniversary of the start of the Iraq war.

Sixty-seven percent of those questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey disapprove of the president's performance.

The 31 percent approval number is a new low for Bush in CNN polling, and 40 points lower than the president's number at the start of the Iraq war.

Full story

Filed under: President Bush
  1. JAMES IN BAMA

I THINK BOTH BUSHES AND OBAMAS RATING ARE REACHING NEW LOWS. ONLY I THINK SOMEONE IS THERE TO BAIL OUT BUSH BY TRYING TO FIX THE ECONOMY FOR HIM AND ALL OF HIS STUPID MISTAKES. I DONT THINK THE SAME CAN BE SAID FOR OBAMA. IT IS THE PEOPLE HE HAS SURROUNDED HIMSELF WITH THAT HAVE HELPED DIG THE HOLE HE IS IN, AND HE IS UNWILLING TO STEP ON THEM TO GET OUT OF IT.

March 19, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  2. Bob

Clever the way you guys at CNN allow posts to be seen on one IP address while concealing it from all others. What I don't understand is why you fellows censor me so routinely. As people in the journalism business, I'd expect the opinions of everyone are viewed objectively and fairly. Apparently I'm mistaken. I wish it were otherwise.

March 19, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  3. Not On Our Watch

Dan,

McCain could never be president because he has not distinguished himself from Bush. If you're president, and you have a 31% approval rating, that means 69% of the people think you're doing a lousy job. If they think you are doing a lousy job, why would they vote for someone you endorse? That's crazy.

No Dan, if Bush didn't learn from the last election in 2006, he will definitely get the message in 2008. Americans resoundingly don't approve of his administration, and where he has driven this country.
    My only regret is that we didn't wake up 4,000 men, and women ago.

March 19, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  4. John Starnes Tampa Florida

That those 31% can approve of the wholesale trashing of America is tragic....do they even bother to be informed?

March 19, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  5. Michael

Surprise surprise

March 19, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  6. The Awful Truth

The job was way over his head, and we should have raised our collective radar when he couldn't find a VP. That should have told us something. I honestly believe he never really wanted the job, but it was given to him, like most of the breaks he has received in life.

I don't think he really understands what he has done to this country. If he didn't like, or understand a law, he simply did away with it, or ignored it. We have played a heavy price for his presidency.

He can't give us the lives he is responsible for, but he can tell us the truth about the war, for once. Unfortunately, I don't think he is that big of a man. Sad.

March 19, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  7. Richard, St. Paul, MN

I can't believe that the 31 percent are that blind or partisan to see what a downward streak Bush has taken America on. But I guess even a cretin like Bush can still fool some of the people some of the time.

March 19, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  8. Deborah

America must have prayed to GOD to give us the
    Worst President!!!!!

George "W" Worst Bush

March 19, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  9. Drive The Nation

If McCain is going to support a Bush War Policy, economic policy, over-all foreign policy, immigration policy, and trade policy, then he's going to have a hard time with the 67% of Americans voting in the General Election.

McCain isn't winning anything. He just doesn't have any Republican rivals anymore, so it seems like he's winning. These are just polls created to make news headlines and stir up controversy between Democrats and Republicans.

If 67% of Americans disapprove of Bush, and Bush endorses McCain, and McCain follows in line with a Bush policy- people aren't going to vote for McCain.

McCain might as well have had Satan endorse him.

March 19, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  10. Rapid

That's because 31% of the people polled are asleep, don't buy groceries, don't drive cars and think having a president who tramples on the constitution is an okay deal.

March 19, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  11. CHERYL

HILLARY WILL WIN !

OBAMA'S OUT!!!!!!!

LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 19, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  12. Betty

GW was a poor businessman, a poor Texas Governor, and now he's proven himself to be a poor President. And yet, I'm sure some idiots will pay $100,000 a pop for him to come make one of folksy incoherent speeches at their conservafest once he's out of office. How many more days????

March 19, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  13. Jake

Yeah, how many days now til we see the end of this clown?

March 19, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  14. Mark

Speaks VOLUMES that his VP is not even TRYING to run for president. Criminals, both of them.

March 19, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  15. Nikole

Who ARE these 31% of Americans and what country do they live in?

March 19, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  16. Cosmic Comedy Queen - Go Hillary!!!

Bush is almost history. So what else is new?

March 19, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  17. ObamaSupporters

What else is new. This idiot doesn't care, he knows he's leaving in 8 months.

March 19, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  18. Alice Fort Myers Fl USA

The only one who would score lower is Obama if that racist liar snake-headed at this point unelectable creep manages to slither his way into the White House

March 19, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  19. Truth Please

I don't know why his popularity is so low. People in this country love to be lied to. How else could this man be in office for 8 years. I guess the I Spy nature of hiding everything from the public, while he and his administration robs the country blind is appealing and if he sends the country and the economy sliding down a slippery slope to hell, then oh my God please don't admit you made a mistake and seek help to correct it because then you're weak. Oh My God the people in this country are incredible. They/ve take everything away from you. Your pensions, homes, jobs and you still threaten to put the same thing back into office again over what a old minister said God Help Us.

March 19, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  20. Alice Fort Myers Fl USA

...And Jack Cafferty and the rest of the "Most Obiased News Team on TV" still think Baralf is the "golden boy" – I am starting to think they are all in love with him

LOL – I can't wait to see the look on Frankenstein's (Jack Cafferty's – his frowning mug always reminds me of Frankenstein) face when he finally has to wake up to the fact that his "golden boy" is unelectable despite all his hard work to make Hillary look like a "monster"

Goodness – he WILL REALLY look like Frankenstein then – maybe his head will explode

March 19, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |