March 20th, 2008

McCain camp suspends staffer over Wright video

A video circulated by a McCain staffer questioned Obama's patriotism and included footage of Wright.

(CNN) - The McCain campaign suspended a staff member Thursday afternoon for distributing a YouTube video that questions Barack Obama's patriotism and includes footage from the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's controversial sermons.

“We have been very clear on the type of campaign we intend to run and this staffer acted in violation of our policy. He has been reprimanded by campaign leadership and suspended from the campaign,” McCain campaign spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker said.

The suspended staffer, Soren Dayton, works in the campaign's political department and distributed the YouTube video via the internet application Twitter earlier Thursday.

A campaign aide insists Soren Dayton was a low level staffer and who had “no role in the communications shop.”

McCain insists repeatedly that he will not engage in personal attacks on Democrats, and CNN was told last week that campaign aides are working on an op-ed to be published in the senator's name warning his surrogates and supporters not to do so.

– CNN's Dana Bash

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Key

The Publicans are saving Obama.

March 20, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  2. Kim

This is why I respect McCain. He will run on his own merits and not throw mud and personal attacks towards a canidate that has no control over what another person says. I also know that the Clinton campaign are the ones who gave the tapes of Rev. Wright to ABC news and told them to "have at it". Hillary Clinton is the last person we need in the White House. Hasn't there been enough blood shed and economic woes, because of this war? Hillary is waging another war against a member of her own party, which proves she is not a uniter and will destroy anyone who gets in her way. She scares the hell out of me.

March 20, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  3. benji

McCain doesn't stand a chance against Hillary or Obama.

March 20, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  4. Hal

Good for John McCain a man of integrity and character VERY presidential. It is good to see that some of the candidates are really trying to change the nature of politics in the US. I hope Hillary and Barack will take note!!

March 20, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  5. Janel, St. Paul, MN

Good for Senator McCain. I believe him when he says his campaign won't use the race card to win the race against Obama.

When Obama wins the Democratic nomination, the debates between these two honorable men will be informative.

March 20, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  6. Warren in texas

Time to move on. What about National Security, Illegal Immegration, Taxes, Jobs?......

March 20, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  7. Melissa R, Louisiana

I applaud Senator McCain for doing what he has done. I believe this campaign should be about the issues facing this country not about what their supporters say.

He also knows that anyone who questions Senator Obama's patriotism will have it come back to bite them. Americans are not stupid they will see through all the right wing spin rhetoric.

March 20, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. Sarah -NC

Good for McCain! I probably won't vote for a republican anytime soon because of their policys, but its nice to see one with integrity. It will be nice to see a race between Obama and McCain –it might actually focus on the issues.

March 20, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. Amy

The damage is already done. McCain is just like the rest of them... well, maybe he's surrounded by a few more lobbyists.

March 20, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. Martha

Did Obama really not know his churches platform on politics?...I think that may have cost him the election...politics/religion...ultimate choices...our devine choices...we need to think them through with all the facts!

March 20, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  11. Ardnuas

Excellent !!!
    I am voting for Barack Obama if he wins the nomination, but John MCCAIN will be my second choice !!!!!
    Obama/Edwards08 Si Se Puede

March 20, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  12. Max Kil

Congrats senator. You show leadership and you are above all tumoils. We need to focus on the issues.

March 20, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. Max

Bravo, McCain – now if only Hillary would follow your lead.

March 20, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  14. Mike

Congratulations John McCain for tthat. We want issues on this and not people like your staffer.

March 20, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  15. tryme

The right to do McCain. I do not know if I will vote for you in Nov but such gestures may win me.

March 20, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  16. stacy in nc

Way to go McCain. I wish my party would be so smart and stop dragging each other through the mud. Now just change some of your bad choices on economy and war and we may get some where.

March 20, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  17. veronica

i tip my hat to you senator mccain. you are a good man, and an honorable american – but you are too similar to bush and a bit old-fashioned.
    Barack has my vote

March 20, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  18. raj

Mccain is a real nice person . But he is either too forgetfull or plain ignorant. He says Iran is training Alqaida terrorists . Apparently he knows nothing about the 1000 years of hatred between the sunnis and shias . How many more ignorant presidents can we have in this country ? . The plus point for Mccain is that he is not as ignorant as the current president !

March 20, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  19. Nunya

I guess it's good that McCain has taken this action, but it's kind of shutting the barn door after the horse is gone...

March 20, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  20. Sly

Nice job McCain camp, way to be agressive on this one and run a tight campaign. We appreciate it!

Obama 08!

March 20, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  21. sazzylady

Hooray for McCain supporter who can see Anti-American Obama in true light. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 20, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  22. Rich

If Obama doesn't win the Democratic nomination you have my vote!

March 20, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  23. Vince - Phoenix

suspends???? why not FIRED????

March 20, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  24. La Bomb ba

It isn't necessary to protect Obama Racist friends or Obama teaching his children Hate and unholy religion

March 20, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  25. CB

I can honestly say... If Obama does not get the nomination, I feel very comfortable in voting for McCain. Here's a man that may not have all of the answers, but has amazing Integrity. His actions over the last few months have spoken louder than Hillary's rhetoric. Just the little stuff like this.. What a great person.

March 20, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |