March 20th, 2008

McCain camp suspends staffer over Wright video

A video circulated by a McCain staffer questioned Obama's patriotism and included footage of Wright.

(CNN) - The McCain campaign suspended a staff member Thursday afternoon for distributing a YouTube video that questions Barack Obama's patriotism and includes footage from the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's controversial sermons.

“We have been very clear on the type of campaign we intend to run and this staffer acted in violation of our policy. He has been reprimanded by campaign leadership and suspended from the campaign,” McCain campaign spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker said.

The suspended staffer, Soren Dayton, works in the campaign's political department and distributed the YouTube video via the internet application Twitter earlier Thursday.

A campaign aide insists Soren Dayton was a low level staffer and who had “no role in the communications shop.”

McCain insists repeatedly that he will not engage in personal attacks on Democrats, and CNN was told last week that campaign aides are working on an op-ed to be published in the senator's name warning his surrogates and supporters not to do so.

– CNN's Dana Bash

Filed under: John McCain
  1. kwFEDUPVOTER

This is a disgrace, you people would do anything to get in the white house. It's out there now. I will never believe he didn't know about this.

You people have raked this man over the coals for someone elses views, just so you can get to the white house.

Shame on "All of You", the Clinton's are no better.

March 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  2. kay

This actually make Hillary looks really bad!!!!

March 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  3. R. Glover

WOW..... BOUT TIME SOMEONE GETS OFF THE RACE ISSUE.... TO BAD IT HAD TO BE THE REPUBLICAN PARY TO MAKE THE FIRST MOVE..

March 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  4. Rj

Someone has so out there knows enough is enough. Maybe the Media and Hillary Camp can take this as an ex sample . Barack Obama already did everything he could to stop this cloud over his head.

After all there is many many thing in this world to think about than this tape . That being shown over and over and over again.

How long are they going to talk about this . ??? how long .

March 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. MC, Texas

Why? This person only exposed the truth.

March 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  6. Pamela Dodson

I have to wholeheartedly agree with Senator McCain and I also commend him for being the ADULT in squashing this type of behavior out of his campaign. Staying focused on the REAL ISSUES and not being so absorbed into what someone said or didn't say. The Dems are going to self-destruct themselves with nonsense and foolishness.

March 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  7. Mark, Washington, MD

There are only two genuine candidates in this presidential campaign: Barack Obama and John McCain. McCain's response is the very opposite of Hillary Clinton. Hillary is using the Wright situation to win super delegates, while MCCain is calling for sober and focused campaign on the issues. I would love to see a contest between Obama and MCain. I like Obama, though. The Democrats have sound policies that should enable either of them to win over McCain. I like McCain, but his embrace of Bush and the war is frightening. But I would consider voting for him if Hillary is the Democratic nominee. Dynastic family rule is a greater threat to this Republic than a McCain presidency.

March 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. Freida NYC

Wow! Mc. Cain is a true gentleman, a genuine American, and a leader. His actions speak volume... I am very impressed! I am a democrat, but comes November I will vote for Mc. Cain if Hillary does not get the democratic nom.

NO OBAMA UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!

HILLARY OR MC. CAIN.

March 20, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  9. Connie

I would think Senator Mcain would not engage in this type of dirty politics, first of all, it has no place in the campaign, but when you have Carl Rove working for you, what can you expect. Now lets see what the media will do with this. I bet there will be no crucifition on this bit of news, the only candidate the media wants to crucify is Senator Barack Obama, because he does not fit the mold.

March 20, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  10. Red

Thank you, Senator McCain. I may not be supporting you, but I do respect you, and the fact that you are trying to run as clean a campaign as possible. I hope that you continue to do so.

March 20, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  11. LeftCoast Tim

The aged John McSame is a shell of his former self. Can he control the RNC and it's various 527 sub groups. I'd be doubting that. Let's see what happens when Rove takes over.

March 20, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  12. Greg

I won't be voting for him, for policy reasons, but I certainly respect his integrity. John gets it, Barack gets it, why can't everybody else get it? Many of us are sick of the dirty tactics that degrade our democratic system, and a politician who behaves with dignity has a much better chance of getting our vote. The days of dirty tricks are over.

March 20, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  13. Kathie

All you Obamaites were so quick to point the finger at the Clinton
    campaign . Your so steeped in your opinions that everything negative that comes out about your saviour Obama comes from Clinton advisors you forget he has other competition out there.

March 20, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  14. sascha

Good decision, Mr. Mc Cain!

March 20, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. Bud Curtis

I say this, not as a McCain supporter, although I will vote for him if Clinton is not the Democrat nominee.

McCain is taking the high road on this and other issues, probably because he is earnestly against perceived "dirty politics". However, I do not understand how one candidate runs opposed to another without being able to talk about the opponent without crossing some invisible line.

I think voters, on both sides of the aisle, have become too thin-skinned. No one should take this kind of stuff so personally. It is called a political campaign. Support whoever you will, but stop being so sensitive. It takes a lot of the fun and interest out of politics.

Bud
    Miami, OK

March 20, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  16. Murf

I may disagree with Sen. McCain on his position on the Iraq war, but no one can question the man's integrity.

March 20, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  17. dani

what ever happened to free speech. Oh, I know, we have to walk on eggshells with Barack..he might pull the race card again.

March 20, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  18. Frustrated

I'm very impressed by John McCain...he may not be so bad afterall, starting to look a lil different than Bush

March 20, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  19. Mauricio Galvao Anderson

So McHate shows his face.... And we are to see a lot of this until election day. But we all know that his next job is farming in Arizona.

March 20, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  20. Daniel

Good for McCain. I think he's a nice a man. I hope we won't run a throwing sink campaign.

March 20, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  21. Lawrence

To bad they did not can the staffer for campaigning like this.

March 20, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  22. Keeping It Real

WOW! Even McCain is running a campaign better than Hillary!!! HATS OFF TO THE MCCAIN CAMP!

March 20, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  23. karla stuck

What in the world is obama thinking when he exposes his CHILDREN to the kind of racism that his church preaches Children learn what they live!!!!!

March 20, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. Jennifer

I am an Obama supporter, but if Hillary steals the nomination, I am voting for McCain. McCain is a man of real integrity.

March 20, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. Randy - Denver

Ande the integrity of this man shows why if Not Mr. Obama than Mr. McCain. Ms. Clinton could learn a few things from these true American Heros.

March 20, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |