March 20th, 2008

State Department confirms breach on Obama's passport file

(CNN) - The State Department has confirmed a breach on Sen. Barack Obama's passport file, his campaign told CNN.

"This is an outrageous breach of security and privacy, even from an administration that has shown little regard for either over the last eight years," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton in a statement. "Our government's duty is to protect the private information of the American people, not use it for political purposes."

The campaign called for "a complete investigation" to find out who looked at Obama's passport file and why.

Updated 8:38 p.m. with statement from the Obama campaign

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Angela, DC

To those who think that it does not matter:

What if it were your file? The whole point is a security breach affects all of us and if Barack can be affected so can you and I. Everyone deserves some right to privacy.

March 20, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  2. Nikole

Uhh, this is not about where he has been being public. This is about your personal information, identifying info, being looked at by others.

March 20, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. John, Dallas, TX

I may be wrong (often am), but why is everyone jumping to the conclusion there was some horrible conspiracy behind this? I'd not be surprised at all if it were simple nosiness on the part of the contractors – Obama's a public figure, they figured out how to view the file . . .

March 20, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  4. NC

I find it funny that the only time in my life time I can remember all Americans being on the same page was after 9/11. There was even a commercial saying "I am an American"....but now it's all about black/white/hispanic, etc........

March 20, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  5. Ifeanyi Azubike Houston Texas

The story will remain inconclussive unless we know what they were looking for, who sent them, and also mark the coincidence of having three different individuals look at the files. No games please.

March 20, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  6. Vig

Obama's veracity has been outed and now he's fair game.

March 20, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  7. WhosehadEnough

I though Scooter Libby is no longer working for the Bush administration!! We should be wary of the overeaching arm of the federal government and the destruction of checks and balances drawn up in the Constitution that is being politically ripped to shredds in the name of 9/11.

March 20, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  8. Suzie

If Obama has nothing to hide why is he so worried about this whole situation? Is Obama concerned with that their will be a political backlash of some of the places he has traveled? People need to stop being so paranoid and blaming the Bush administration for everything. If the Bush administration wants to wiretap me and listen to my phone conservations then I don't care. They can listen to me order take out food. This is not that big of a deal considering the many crises currently taking place.

March 20, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  9. Leila

Is Obama going to call whomever looked at his files "typical white people"? That's what he said about his grandmother today.

March 20, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  10. Amy in Iowa

Those three breaches were done everytime Obama had made significant delegate wins. So this definitely seems political. It needs a thorough investigation.

March 20, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  11. Mad Texan

To blame Hillary is just more of the ignorance and why no one from the Obama camp including himself ever needs to be in any office. The call of you ignorantr people that think Hillary and Bill are the cause for all you bigoted woes. Just shut the hell up and get out of Hillary's way. Here comes the next President of the U.S. HILLARY 08

March 20, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  12. ndlily

For all of you saying, if he has nothing to hide . . . how would you like it if someone opened your personal files for any reason? Stop being such hypocrites.

March 20, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  13. Mike Z.

Turns out it was just two low-level contract employees and no obvious political motive–just plain old curiosity about a well-known public figure– and both have been fired. It was the administration itself that informed Obama of the breech. Obama will shamelessly play the victim here anyway, I suspect. It will be just like Obama played the victim with Ferraro even while harboring a vile racist in his own camp.

March 20, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  14. Sd

Yes, it smells like the republicans are at it again. They did it to Bill Clinton.
    Some of you guys are so quick to blame Hillary. Sure blame her for everything being reported about your savior. Pathetic

Women not for obama

March 20, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  15. jan

By the way, why is Senator Obama the only person in the USA who is allowed to coin the wordAfrican-American and not get sliced to ribbons by the liberal media and his supporters? He is given free reign to vent about race in the US and is actually fawned over while everyone else is threatened if they so much as mention the word.

March 20, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  16. Rob

Wow they will stop at nothng to try and end this man's career.."ide curisoty" who are they trying to fool they were fishing for dirt point blank and period.. heads will roll about this you can believe that.

March 20, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  17. Dawn Matthews

This breach is ridiculous & obviously it is a conspiracy to not have been made public when it first happened in January. If this breach in any way has ties to Clinton, then I no longer support her in way, form or fashion. I was once uncertain who I would support, Obama or Clinton. But now my choice is clear. I think Clinton is desperate and who stoop to any level to accomplish her goal. Hang in there Barack Obama! Many, many, Pennsylvanians support you....AND I AM ONE OF THEM!!!!

March 20, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  18. VIVIAN

I bet the Clintons did it!

March 20, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  19. @,Orlando,Fl

So what?

March 20, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  20. Jim, CT

It is very unfortunate that people talk without knowing what they are talking about and why they are talking. They are ill-informed, naive, and racist. Gerry Ferraro is very racist and bitter based on her recent comments. Bye, racist Ferraro.

March 20, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  21. Christian, Tampa FL

That is very bad. We don't need any kind of government meddling in our democratic process. I wonder if we will see any other indications that the Bush administration will not relinquish power quietly or easily.

March 20, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  22. Sara

I smell Clinton written all over this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 20, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  23. rusty

Given the fact that Obama has been getting smeared all over the place these past 5-10 days, for someting he didn't even say, this doesn't surprise me. I smell a rat on this one, and it SHOULD be investigated. The pity is, this media has been more than willing to rip in to Obama lately. Are they going to somehow say that this snooping was HIS fault too?

March 20, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  24. Zack

To clarify for Mike:

Obama is leading in the popular vote, as well as pledged delegates. So why would he get out of the race?

March 20, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  25. Evelyn Mills

Considering he is running for the most powerful office on earth,there is little really known about him.I see nothing wrong with the American voters knowing more about him.Perhaps if we knew more about our elected officials,we would not vote for them.

March 20, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |