March 21st, 2008

Martin: Full story behind Wright's 9/11 sermon

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright.
The Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

From CNN Contributor Roland Martin

As this whole sordid episode regarding the sermons of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright has played out over the last week, I wanted to understand what he ACTUALLY said in this speech. I’ve been saying all week on CNN that context is important, and I just wanted to know what the heck is going on.

I have now actually listened to the sermon Rev. Wright gave after September 11 titled, “The Day of Jerusalem’s Fall.” It was delivered on Sept. 16, 2001.

Read full post on AC360 Blog

Filed under: Roland Martin
  1. Max

Qaddafi deserved it, so did Japan in 1945 and many other of Wright's purported "victims." If he hates the US so much, he (and anyone who excuses, rationalizes or secretly condones his racism and anti-Americanism should move. I hear Iran is open.

March 21, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  2. raj

There seems no way a minority – african -american or other would ever get elected as president in our country

March 21, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. Floridian

Shouldn't CNN, and other news outlets, reported that the minister was actually quoting someone else about America's chickens coming home to roost from the very start?! CNN and MSM, there is no excuse for the shoddy news coverage we've gotten up to this point. Thankfully SOMEONE bothered to take the time to uncover the truth, but now it may be too little too late, and MSM will have a lot to answer for if the dems lose the presidency in Nov. because of MSM's pathetic coverage of the Wright matter.

March 21, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. Jim

After viewing your panel of experts report following Obama's pastor spin speech, one is led to believe Obama's speech was the greatest speech on race since MLK's "I have a Dream" speech.

My question for CNN is

When can we expect the official announcement of CNN's endorsement of Barack Obama for President of the United States?

March 21, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  5. Enrique

To "Go get a day job"

You are the target audience for this story. They want you to get fired up. They want you to react. Please, do yourself a favor and read the article again. Count to 10 and then let's see what you think. Be objective.

The media is spoon feeding you this stuff so that you get upset. Make your own decisions. Stand your ground.

March 21, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. JOHNNY

Freedom of Speech means FREEDOM OF SPEECH !!!!!
    Stop trying to justify your TRUE reason(s) for not (ever) wanting
    to vote for Obama for President of the U.S. Those who are now using the Jeremiah Wright sermons as "justification" that he should not be elected President – REALLY had no plans of voting for him in the first place. GET OVER IT !!!! Its your right to vote for anyone you want.
    But STOP trying to hide your OWN deep-rooted feelings against Obama. Feelings of distrust that were REALLY there LONG before the Jeremiah Wright sermons. GO OBAMA !!!!!

March 21, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. terris

I think it is very sad what some news media are doing. Over & Over again they keep rehearsing this issue with Obama & his pastor. People are losing their homes & people are losing their jobs. Our dollar has decreased it value and so on. Our sons, daughters, husbands, fathers & family members are dying in a war that seems to have no resolution or near end. Yes I am a NEW generation of my ancestors who suffered slavery. I have friends of every race, color & creed & we all say things that can be taken out of context. But most important is that we respect each other for where we are NOW! ... All of us have sensitive experiences or issues in our lives that can be very challenging to overcome. Who am I to judge that individual or group of persons for saying what their experiences are or has been? What we should be focusing on is making a difference by rising above our past & starting new. WE are ALL AMERICANS & IF SOMEONE HURTS ONE OF US THEY HURT US ALL THAT IS THE BIGGER PICTURE (NOT RACE)! To Obama you have made your statement you have answered our questions in its entirety. Stop trying to explain what you have already explained. Finally to those in the news media that continues to distort this issue & every word that comes out of Obama's mouth......I say "SHAME ON U"... & I challenged all of us to get back to the real issue... one of which is making America safe Now & for our FUTURE generations to come. May God Bless America.

March 21, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  8. Sherry

Who's making excuses. Tell me honestly, have you ever made disparaging comments amongst your family or friends? Be honest!

March 21, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. Alex k

Keep up the spin – what a ridiculous excuse for a journalist.

I'm a true Independent and if Obama wins I will not vote for him, and that's non-negotiable – I will 100% vote McCain over Obama. I don't trust him is the bottom line, I think he's hiding something and I don't like the way he injected race into the run for the presidency. So if the Democrats want even a chance at my vote in November (and that of my husband's) the Democrats need Clinton as the nominee. And guess what Obama people? My Independent counterparts feel the same way.

March 21, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  10. J. Forbes, Texas Independent

O false Obama. Thou hast deceived America. Thou art no change. Thou doth not bring hope.

March 21, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. Jamaal Kansas City Kansas

cnn please post my comments: This thing with wright is over Barack has denounced the comments of his pastor it is time to focus on issues. Barack Obama is still going to win the nomination and the general election.

March 21, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  12. Jacob

You have made the damage already . ( with uneducated voters ),
    Thanks for bringing up the truth .

March 21, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  13. Some people just don't get it

Two things: 1)Um, Martin does have a day job... just about every time I turn on CNN I see his face... he's a respected journalist. Who th f are you? and 2) Jason, are you serious?

March 21, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |