March 21st, 2008

Obama calls for investigation into passport file snooping

Obama is calling for a congressional investigation.
Obama is calling for a congressional investigation.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama Friday called for an investigation into how the security of the passport files of the three remaining presidential candidates was breached.

The State Department admitted Friday that the passport files of Obama, Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. John McCain had been accessed without authorization.

"One of the things that the American people count on in their interactions with any level of government is that if they have to disclose personal information that it stay personal and stay private," Obama said in Portland, Oregon.

"And when you have not just one but a series of attempts to tap into people's personal records, that's a problem not just for me, but for how our government is functioning," he said.

Obama said he expected "a full and thorough investigation" by the administration done in conjunction with congressional oversight committees.

The State Department's inspector general has already started an investigation, department officials said.

Attorney General Michael Mukasey said the Justice Department had not launched an investigation and did not expect to unless it was asked by the inspector general.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Carol

The beauty of America is freedom of speech and the right of all citizens to vote. My concern is that many americans do not fully understand the complete history of this country the ugly and beautiful aspects. Support any candidate you want, but please do it based on all the facts. Come to a conclusion based on critical thinking, not bias, hate or anger.

There is a lot of information out there, biographies, documentaries etc. that would shed some light on the issues and where we are today. The media is not doing a very good job showing soundbites and giving biased opinions.

C-Span shows entire events, not just clips like Fox, CNN etc. Voting records of the candidates can be found on the internet at the government website,Thomas. All this research has taken me a lot of time, but the future of my children and this country is worth it. I urge all voters to conduct their own research of the facts. Even if you don't have the resources, books, computers with internet access, and films are available at most public libraries.

March 21, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  2. Dipo, Houston Texas

What has Obama got to hide?

March 21, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. Jay

He is just really trying hard to keep his name in the press, and not about his 20 years with the racist!! SAME ON YOU OBAMA!!

March 21, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  4. California Voter

Good grief! You would already think he is "commander in chief" - expects a full and thorough investigation –

March 21, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. Ifeanyi Azubike Houston Texas

I will go ahead and say that it is only proper that we know what the spies were after and who they work for, and not that you will either read or post it.

March 21, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  6. James

Full investigation is needed.

March 21, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  7. The truth shall set you free!

GOOD GOOD GOOD!

March 21, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  8. BAKERSFIELD

transperancy

March 21, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. The truth shall set you free!

Where are all the Obama haters now? I guess when your're wrong about Wright you don't have much to say...../Right?

March 21, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. jayneel

Did he order an investigation on pastor Wright too? CNN ,you showed Richardson endorsement for an hour?How come you didn't show the black panther endorsement?OH that will heart your candidate,right?

March 21, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. HAM

I imagine those guys were snooping cause someone from CNN offered them money for a scoop!

Kidding... just some Friday humor...

Happy Easter

March 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  12. helen

I must admit, at this point I am so tired of this election. Since Obama seems to make everyone in America nervous, He should withdraw so Mcain can beat Hillary Clinton. If she willing to fight dirty for the nomination that is not hers, than she should be the nominee. I am just drained.

March 21, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. Boston

I am surprised that Obama hasn't blamed Hillary for this. I am sure someone in his so called "honest" camp will before the day is out.

I think there should be a thorough investigation into Obama and his Pastor's way of thinking.

March 21, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  14. Bill Darcey

Just because the Bush administration says these were the few flaws ;

with a record like their's how can you believe them ? They get to look

at everything anyway . There could be 3 thousand times this has

happened , not the 3 they say .

March 21, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  15. Mrs. Parker

Obama has made me nervous. It is sad, because I watched my husbands face drop when he heard the news about Wright and just how close he is to Obama's family. I have been leaning towards Hillary for a while but my husband was leaning towards Obama. It is like the spell has broken and he sees Obama for what he is. More of the same just more Radical

March 21, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  16. Mary

I'm not sure I understand why this breach of privacy was allowed to happen on 3 separate occasions...Surely after the first time safeguards/dismissals should have happened...Just how private IS private information in this state department?

March 21, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. CP

Helen

Speak for yourself. Obama doesn't make me nervous...All these holier than thou bloggers do.

March 21, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  18. Anna , Texas

I'm tired of the men blaming Hillary for Bill's infedility. You can not blame her for that. You have to look at how she handled it which is what she had control over. You men writing those comments have probably been unfaithful to your wives because I don't understand how his infedility has anything to do it.

March 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  19. Travis

We the people don't have the right to know where our senators and other high level officials are or have been. If someone knows where another is with info that isn't public the people that are in charge of protecting them (secrete service) are at a huge disadvantage. Think really hard about that one and you’ll see where I’m going with this. OK I’ll make it simple think about the Kennedy’s.

March 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  20. sozzi

Helen,

You need help....

March 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Grif

I must be having a Nightmare, Every morning for the past 3 Months I've been waking up to this....

Has the World gone Crazy!!!!!!!!

March 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. Sherry

Let's do a full and thorough investigation of you obviously unintelligent and mis-informed people - lets see what YOU have to hide!

March 21, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  23. For Hillary 08

What's he got to hide? And boy am I sick of looking at him in the news. Does he get sad when people pay attention to someone or something other thatn him? He is such a drama seeker and couldn't handle if anyone says bad things about him.

Will this election ever end.

March 21, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  24. Paris

CNN stop being bias.

March 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  25. Judgment is Lacking....

We want to hear about the Black Panther sponsor...hmmmmm another bad judgement day in the day and life of Mr Obama.

March 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |