March 21st, 2008

Obama calls for investigation into passport file snooping

Obama is calling for a congressional investigation.
Obama is calling for a congressional investigation.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama Friday called for an investigation into how the security of the passport files of the three remaining presidential candidates was breached.

The State Department admitted Friday that the passport files of Obama, Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. John McCain had been accessed without authorization.

"One of the things that the American people count on in their interactions with any level of government is that if they have to disclose personal information that it stay personal and stay private," Obama said in Portland, Oregon.

"And when you have not just one but a series of attempts to tap into people's personal records, that's a problem not just for me, but for how our government is functioning," he said.

Obama said he expected "a full and thorough investigation" by the administration done in conjunction with congressional oversight committees.

The State Department's inspector general has already started an investigation, department officials said.

Attorney General Michael Mukasey said the Justice Department had not launched an investigation and did not expect to unless it was asked by the inspector general.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. anon

If Obama is the democratic nominee, this is the first time in my adult life that I will be voting a republican for president.

March 21, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  2. Mike Birmingham, AL

I don't blame him – especially since the exact same thing happened to Bill Clinton and Ross Perot by the first Bush administration when they were running for president.

Like father, like son.

March 21, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  3. Elle

Senator Hillary Clinton for President!

Obama, with words and promises, is not authentic. He uses others words and cannot even follow them with his positive actions. He own actions look desperate and angry.

March 21, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. Jim Wade, IA

I love all the people who think CNN is biased towards Obama. You do realize people commonly refer to CNN as the Clinton News Network right? Or did you only start following politics when your state had a primary?

March 21, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Judgment is Lacking....

CNN when are you going to change the National Polls. Hillary is leading and you have not updated your website... Also when Obama's superdelegate count changes you let us all know, but when Clinton's does and it has been added by 4 more, you tell us nothing. WHY?
    CNN – Reporting at it's best.

March 21, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. Mizan

Dear Obama camp, please stop negative campaign. Enough is enough!

March 21, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. Dinesh

Good, this is important not for the candidate, but for security itself, i don't feel very secure knowing that people in politics are getting their files hacked into, I feel even less secure knowing that my personal files might be getting hacked into, and are probably less protected than senator obama's

March 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. Matt

Yawn, Ms. Rice has already ordered an investigation. NOT news worthy.

March 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. Praetorian, Fort Myers

I hate to steal your thunder Mr. Obama...but Secretary of State Rice has already intiated an investigation–as well as corrective measures and disciplinary measures to ensure it doesn't happen again under her watch.

Too late again–but great rhetorical sound bite.

March 21, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  10. ben

Jay March 21st, 2008 3:48 pm ET

He is just really trying hard to keep his name in the press, and not about his 20 years with the racist!! SAME ON YOU OBAMA!!

Pu-leeze. Hillary supporters are obviously trying to jab at Obama for anything. Talk about desperation.

And following you're lead: SAME on you Hillary!

PS I know this won't get posted, but oh well.

March 21, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  11. Time 4 Action

Wy Speak for yourself Obama does not make me nervous, he makes me HOPE. He makes you nervous Helen? Why?

Obama 08

March 21, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  12. Bakersfield Mom

If HRC is the democratic nominee, this is the first time I'll be voting as a republican.

I supported her in the beginning because I thought she was authentic and a women of integrity.

I no longer subscribe to this form of thinking. One Clinton in the White House is enough.

March 21, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  13. Cindy

Obama doesn't make me nervous. He makes me think. We need to learn to think again, and not just react to soundbites fed to us by shock jocks and partisan news networks.

March 21, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. JT

Yeah, Time 4 Action, Obama makes me HOPE too. I HOPE someone else wins the election. The problem is, who to support? Time to choose the lesser of 2 evils. Sigh.

March 21, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  15. Vote Democratic

No matter who you like or dislike, who ever it may be Hillary or Obama... WE must Stand Together!!! and Vote Democratic

I am a Obama supporter, but if Hillary is the pick I will do what's right for the nation and vote for her.

I have a daughter and I do not want her to grow up with another Bush.

We need to start thinking and stop letting CNN divide us. If I have to post this in every blog, every comment box to get my message out there– then I will ....

STOP HATING ON EACH OTHER- AND THINK!!! Vote Democratic NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

March 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Peggs

Weirdly, on March 12th the Clinton camp was claiming Obama had "never been to Latin America".

How would they know that for certain? How can you prove a negative?

Well, perhaps now we know!

March 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. Marjorie

Caught Ya! Thou shalt not snoop! Punishment to the full extent for those who snoop.
    OBAMA '08 – '16!!!!!

March 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  18. R

You dumb sheep, it's not about having something to hide. We have a right to privacy for the sake of privacy itself, it's what our founding fathers like George Washington spent their lives fighting for.

This is sickening that any American is not outraged by this breach in the privacy of fellow citizens by their government. This is not an Obama story, it's a story about another stain on the American way of life and liberty by the Bush administration that craps all over the ideals and freedoms that so many fought and died for.

March 21, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  19. Pat Riot

You people are acting like he just stood up for someone else's right to privacy. This is the guy that voted for the Patriot Act. The only time he has taken any action towards our freedom from government is when his own privacy is on the line. Disgusting...opportunism at its best. You people don't know what you want. You cheer him on when he talks about socialism and then you cheer him on when he talks about the right to privacy. Make up your mind because you can't have both.

March 21, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  20. hilda

Governor Bill Richardson endorsed Obama. It seems obvious to me he sold out to the highest bidder. I'm glad he's no longer running for office. We've seen enough crooked politicians selling out for all the wrong reasons.

March 21, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  21. catmom

What is the problem? This information or any information about Mr. Obama should be fair game. As fair game as every piece of information Obama , his campaign and his fans feel Mrs. Clinton should provide. What are we always told, If you have nothing to hide, what is the problem?

I think Obama's schedule for the past 10 years should be made available. So should his tax records. What is good for Mrs. Clinton is good for Mr. Obama.

March 21, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  22. Go Hillary!!!

Duhhh! That sounds like a sound plan. Too bad I could have never figured that out myself.

March 21, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  23. Sherry

If you want to vote Republican, be my guest! You will continue to have corporations send jobs overseas; your price of gas will continue to rise; and you will continue to pay more for food. So, go right ahead and endorse the Republicans - obviously you are a glutton for punishment and want "more of the same." We Democrats only want those who are intelligent, informed and truly committed to the party, and not some fair-weathered what-ever-you-call-yourselves.

March 21, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  24. Gil - California

Something I find very amusing is that there are still people saying "I was on the fence between X and Y and now I'm going to vote for McCain". Excuse me, but I don't believe you. If you haven't made up your mind by now I suspect you never will.

I really do not expect there is any chance that a democrat will win in November no matter who. I fully blame Hillary for the loss, and I say she has the blood of our military men and women on her hands, and any more that die when McCain keeps us in his 100 year war.

March 21, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  25. Rick in Oregon

Obama, release your tax records for the last 20 years. Release your public meeting schedule and then release your information on your dealings with Rezko. What are you hiding?

March 21, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |