March 21st, 2008

Poll of polls: Obama's lead narrows after tough week

The Wright controversy had an impact on Obama's poll numbers last week.
The Wright controversy had an impact on Obama's poll numbers last week.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - After tapes of inflammatory statements made by Sen. Barack Obama's pastor came out last weekend, it appears to have had some negative impact on the Illinois senator.

Nationally, Obama's lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton narrowed in a poll of polls - which included CBS News, USA Today and Gallup.

The polls, taken between March 14-18, show Obama with 49 percent to Clinton's 43 percent.

"I don't think there is any doubt that the [Rev.] Jeremiah Wright controversy played a role in the 10-point drop in his favorable ratings," said pollster Terry Madonna.

Full story

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

1. Sick of Democrats!

I hate the media!
    I hate Obama! The man is a fake and I knew if from the beginning.

This party is way too divided! I will vote Clinton even if it is a WRITE IN. The Democrats do not deserve my VOTE!

March 23, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  2. The World for Obama

Obama 4-ever. The Wright thing is over. Nice try. Not this time. This is bigger than controversy. The world needs an Obama.

March 23, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. lisa

Americans are so dumb, they are voting for Barack when he is clearly an Anti American. His wife told you, his pastor told you, and he said something about typical white person, dumb. Now I see why George Bush is the President, he's a representation of his people.

March 23, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  4. Dude

Like most of the postings here, I agree that Obama can withstand this attack and prevail. He has shown the leadership quality needed to bring America back, after eight dreadful years of the bush administration.

March 23, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  5. jujub

When is CNN going to stop this nonsense?

Why don't you post all of Reverend Wright's sermons so that the idiots that listen to 30 second soundbites that ignore the entire scope and intent of his sermons can apologize to Barack Obama?

March 23, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  6. Danny

The the only polls that matter now are in the final primary states...the fact is Senator Clinton cannot catch up. If the superdelegates vote for her, she's doomed. Can you imagine the outrage of Democrats who's candidate have an election stolen out from under them by their own party? They'll hate Senator Clinton as much as they hated President Bush for his beating Senator Kerry. It's time to fold the cards.

March 23, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  7. almost 40 year old

It is a shame that all this did not come out before Super Tuesday! Obama would be dead and buried. Now loyal democrats like myself will have to stay home during the general election because there is no way I will ever be proud that Obama is the nominee nor will I support him for President. In fact I am so angry that someone like this is not made to drop out of the race, that I may vote for McCain just to spite Obama and the idiots who support this un-American, racist whining, no substance for President fool!

March 23, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  8. Andy Bergmann

CNN can not be trusted any more.

March 23, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  9. Jessie

Having Wright as his spiritual advisor for 20 years says something about Obama's character. What type of people would he surround himself with as President? He admitted he knew this man was spouting hateful things but kept him on the team as an advisor until the media reported it and he was forced to remove him.

March 23, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  10. mt

I think most of these polls are underestimating how mad middle income white folks are at Obama's ubsurdity. He is a total fraud and he is going to turn loyal democrats into Republicans or at least independents.

I will never let an un American man like Obama be helped into the White House with my vote!

Hillary all the way!

March 23, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  11. maha

The reason the speech helped Obama come somewhat out of this mess is the same reason he may be the nominee. People are idiots, they have believed his lies.

NOBAMA is RIGHT!!!!!

Go Hillary!

March 23, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  12. given

Obama is done. Anyone who votes for him from this point on gets what they deserve. Clinton would never get away with saying they were a typical black person. If Obama gets the nomination 100 percent of the country will vote for McCain. Obama has hurt the dems chances beyond prepare. Nothing would make me happier to see Breaking News......OBAMA OUT

March 23, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  13. smart grrl in ls mo

Democrats (superdelegates or not) are NOT going to nominate Obama thereby handing the Presidency to McCain. Obama is not as important as regaining the office.

March 23, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  14. mudhens75

To Mrs. Obama, I am proud to be an American and always have been, how can anyone support someone who is still a member of a church which preaches hate, while being married to somone who until recently wasn't proud to be an American

March 23, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  15. D.

I's so tired of Obma!

Have you ever had someone in your life, who's always bragging good things but never has done any of them? That's Obama to me. Always words, never actions, or blame his own wrong doings on others!

So tired of Obama!

March 23, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  16. Tameka

I wish CNN would stay true to its brand and make a huge deal of all media outlets for taking Rev. Wright's words out of context.

I saw a larger clip of Wright's sermon that stated "America's chickens are coming home to roost."

Do something?

March 23, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  17. cross ambrose

what journalism is this? obama is gaining after a bad week or cnn is pushing clinton agenda!

March 23, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  18. Charlene

Obama's favorable rating has dropped because the public finally has a chance to gauge his character...not based on his words but based on his past actions. In this case, non-action.

March 23, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  19. Sam

Obama is not the best candidate for President of the U.S. – has nothing to do with his skin color, but with his experience (or lack of). Get real America!

March 23, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  20. Anonymous

If you want the more inexperienced candidate, vote Obama.

If you want the more

March 23, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  21. Chris, Middletown, CT

Anyone heard the whole tape....in context....even dopey HRC supporters would want the whole truth....(wait...what was I thinking...they seem to like being lied to..they are voting for it)

March 23, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  22. Dolly Weaver

Hey, if you listen to something for 20 years, you agree with it. His wife showed that with her first time proud to be and american comment. If he were a white politician and his minister was spouting this kind of comments about african-americans, we can imagine what would happen. Once again americans prove how completely stupid they are.

March 23, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  23. Darla Jean

Beneath the image is a man who wanted his moment in the sun too soon. Obama should have waited and put in some real time in the Senate, instead of racking up the 6th worst attendance record there in only three years. But, above all, he's a CAMPAIGNER. There is little evidence to show he can do the WORK required.

March 23, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  24. Lewis

It is getting to the point in this campaing where Senator Edwards would have been a saving grace for this country...This campaing is becoming frustrating, and full of too much controversy. I really wish I could be supporting Edwards in the upcoming general election.

March 23, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. L X

The force of speech.

I didn't listen to Obama's speech on race, but I guess it sounds great due to some positive feedback here. My point is not about the content of speech. It is about the force of speech. An excellent speech can change many peoples' view on something.

However, how many "speeches" Wright has delivered to people who go to the church. Do you think Wright's speeches have nothing impacting on those people in the church?

March 23, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |