March 21st, 2008

Poll of polls: Obama's lead narrows after tough week

The Wright controversy had an impact on Obama's poll numbers last week.
The Wright controversy had an impact on Obama's poll numbers last week.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - After tapes of inflammatory statements made by Sen. Barack Obama's pastor came out last weekend, it appears to have had some negative impact on the Illinois senator.

Nationally, Obama's lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton narrowed in a poll of polls - which included CBS News, USA Today and Gallup.

The polls, taken between March 14-18, show Obama with 49 percent to Clinton's 43 percent.

"I don't think there is any doubt that the [Rev.] Jeremiah Wright controversy played a role in the 10-point drop in his favorable ratings," said pollster Terry Madonna.

Full story

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

1. TRECIA

I KNOW HOW EVERYONE IS MAD OVER THE OF REV.J WRIGHT,HOWEVER I REALLY FEEL WE NEED TO MOVE ON FROM THIS ISSUE IT'S DRAGED ON TOO MUCH ,WE ALL KNOW THE WORDS WAS NOT NICE WORDS BUT I BET WE ALL AT SOMETIME OR ANOTHER HEARD A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER SAY A WORD ABOUT THE OTHER RACE TO MAKE YOU CHRING ,SEN.OBAMA IS VERY REAL AND TRUTHFULL ,AMERICA THEY WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

March 23, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. brian

The press should report the analysis and facts such as in Texas primary Hillary won more than a million voters yet Obama got more delegates. As Bill Clinton had pointed out, if Democratic primaries worked like GoP then Hillary had already won the nominee. Press is always painting rosy pictures of Illonois senator and try to negate Hillary's image and potential always. No wonder she has to trust on voters. Hillary will win as Americans are not naive.

March 23, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  3. Africans for Hillary

Hillary all the way.. Obama is so not ready for the job..

March 23, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. Sue

I could care less about speech. Obama has his head in the clouds and what his pastor said is WRONG!!! I would never stay in an environment where someone I looked up to as a spiritual advisor spoke such words. We have alot to find out about Obama and he says whatever it takes to appease people but never seems to address the real issues!!! Hillary 08 or no vote!

March 23, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  5. Waiting for our turn in Indy

I am Soooooo tired of hearing about this...and I'm a 'Hillraiser'...
    ....seems like everone has dropped this except for the media......sad.

March 23, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  6. Maryzep

Polls will move up and down all depending of what is happening on the arena. Pa-ssports, pa-triotism, pa-stors etc.. Now just about anything could happen depending on what the media wants.

March 23, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. Michael Nigro

As the cliche goes, "it aint over till the fat lady sings." Well that's the way it is with Hillary. Up here in North east PA, there is little question that she will win PA and go on to win most of the remaining primary states. We wonder what all the pundits will say, when she raps up this nomination? Come on guys experience dosn't count, give us a break. Would your news station hire anyone for an important job that had little or no resume, We thin not. Barack Obma, is a man who one day could and probably should be president, but fill up that resume, then get serious about the most important and influential job in the world, president of the US.

March 23, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  8. Brian

One has to wonder why this is an issue. Could it be because the media and Clintonites wont drop it? The Clinton New Network has always been in their pocket.

March 23, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  9. William - North Carolina

Just wondering how much longer you (CNN) are going to keep this picture of Obama and Rev. Wright in front of us. You just can't let it go...can you?

March 23, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  10. Mary

interesting if you look at the "new in the ticker" at this time Obama's name is mentioned 7 times and Clinton's only 2 times (both in negative light). As a liberal democrat, I have been a fan of CNN for year, but I never thought I would hear myself say that Fox news is fair and balanced. It's so obvious that CNN adores Obama.

P.S. I've posted numerous times and have yet to get a comment posted. Not sure why I keep trying. Perhaps it's my "hope" that CNN will start to cover things fairly. Every time they start to take a tougher look at Obama, they back off 3 steps and then report anything they can that puts BO in a positive light.

March 23, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. MARION

I hope Hillary ends up being our next president , at least there is no doubt in our minds that she will help all people no matter what there race or religion happens to be.

I don't believe Mr. Obama is ll he claims to be , I don't believe his stories about not hearing any anti American speeches while he was in church for twenty years. In my opinion he will say anything to get the nomination , I really don't believe he is being truthful . I do believe that he heard more than he is saying and that a lot of what he heard sunk in and he believes a lot of it. As the same goes for his wife after hearing what she said about being proud of america for the first time in her life. Well I am proud of america every time I wake up a free man., I am a disabled Vietnam vet and I LOVE THIS COUNTRY AND WILL BACK HILLARY CLINTON ALL THE WAY TO THE END WIN OR LOOSE.

Sincerly
    Marion J. Price

March 23, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. d phillips

How come you cnn is giving obama a hand in winning the primarys and not doing a better job of being fair to both people, it seem to me 90% of of your story go for obama. ! do the DNC think there wont be a high price to be paid for fl, mi. I will vote for the rep for the first time in 16yrs if no revote is held and the people have there vote.

March 23, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  13. Jim P

Ya think so, do ya CNN? If it weren't for your damage control for this useless hack he would be long gone. The coming of Obama is a disaster for this country.

March 23, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  14. Edgar

Rev. Wright controversry really showed us who Barak really is. Did the so call great speach help – in my view no because he only gave it because of Wright controversy.

Barak would get my vote if only he really shows a great love for our great Nation.

March 23, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  15. Gary In CT

And once again the media finds another way to get a picture of Obama and Wright into a story. Kind of pathetic, isn't it.

March 23, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. barry

senator obama and the democrats have lost my vote. John McCain
    will get my vote

March 23, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  17. angelina

I know the left and the right is trying to destroy Sen.Obama but i believe the lord will protect Sen.Obama...im praying for you Senator.

March 23, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  18. David

voting for mccain if obama is the nominee

March 23, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  19. Alexandra

Shame on you CNN for trying to put a negative spin to this good news. Your title should read:
    Obama reclaims lead on National polls, despite Wright controversy"
    You are not as objective as MSNBC.

March 23, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  20. Evens

Obviously the views, sentiments, and political interests of Dr. Jeremiah Wright toward America are not a reflection upon those of Senator Obama's. Therefore, we, as a nation, need to challenge ourselves and move beyond race, gender and any other matters that will not provide us good health care, a sound education for our children and the great reputation of our country abroad like Obama often reminds us all of.

March 23, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  21. cutie079

this hold thing about race has hit every home in the world, this is a good thing because, there is not one house in this world where people has or not agree one thing or another, ur wife,husband.children or other friends or family, they have thier there opinions or believe that not up to ur believes, so u gone to disown them, i do not think so,so think about this and u will so, their are alot of people, that is not the same as u.

March 23, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  22. THANKS CNN!!

At first I thought you all HATED Obama because it seem like every day you were reporting something on him. Until I realize this must be LOVE.... I notice you have only kept the spotlight on him, rather it's good or bad... bad press is better than no press.

It's either McCain or Obama that you have a report on and I notice once again that Hillary is forgotten. It seem as if she is not in the race, so quiet. That you are really focusing on the first runners.... So thanks, believe it or not you are only helping him.

Obama/Edwards08

March 23, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. Mark

I think Bill is intectually corrupted and Hillary is intellectually bankcrupt

March 23, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  24. Realistic

Too little, too late for Hillary because of the math. Hillary has basically lost and is now playing the role of Ron Huckabee, i.e., hoping for something really bad to happen to Obama before the convention and/or running for 2012. The problem is that Hillary is dividing the Democratic party in the interim and lessening the chances of beating McCain.

But this is just one week, and a week that didn't make any difference because there was no voting, so it was a good week to air any dirty laundry and get it out in the open.

March 23, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  25. Let's get it right

Continuing to use the picture of Obama and Wright (5 days as a "banner headline" and now linked to this story) shows CNN's bias. For gosh sakes...there are other pictures our there. Show some balance and take the picture off your website....

March 23, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |