March 21st, 2008

Poll of polls: Obama's lead narrows after tough week

The Wright controversy had an impact on Obama's poll numbers last week.
The Wright controversy had an impact on Obama's poll numbers last week.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - After tapes of inflammatory statements made by Sen. Barack Obama's pastor came out last weekend, it appears to have had some negative impact on the Illinois senator.

Nationally, Obama's lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton narrowed in a poll of polls - which included CBS News, USA Today and Gallup.

The polls, taken between March 14-18, show Obama with 49 percent to Clinton's 43 percent.

"I don't think there is any doubt that the [Rev.] Jeremiah Wright controversy played a role in the 10-point drop in his favorable ratings," said pollster Terry Madonna.

Full story

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

1. A Proud and Free American

American wake up and stop allowing fear to control you.

George Bush used fear to win the presidency and we are much worse off for it. Don't allow the GOP to spread fear of race, color, or creed in this election.

The stakes are too high and we need positive change in Washington that is reflective of all America. Obama represents this change and TOGETHER

March 23, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. AJ

I have never sat in a church and heard a pastor say anything hateful about whites nor america. I wouldn't sit in a church for 20 years knowing that this pastor was a racist. To me anyone sitting in a church with a man preaching words of hate must agree with him. If anything thinks Obama will beat this they are sadly mistaken. It is so sad that in this great country of ours that this man hasn't been kicked out of the running. He shouldn't be in the senate and he shouldn't be running for president. If it was a white guy – need I say more!

March 23, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  3. Hilton

Is Obama the quality of person that you want to trust with your pension, health insurance and your children's future? Would you entrust your life savings to a shoemaker?

If he is so sure he's peddling what everybody wants then why is he preventing the re-votes?

Hillary has the experience – go Hillary!!!!

March 23, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. John, Pennsylvania

Wake up people and go listen to the full speech of Rev. Wright. Take a step back from what has been tatooed in your brain for many years and look at the overall picture. Then go back to listen at Obama's speech. Put aside all the negative attack that have been going on on both sides. Look at what America needs in America and internationally. Think about America's image. I agree image should not be the only criteria but it is important these days.

America has a chance to elect a unique leader and should not be stopped by what the media is trying to do. Hillary would be good too but not great like OBAMA!!!

March 23, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. FrankSmith

I knew that CNN would NOT post my comments; they are at the "intellectual level."

March 23, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. jwilliams

Think long and hard before you vote for someone that will listen or even uphold someone that speaks of our great country like Wright has. If you had two men on the street and you heard one on the street say such things about Our Country would like it !! and you wouldn't wont the person that was there with him that was listening and stood along side of him when he was saying such thing and making excuses leading your Country !!!!remember we are putting this person in charge of every part of Our country I know as for my self If Someone I knew had sat and listen to such garbage of remarks for 20 years I don't wont then making decisions for me and my Country.

March 23, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. jenny

When are you going to take that picture down? The story is over now.

March 23, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. bill pike

if we are responsible for our minister, our rabbi, or our priest we are all in trouble. ALL who speak in public make mistakes but even jack kemp said obama is not responsible for what somene else says. If you will look at some of King's sermons you will find close to the same thing. 50 years from now Obama's talk on race will be in all the schools.

March 23, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  9. Tyshunn

new Gallup poll has Obama ahead by 3. i think some of you need to do some research.

March 23, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. Typical White Person

At first I thought Obama would be a decent candidate, but was premature in his bid for the highest office in the US. Now I think the man is far more toxic, a far bigger liar, and far more divisive than any political figure we've had in the past 20 years. I'm a die hard liberal, but I'd not only vote for McCain, I'd donate money and work for his campaign if it meant keeping Obama out of office.

March 23, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  11. FrankSmith

I actually thought that we were done with any comments related to this issue. How can we resolve the economic health of this nation? When do we plan to end the war and bring our folks home? When do we restore morality and intergrity to the White House and government? Are all these not more important and even bigger than Dr/pastor and retired Mr. Wright?

March 23, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  12. Lore

It is time to move on from the Rev Jermiah debacle. No one can control what comes out of someone else's mouth. Not even our preachers. Time to focus on the entire speech that Barack did on the race issue and not bits and pieces. Let us focus on the issues and move on to more important issues. You the media are really dragging this thing on and on.

March 23, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. FW

He was actually down 7 points at the begining of the week. He has bounced back after the speech.
    Hillary's supporters are more than welcome to live in the "never never land"!

March 23, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. PA Voter

Obama has to do nothing but sit and wait Billy boy is out speaking Hillary again and its starting to hurt her again. If Hillary wants any chance at winning she better tie him up in a closet somewhere.

March 23, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. Julie

For everyone who says that Hillary should get out now, that's thoroughly ridiculous. It isn't like she is losing miserably or anything. She's getting very decent numbers. She has earned a lot of delegates and votes. There's no reason for her to get out. There's still a chance, no matter how slim it is. Besides, mathematical impossibilities didn't convince Mike Huckabee to get out.

March 23, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. Reggie from Georgia

I think the media including and especially CNN has blown the pastor Wright issue way out of proportion. When it comes on television I just turn the channel. Barack Obama has already denounced pastor Wright's statements. Why does CNN keep airing it?

Hillary is over anyway even is she does win all of the democratic primaries remaining, she has to win by a margin of 62%.

Just face it Sen. Barack Obama will win the Democratic nomination and will go on to face Sen. John McCain in the general election in November.

March 23, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. WISW

the whole story is getting real boring cafferty! please you guys on cnn should come up with something much more interesting. i have almost stop watching cnn that i was addicted to initially.

March 23, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  18. Ian

I am glad that Obama has to deal with the Wright and other difficult issues that will come up so that America can see what kind of person he is. So far, he has shown leadership and judgment. Let's see what the polls are like in a week's time.

March 23, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. Pepou62

The fact of the matter is that Hillary C. has lost the nomination. Period. CNN and other media can spin it the way they like, Obama will win.
    I would be more interested in reading about McCain's numerous gaffes on foreign policy (even with the help of his Sancho Pança Lieberman, the great ex-democrat). Now that's news !

March 23, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  20. PA Voter

I was leaning Obama then the Wright issue made me think maybe he is not the best choice. Then Bill had to go shoot his mouth off again this weekend. That has me now leaning back to Obama its kind of voting for the less evil now. Hope April 22nd comes quick so I can cast my vote and wait to see who wins this thing.

March 23, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. FactCheck

Vince Foster, Jim MacDougal, her continuing lies about her roles in Ireland and Bosnia, about her record on NAFTA (both of which are now publicly available records) and you supporters are attacking Obama for having an angry pastor? She will do anything to win and you Hillary supporters deserve all you get (i.e. 4-8 years of President John "W" McCain).

March 23, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  22. eddie

After I found out about him supporting a racist for 20 years and then conveniently using his grandmother as a way of justifying a racist anti-american preacher, I have decided sadly to not support my dems. If hillary isn't our nominee, I will vote for john mccain

March 23, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  23. Hasmore, CA

Wright just wants us to get it right. And right, is equal treatment for all Americans, not just a few.

March 23, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. bigben

Hillary supports are not going vote for Obama. He going lose the ge. You rude obama people. enjoy

March 23, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  25. MNDem

It's interesting how Hillary's divisiveness has turned her own supporters into Republicans. If she can't win, then they're going to vote for McCain? If that is what your candidate inspires you to do, then I guess you were never a Democrat in the first place. We may be fans of different players, but we are supposed to be on the same team.

March 23, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |