March 21st, 2008

Richardson endorses Obama

ALT TEXT

Watch Bill Richardson endorse Obama. (AP Photo)

(CNN) - Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico endorsed Sen. Barack Obama in the Democratic race for president Friday.

"Barack Obama will make a great and historic president," Richardson told a rally in Portland, Oregon, with Obama standing at his side.

Richardson said Obama's recent speech on race in America, saying he "understands clearly that only by bringing people together, only by bridging our differences can we all succeed together as Americans."

"He appealed to the best in us ... as a Hispanic American I was particularly touched by his words," Richardson added.

Full story

1. Russell

Barbara, We WILL vote for Obama in NC! Speak for yourself please!

March 21, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. louise in New York

Thank you Gov Richardson! Excellent choice. Would love to see you as VP!! I feel hope again..Obama is this country's hope for unity within our borders and the rest of the world..and the two(Obama & Richardson) together just make it better.

March 21, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. Angela

All of you who keep saying that Bill Richardson betrayed a friendship are the same ones who called for Obama to kick Rev. Wright to the curb. Is friendship and loyalty only good when it serves you?

March 21, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Joseph

Richardson's endorsement is meaningless at this point. He should have endorsed him before Texas. What happens to Obama if he loses Pennsylvania? Many plls have him donw by 15-20 points. If Hillary wins PA by 15 points – all bets are off on Obama winning. He needs to be comeptitive in PA.

March 21, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  5. Joann Virginia Beach VA

CORRECTION:

And don't forget that Bill Clinton met with Obama's pastor in 1998. What does that mean? That's why Hillary is keeping her mouth shut.

Joann – Virginia Beach, VA

March 21, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Emilio, New York

Jack:

Dare we say an all miniority Democratic ticket! Obama / Richardson sounds like an unstoppable ticket to me. Richardson's foreign policy experience would be a great compliment to Obama, and clearly Richardson is Presidental material in case of need. Obama and the DNC should give this serious consideration. Que viva Obama / Richardson!

March 21, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. Bill

It's a pleasure to read the positive, hopeful, and fresh comments in favor of Sen. Obama. The comments for Sen. Clinton seem to have a common thread of anger, negativity, and sarcasm. Get a grip.

March 21, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. linda-Texas

Obama's "new politics" is ominously reminiscent of the "new economy" and we all know how well that worked for us.
    Remember Enron–the company no one had ever heard of–rocketed to the top on false information and ultimately imploded with millions of investors losing everything.

March 21, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  9. julia

I believe he have done it with hope that Obama picks him as VP.
    He is endorsing Obama despite his constituency vote for Hillary.
    I guess its ok for super delegates to vote against will of their states too?

Go Hillary!

March 21, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. larry loebig

If I want fair and balanced I guess I will need to go to fox news – cnn might as well endorse Obama – they helped get Bush elected and now Obama – does that tell you anything?

March 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  11. M.A.

Obama has a pride on his honesty that is unknown on Sen. Hillary Clinton, perhaps because there is a lack of it there.

March 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  12. Rob

To those individuals that are complaining that Richardson should've endorsed Hillary Clinton because he is her friend... well, you aren't supposed to endorse your friend, you are supposed to endorse the candidate you feel would be the better president.

March 21, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  13. Justin, Grand Junction, CO

Thank you Gov. Richardson!

Message to all the Clinton supporters : time to jump onboard, let's unite and defeat McCain!

March 21, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  14. Green Pea, NC

For those Dems that say that they won't vote for Obama if he gets the DEM nominee, proves just one point – that America is still prejudice.
    We are SUPPOSED to be the most progressive country in the world, not the most hypocritical.

March 21, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  15. Doug in Orlando, Fla

funny hillary picked up 5 superdelegates today and obama picked up 1....why are we not seeing the 5 hillary picked up. I find it odd nothing is being said.

March 21, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. Ram

Democracy is smart people. Smart people make up their own minds who is best suited for them & the country. Common sense is vital. We should not be guided or misguided by endorsement of famous people, pundits, church & religious groups or journalists.

March 21, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. I'm confused

No one voted for Gov. Richardson in the primary but now he is the cat's meow? Seriously?

March 21, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Brenda in SC

Those of you who are disappointed in Richardson's endorsement, go on his site and email him. Let me know that he won't be getting a position in the White House. I see CNN is continuing to show its bias toward electing Barack Obama – still wonder if Oprah owns some stock.

March 21, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. Mike Levy

Endorsements mean nothing any more.The only thing that matters is who the super delagates vote forThey get to cast their vote on who they think would be best for the job.And this time im glad the nominee will be decided by wisdom.The people blew the last 2 presidential elections.GO SUPER DELAGATES

March 21, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  20. mathew

Has anyone else realized that everything that has been said or done to the Clintons over the years, is now getting used by the same people to Barack. I think it is a shame the Clintons are using any and every play in the book to win especially being as most of the plays are out of the the republician book. Because you Clinton supporters continue to mutter insults and state that you will not vote Obama in the general, I will not vote Hillary in the general because of the racist and un american things her supporters say.

March 21, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  21. Alen

DNC is doing everything to derail Clinton. I hope Hillary will consider to run as an independent is November. I WILL NOT vote for Obama in November and I consider myself true Democrat.

March 21, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  22. Jean

Doesn't make a difference – I'm still voting for Hillary. I don't trust Obama.

March 21, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  23. AMK

CNN you wouldn't post my comment either.....

March 21, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  24. David

Jack,

This is huge, and I think we all know it.

March 21, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |