March 24th, 2008

Clinton stresses party unity in Pennsylvania

Sen. Clinton said Democrats will need to unite against John McCain.
Sen. Clinton said Democrats will need to unite against John McCain.

BLUE BELL, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Over the weekend, Barack Obama's campaign manager David Plouffe accused Hillary Clinton of having a “character gap.” Clinton spokesman Phil Singer returned fire, saying today that Obama’s campaign is perpetrating an "insidious pattern of personal attacks."

Any Democrat listening the harsh language emanating from the campaigns would be forgiven for thinking it might be tough to unify the party this fall.

Clinton was asked by a voter here Monday about the increasingly contentious race, and whether Democrats can manage to come together in the general election. Clinton re-emphasized that Democrats must unite after the primary battle.

"I think we will have a unified Democratic party once we have a nominee, we will go into fall election very committed to taking back the White House," she said. "None of the things I talk about will happen if Sen. McCain is elected."

She praised McCain and their work in Senate together, but added, "As he himself has said, he doesn’t know much about the economy."

The mostly female audience laughed as she ribbed McCain over his economic credentials, but she was serious as she urged Democrats to put aside their differences to defeat the presumptive GOP nominee.

"I think that people that who would have voted for either me or Sen. Obama are going to ask themselves, 'Wait a minute, there are really big differences between the Democrats and the Republicans.' And let’s have a unified party and elect a Democratic president."

UPDATE: Republican National Committee spokesman Danny Diaz issued this response to Clinton's charges against McCain: "Sen. Clinton’s plans to increase taxes and implement massive government spending would only hurt hardworking families and small businesses. Her political attacks against Sen. McCain won’t distract voters from her backward-looking and failed policy stances."

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. Texas Independent Voter

Hillary how stupid do you think we are? Why do Obama's ratings go up every time Bill Clinton opens his mouth?

Is the rest of America as sick and tired of the Clintons as I am? I'm getting over the flu but Clinton fatigue is hanging on forever.

March 24, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  2. John, NC

Hillary is just whistling Dixie if she thinks she can unite the party. I definitely will vote for McCain if she is nominated.

March 24, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. HP Boston

Senator Clinton is going to be a wonderful president.
    It is a good thing she doe not have that albatross WRIGHT around her neck.
    No one in their right mind will vote for Omabama, he has absolutely no judgement whatsoever. His words and and actions are a joke.
    He is a phony and he needs to go back to the senate and get some WORK done, he is a slacker.
    He wants us to feel sorry foe him, he thinks he is ENTITLED to be president , ya real Audacity!!!

March 24, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  4. Mrs. Q

If you are serious about change, then ACT on it. Don't be so close-minded that you'll vote for the devil just because your favorite candidate doesn't get the nomination.

Democrats, PLEASE: Either Obama OR Clinton would be better than repeating the status quo.

Don't be a baby. Be an adult.

March 24, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  5. John Zeger

The polls show that regardless of who the Democratic candidate is that it will be a close race against John McCain. I sincerely hope that in the end, and after both Hillary and Obama's weaknesses have been exposed, that the superdelegates vote for the candidate that has the best chance of being elected president.

March 24, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  6. Gene in Texas

Hillary and Gov of Pennslyvania 're red necks and have no chance to rule this great nation.

March 24, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  7. Maxine

It's is a little hard to have party unity when all she has done is trash the other side.

March 24, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  8. I'm fed up

This primary contest is just as disgusting as anything I've ever witnessed from Republicans. If Hillary wins, I'll vote for her. If Obama wins...I'm probably going to vote for John McCain. But to tell you the truth, I don't really care any more.

March 24, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  9. chris

The party is divided.

If Obama gets the nomination, I will not be able to support the democratic party for the first time in 40 years.

I have raised my children in love. There were children in the congregation when Rev. Wright was preaching to hate the white person, even calling some by name, but called the white people their enemy twice. I have raised mine to love thy neighbor. Our neighbor may be one of the people Rev. Wright has taught to hate me or my children. This could only led to violence, at the hands of Obama for supporting such a church for 20 years.

An x-Obama supporter

Sure wish I would have known about this before super Tuesday. I voted for him then, but would not in the General election. I will vote for McCain instead, a vote against Obama because of his churches racial doctrine.

racism: hate or intolerance toward another race or other races.

March 24, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. bigben

in honor of Greg. If Obama win. I am voting McCain

March 24, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  11. Harvey

There will be no unity I like Greg who said he would vote for McCain in Hillary gets the nomination....Well its the same for me except if OBAMA gets the nomination I will vote McCain...voters should not stay home if their dem favorite is not on the ticket.....we should put a republcan in office no matter who it is.....

March 24, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  12. Brandon Chicago

I hope all the Obama supporters vote for McCain . Because I know for sure that 3 votes in my house will if this fake Obama gets the nod. That is a fact !

March 24, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  13. Al

Q.) Who should you be in order to become the president USA?

A.) CAUCASIAN CHRISTIAN.

March 24, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  14. Texas Voter

HILLARY PLEASE STOP! You have statistically lost the nomination. Don't cause us to lose the white house.

March 24, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. chris

CLINTON \ LEWIS 2008 all the way baby!!!!!!

March 24, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  16. AnnaMarie

Me Too Greg, I support Obama.. If Hillary gets the nomiee I too will vote for McCain......

March 24, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  17. Rich

GO OBAMA!

March 24, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  18. GL

Exactly Hillary. And the sooner you admit defeat and move on, we'll be able to do that.

Obama '08

March 24, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  19. Frank

Hilliary, stick it out. You'll be in that white house in 2009. I live in philadelphia and I can't wait for you to sweep this state on April 22nd. And Bill Richardson is a traitor. After all the Clinton's did for him. Wow, so much for loyalty. Nice guy to have on your side Barack. Don't turn your back on him too long....

March 24, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  20. Stevo

You talk about unity when you didn't care if the delegates in MI and FL were seated till you NEEDED them.

In my opinion your integrity is shot, and I shutter at the thought of you winning the nomination.

although, in the interest of UNITY if you win the nomination I will allow you the chance to convince me that you have some sort of integrity and my interests at heart, and not just your own interests.

March 24, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  21. Paul

CNN what about Hillary’s major speech on the economy
    we do not wanna hear about surrogates while Obama is on vacation, let’s move on to the issues.

HILLARY – President of the United States of America

March 24, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  22. janis

Greg... I agree. I have never voted for a republican, but I will if Obama gets the nomination and I know many others that will also. After watching all of the sermons of his preacher, I am convinced he is simply an eloquent speaker with charisma that overshadows his true identity. I am appalled that Obama's campaign has brought the Monica L. incident up and thrown it in Hillary's face. Very nasty politics by Obama.

March 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  23. Shari Loe

Greg, please remember McCain supports more killing and dying in Iraq, more money for military but not people. Hillary and Obama both want to win, they' both think they're entitled (remember when he was way behind? And stayed in? Do the millions who voted for her not count now that he's managed to win undemocratic caucuses?) They've both got big egos and have both crossed a lot of lines we'd rather they hadn't .. but neither of them will be Bush, Part III! They are virtually identical on the issues. I for one had a tough time choosing (ended up with Hillary), but I will enthusiastically support either one in November. My children and yours deserve no less!

March 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  24. Robert

good because i obama is siting his butt on vaction right now and if obama wins i will vote for john McCain HILLARY YOU GO ALL THE WAY PA FOR HILLARY 08

March 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  25. Robert

PA FOR HILLARY 08 and if obama wins i will vote for John McCain!!!!

March 24, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |