March 24th, 2008

Clinton stresses party unity in Pennsylvania

Sen. Clinton said Democrats will need to unite against John McCain.
Sen. Clinton said Democrats will need to unite against John McCain.

BLUE BELL, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Over the weekend, Barack Obama's campaign manager David Plouffe accused Hillary Clinton of having a “character gap.” Clinton spokesman Phil Singer returned fire, saying today that Obama’s campaign is perpetrating an "insidious pattern of personal attacks."

Any Democrat listening the harsh language emanating from the campaigns would be forgiven for thinking it might be tough to unify the party this fall.

Clinton was asked by a voter here Monday about the increasingly contentious race, and whether Democrats can manage to come together in the general election. Clinton re-emphasized that Democrats must unite after the primary battle.

"I think we will have a unified Democratic party once we have a nominee, we will go into fall election very committed to taking back the White House," she said. "None of the things I talk about will happen if Sen. McCain is elected."

She praised McCain and their work in Senate together, but added, "As he himself has said, he doesn’t know much about the economy."

The mostly female audience laughed as she ribbed McCain over his economic credentials, but she was serious as she urged Democrats to put aside their differences to defeat the presumptive GOP nominee.

"I think that people that who would have voted for either me or Sen. Obama are going to ask themselves, 'Wait a minute, there are really big differences between the Democrats and the Republicans.' And let’s have a unified party and elect a Democratic president."

UPDATE: Republican National Committee spokesman Danny Diaz issued this response to Clinton's charges against McCain: "Sen. Clinton’s plans to increase taxes and implement massive government spending would only hurt hardworking families and small businesses. Her political attacks against Sen. McCain won’t distract voters from her backward-looking and failed policy stances."

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. Tired of biased cnn

this monster must be kidding me!

always says one thing and does the other.

March 24, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  2. Bren

And here you have a perfect example of the audacity of audacity – Hillary preaching Party Unity! What a laugh!

What part of "Mathematically Impossible For You To Win” don’t you get, Hillary?

Try repeating it ever-so-slowly and maybe it will sink in:

Mathematically Impossible For You To Win.

Mathematically Impossible For You.

Mathematically Impossible.

MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE!

Good grief, give it up, already! Practice what you preach. Try to find some shred of decency and integrity, drop out of the race and try really uniting the party.

March 24, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  3. James

Good!

Stop playing games Hillary and bow out with a little grace. Do the MATH. You know you can't win. Time to GO AWAY for the sake of the party.

March 24, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  4. Mad Texan

VOTE FOR HILLARY BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

NOSTRADAMUS CODE – One will come from the Islands speaking with a deceiving tongue. A :young dark man" will rise to become a world leader at a time of a lot of violence, political maneuvering, and corruption. Through his influence he will corrupt the religion of Christianity with the intent of destroying it. He will distort the beliefs of Islam. He will disguise his agenda of conquest as a way of life and a replacement for Christianity. His name will not be familiar in the West but will come from the Middle East beginning with the letter "O".

March 24, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  5. Veterans for Clinton

Clinton is the best person for the job. Go Hillary!!

March 24, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  6. Lloyd Hansen

She wants unity if it means letting her sweep the state, which I hope she does.

March 24, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  7. henna jan

please watch Micheal Obama on flever of love III show.
    she is great.

go flver fleve

March 24, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  8. Deb

To Greg: If Obama gets the nomination, I'm voting for McCain too. I need someone in the Whitehouse who has a real track record of making change; not someone who tells his supporters he'll run a different style campaign and then resorts to calling Clinton a liar rather than listing his own real accomplishments.
    To Corey and Veterans: Listen, the rules don't say "the candidate that gets the MOST delegates wins... It says, the candidate that gets to 2024 wins... NEITHER of them will get to that number. They are 100+ delegates apart and all the polling shows a nearly even split of dems for each. THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF A CONVENTION IS TO ADDRESS EXACTLY THIS KIND OF ISSUE. I say, let the process play out. Everyone take an aspirin... ITs going to be ok...

March 24, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  9. Janet in Florida

As a Fla voter who took the time to vote. I say to Hillary stay in and fight.
    Remember they have to count our votes, if not all hell will break out.
    Go James for speaking the truth. Richardson wouldn't be where he is today if it wasn't for Bill.
    If they give this primary to Obama My Family will be voting for Ralph Nader.

March 24, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  10. Dave, MO

Hi Hillary.

If Obama doesn't win the nomination, I'm going to give my vote to John McCain.

I hear he comes highly recommended...by you in fact!

March 24, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  11. mee mee

Obama is pitching the same divisive attacks that he argues against. he just doesn't have the backbone to do it himself.

Tell me if he you can't even trust his words, what can you trust? He has no experience. His record consists of running for the higher and higher offices.

I will give Obama credit though. He made me think why I am sitting on the sideline. Why am I not running for the president of the united states? I hate the war and I have a perfect political record because I haven't done anything political. I mean, see past the hype, this is the argument Obama is making. May be you (yes you reading this) should ask why are you not running for president?

Experience doesn't matter, your word doesn't matter, all you need is ambition. As Commodus from Gladiators once said to his father (Caesar) :

"You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: Wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but... there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list."

March 24, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  12. dlr

Sen. Clinton has no room to talk about negative campaigning. She lost a Superdelegate because he felt that she has created and continues the negativeness within this nomination process. Sen. Dodd concurred if you read between the lines.

One minutes she says Superdelagetes should decide, which disenfranchises the voters that put Sen. Obama ahead in popular votes and delegates. On the next breathe, Florida and Michigan voters should not be disenfranchised. Sounds to me, that she'll use any line that benefits her and not what the people want. Go Figure

March 24, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  13. Francis

Why should some Hillary supporters think Bill Richardson's role in her husband administration should be singled out as the basis to support or endorse her? I guess Hillary and Bill Clinton should be viewed as separate people in terms of seeking the high office such as president of US and not as wife and husband.

March 24, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  14. talmis

Obama is a school boy that actually only knows how to do personal attacks or ask people on his camp to attack when he is on vacation in St. Thomas....

With the dollar lower than ever and the economy looking as bad as it looks, really, do you want this guy in the white house?

I have not seen a single positive proposal (not hope, I mean real proposals...) from him in the last month about economy....when he talks about economy he is very much saying something written on his papers...(the ones that somebody wrote for him...)...

we are playing with the real future of the economy, an the economy is not an abstract thought...is not an abstract "housing market"...is your house, my house, everybody's house..., the price of food, doctors, gasoline...you name it...and of course...our jobs!!!....SO, PLEASE LESS HOPE AND MORE DOING SOMETHING OR HAVING PLANS TO DO SOMETHING!!!

March 24, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  15. Brandon Chicago

why does all the Obama supporters want too have Hillary drop out of the race ? Are you afraid she could win ? Obama leads in the delegate count but Hillary leads in the super-delegates , Obama leads in the popular vote but not by such a large margin that she couldn't win. Is this going too be a challenge for Hillary ( yeah) , but it is do-able .Quit trying too get her too drop out it's a race. To the victor goes the spoils. Just don't count on the super-delegates too cheat Obama's way into the office. Gov. Richardson & Sen . Kennedy want too be the one too pick this Pres. & I feel the People of this country should pick. Don't count the votes in Fl. & Mich., they will get too pick there Pres. in the General Election. Hopefully they vote against the same party that started this whole mess.

March 24, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  16. Jdona

Got news for you Obama fanatics. He can't win in November because 50% or more of us Hillary diehards will not forget you or your candidates absolutely disgraceful behavior. We will never support him. And you can't win without us. and this race if far from over. Obama can't win the nomination because he doesn't have the votes, it will go to the convention floor. And you know he can't win too, unless of course, Hillary withdraws from the race and he wins by default. Not going to happen. If you are so dead set on a unified party, pressure Obama to withdraw. Hillary will overtake him in the popular vote when Pa, WVA, and either North Carolina or Indiana votes, Florida and Michigan will be seated at the convention, they cannot afford not to when the television cameras are on them, and then she overtakes him on the delegate count. This race is far from over. 10 more states will have their say, then its on to the convention. We can only pray that Hillary wins. Obama will be the worst thing that has ever happened to this country, and will singlehandedly hand the election to the Republicans.

March 24, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  17. Alex Texas

To Norb,
    Believe me, Bill Clinton would not have stood a chance if he ran against Obama...Obama is not where he is today by accident. If u had any common sense or maybe some real education besides a GED you will know that.

March 24, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  18. Independent-Latina-voter, Salt Lake City, UT

TOO LATE, HILLARY! Your campaign has damaged the Democratic party, I don't think it can pull off a win in November. I just hope that everyone who supported the Clinton campaign will remember how ugly things got when McCain takes the White House in November.

Some of Hillary's supporters have been beyond vicious. Its really sad, since Sen. Obama is a decent guy.

OBAMA 08!

March 24, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  19. OBAMA 08

clition is the reason the party is dividing. she will dsacrifice the entire party for her nomination. and will bend the rules just for her personal gain. go obama.

March 24, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  20. AKA's for Obama!

As a former devout Clinton supporter, I really find it very hard to believe that she would support party unity. But, I'm not at all surprised that she's stressing this unity in a state that she has long been projected to win. If she really wanted party "unity' she would stop changing the rules at every turn when she is not winning. It all seems to be directed at her desire to win at all costs! I discountinued supporting Clinton because when "she found her voice", her husband came in and disrespected the voters in South Carolina. And, last Sunday we saw James Carville disrespect Gov. Richardson by calling him a "Judas" for his decision (and God-given right) to support Barack Obama. Party UnityA?? Sounds somewhat dishonest to me!

March 24, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  21. kb

Dems for McCain....we can't stomach another Clinton stained whitehouse

March 24, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  22. Alex

Seriously, Carville should audition for the ugliest man alive. Clinton's campaign is a joke. All those making a big deal about what Rev Wright had to say, should take a moment and view a whole version of some of those sermons on youtube...

March 24, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  23. EyeOpener

It must be the silly SEASON, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha.........
    It's funny, I just received a call from the Hillary Campaigne, not knowing at the time.
    The gentleman on the other end asked me, who will I be voting for?
    Before answering, I asked him, who will you be voting for?
    He said, I think I'll be voting for Obama. I asked him whose campaigne are you supporting, he said, Hillary Clinton campaigne. Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If her campaigning supporters are acting like her, trying to deceive ,lie and cheat, just to win this campaigne; tell me if you see any unity in her or anyone following or campaigning for her.
    Not to be harsh, but Hillary would have been better off divorcing Bill in his scandal.
    I probably would be voting for her, just to see who she is as an individual. I'll say this, Behind every Good man, there is a Good woman, (PRESIDENT OBAMA AND FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA)and behind every Bad man, there is a bad woman without true substance.

March 24, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  24. anita

Come November none of this will matter.

The 529's are loading their bunkers with all this ammo against the DEMS, no matter who is the nominee.
    They have plenty now; they will have so much more.

March 24, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  25. NBP/NEW YORK

Hay Greg quess what if Obama win I'm voting for McCain and a lot of other people are doing the same. Obama wants to win no matter what and will say anything to get elected. The people of this country are smart and know a bull– artist when they see and hear one.

March 24, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |