March 24th, 2008

Clinton stresses party unity in Pennsylvania

Sen. Clinton said Democrats will need to unite against John McCain.
Sen. Clinton said Democrats will need to unite against John McCain.

BLUE BELL, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Over the weekend, Barack Obama's campaign manager David Plouffe accused Hillary Clinton of having a “character gap.” Clinton spokesman Phil Singer returned fire, saying today that Obama’s campaign is perpetrating an "insidious pattern of personal attacks."

Any Democrat listening the harsh language emanating from the campaigns would be forgiven for thinking it might be tough to unify the party this fall.

Clinton was asked by a voter here Monday about the increasingly contentious race, and whether Democrats can manage to come together in the general election. Clinton re-emphasized that Democrats must unite after the primary battle.

"I think we will have a unified Democratic party once we have a nominee, we will go into fall election very committed to taking back the White House," she said. "None of the things I talk about will happen if Sen. McCain is elected."

She praised McCain and their work in Senate together, but added, "As he himself has said, he doesn’t know much about the economy."

The mostly female audience laughed as she ribbed McCain over his economic credentials, but she was serious as she urged Democrats to put aside their differences to defeat the presumptive GOP nominee.

"I think that people that who would have voted for either me or Sen. Obama are going to ask themselves, 'Wait a minute, there are really big differences between the Democrats and the Republicans.' And let’s have a unified party and elect a Democratic president."

UPDATE: Republican National Committee spokesman Danny Diaz issued this response to Clinton's charges against McCain: "Sen. Clinton’s plans to increase taxes and implement massive government spending would only hurt hardworking families and small businesses. Her political attacks against Sen. McCain won’t distract voters from her backward-looking and failed policy stances."

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. FEDUP

I'm supporting Hillary. If Ophama gets the nomination, I'm voting by writing in Hillary Clinton.

March 24, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  2. MarySue22

Clinton calls for "unity" in PA. I laughed til I cried.

March 24, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  3. YankeeClipper

Clinton stresses party unity!!???!?!?! What a laugh. She only wants party unity if she's the nomineee, otherwise it's, "to hell with party unity." Give it up all ready. Sheeeesh

March 24, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  4. Luisa

Hillary said what? Are you kidding me?!

Clinton is acting just like a child. If she cannot be win the Democratic nomination she is going to make sure Obama does not win the White House.

Senator Clinton you are not entitled to have the nomination handed to you. You must work for it by earning the PEOPLE's trust and respect. You have not done that and your tactics are turning people off.

If Senator Clinton steals the nomination I will vote for McCain.

March 24, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  5. Candace, Delanco, New Jersey

There will be no unity for the Dems in November is HillBill steals the nomination in August.

Personally, this Dem will become a Republican in November. Wake up Hillary, you lost.

Ever heard the line,...."a lady always knows when to leave".

March 24, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  6. Clutch

If she wants party unity, she needs to drop out of the race and endorse Obama!

March 24, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  7. Vince from Texas

You Obama people have been drinking spiked Kool Aid! He is going to lose BIG tIme if he gets the nomination. You are just bitter because his true colors have been exposed and people are having more than second doubts about him. I really wanted a Democrat in the White House but not this racist liar. Believe me, many Dems will vote for McCain or write-in Hillary. Obama doesn't have a chance in Hell!

March 24, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  8. Rose

I', with you Greg!And so are a lot of others

March 24, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  9. jr.

Dear Americas; I strongly believe we can not depend on Mr. Obama with our Nations Security.When he fails to detect for twenty years his Menister Mr. Wright speaked Anti America.A President must be able to evaluate another President intentions.Mr. Obama has shown he fail to jugde Mr. Wright and to depart himself from Mr. Wright.Mr. Obama poorly answer of showing he fail to detect Mr.Wright with his Anti American speeches, an insted spoked of my grandma a racist.

March 24, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  10. v.ananthan

HILLARY CLINTON IS THE ONE AND ONLY HOPE DEMOCRATS HAVE AND I HOPE THAT DEMOCRATS UNDERSTAND THIS !!!!!!!!!!

ITS UP TO PENNSYLVANIA AND OTHER REMAINING STATES TO SHOW THE WAY ................................

HILLARY CLINTON , PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 08

March 24, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  11. kayla

norb, he's not the one running for president, or is he?

March 24, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  12. Brandon Chicago

come on CNN why can't you post these comments in a more timely manner. You only post neg. ads about Hillary & Bill. Afraid of the truth .

March 24, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  13. Tiff

She does not want part unity that’s the reason she keeps complimenting McCain "she praised McCain and their work in Senate together" , since she can't win she will try to make it so Obama will lose and destroy the Democratic Party.

March 24, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  14. Shannon McMurphy

Hillary is making speeches about issues that matter, like the economy, and Obama is...hmmm, in the Virgin Islands making an "unofficial" visit to the Governor. Right. I doubt if he's ever taken an "unofficial" visit to the john.

Obama is playing you guys like a cheap trip to Vegas.

GO HILLARY!

March 24, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  15. After further review,Texas

The Ditto heads must have off today or its the same one with forty names on here.

March 24, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  16. Kim

Typical cunning Hillary monster. Talk unity then two days before the PA election she will say something like." I do not think Obama is a racist but I do not know why his poor judgement put him in a racist church" Just like her little NAFTA trick fooled the voters of Ohio.

March 24, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  17. Terry in Pensacola

The Obama camp media sensors are busy today. Mark my word ,leave out the voice of Florida and Michigan voters now and pay for it in NOVEMBER!

March 24, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  18. Gina, Los Angeles

I am supporting Hillary. If Obama gets the nomination, I will vote for McCain.

March 24, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  19. Pat Va

Party unity??? And we're to do that how, Hillary...with YOU and your campaign either accusing Senator Obama's supporters of being a "Judas" or outright lying about being under sniper fire in Bosnia?

I do wonder about your mental capacity. Why don't you give us all a very much needed break (so we can concentrate on Senator McCain) and QUIT NOW!!! I for one (but believe me there are thousands of us out here) am sick to death of you!!!

March 24, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  20. Doc

Norb,

Let's not forget, Bill Clinton is not a candidate in this race.

March 24, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  21. Susan

What a laugh coming from Hillary...the most divisive and polarizing figure in politics today. She's a joke!

March 24, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  22. NickSP

I can't believe that Obama supporters can still stand behind their candidate after all that has been brought to light recently. You have been lied to (repeatedly!), you have been called racist (if you are white), you have been duped into thinking that Obama is above the fray and anything other than a typical politician. And now, in the thick of it when things get tense, he goes on vacation!
    Wake up, people! If Obama does end up getting the nomination, a big chunk of Clinton supporters will stay home or vote for McCain in the Fall – there is no way that I could imagine voting for a phony candidate like Obama! McCain might be a repug but at least he is honorable and has some semblance of experience!
    If the DEMs had the same rules as the REPs, HRC would have this wrapped up according to the electoral college votes of states she won. Even without FL and MI. So this thing is faaar from over, and if Obama supporters want to continue their hate spewing and vitriolic statements, so be it. But it isn't Clinton who is being divisive here.

March 24, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  23. Robert

I am supporting Senator Clinton. If OBAMA gets the nomination, I will definitely vote of Senator McCain.

Senator Clinton – President of the United States of America
    Senator Edwards – Vice President of the United States of America

OBAMA – definitely a motivational speaker.....

March 24, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  24. gary

OBAMA has divided this race and all ways.He is the false God that the Good Book talks about. He unites the people than they suffer.You cant change the Government. Give me a break.If Obama supporters are that naive where they believe he can change the world,than you better wake up out of that dream.obama is doing just what he set out to do.He's bringing more hate . There is your change he's talking about.All he cares about is making history,where HRC cares about us.What goes around comes around. You might just get more than your asking for. concerned viet nam vet

March 24, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  25. Virginia For Obama

I think what Carville said was wrong. The Clinton's think that everyone owns them their vote. By Bill Richardson holding out until now to endorse Obama, tells me that he paid any debt the Clinton's think he owns

March 24, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |