March 25th, 2008

Clinton pushes back against media predictions

GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Hillary Clinton on Tuesday pushed back against recent speculation by pundits and Democratic insiders that her chances of securing the Democratic nomination are quickly diminishing.

"I know there are some in Washington, and some in the media, who want this race to be over," she said to a loud chorus of boos at a town hall meeting here.

"There are some who think we don't need to hear the voices of people in Pennsylvania or Indiana or North Carolina or Montana or any of the other states that haven't had their chance to vote," she said. "Well I disagree."

Clinton did not mention Michigan and Florida, the two states in which her campaign has been advocating for primary re-votes, using a similar argument that their voices deserve to be heard in the nominating process.

"Everyone's voices should count. We still have 10 contests and millions of people to go, and with Pennsylvania's help, I believe I will be the Democratic nominee for president."

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. John

I see Hillary Clinton is once again pushing the notion that even pledged delegates aren't really bound by the popular vote of the people in state primaries.

Which would put the lie to her argument that the people of Florida and Michigan should have their voices heard.

I'm amazed that there are people that still support someone so transparently duplicitous.

March 25, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  2. Johnny Mak

Hillary has been ahead in popular vote and delegates from the beginning if you count the millions of voters in Florida and Michigan. How can anyone take these votes away and call themselves American. Shame on all of you. Phony Obama is stealing this domination away. What selective memory and convenient truth. I have never trusted or believed Obama and never will. There will be more racial tension in this country than ever if BHO is elected. Sad, very sad. Stop saying Obama has popular vote, delegates and is more electible. He is not.

March 25, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  3. Juan

WHAT???? CNN are you kidding me??? In light of her being caught red-handed in the middle of a lie you guys are giving this coverage??
    CNN I cannot believe how biased you have been!! Are you campaigning for billary clinton? you have lost a long time viewer. I'm switching over to MSNBC

March 25, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  4. dwilson

What I don't understand is why people are calling for Hillary to quit. Why should her supporters in upcoming primaries, as well as those who have already voted and contributed and continue to contribute to her campaign, not have the opportunity to support her through the convention? It's not as if Barack Obama has won enough delegates to capture the nomination. I'm sure if and when Obama has enough delegates to seal the nomination, Hillary will graciously accept the results. It seems un-American of the Obama campaign, Gov. Richardson, and the media to urge someone to give up before everyone has voted. In the Democratic Party, I thought the goal was to count every vote. I guess the goal doesn’t apply to those states that might give more votes to Hillary.

March 25, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  5. jimmy vekmen

Cafferty at it again. Bashing Clinton. Lou Dobbs , the pleasant smiling anchor is the exact opposite of old grouch Cafferty . Lou Dobbs is far ,far better than Cafferty with his "Cafferty File"
    To me Cafferty File postings are at the mercy of Cafferty himself and thus can be tilted by the will and choice of Cafferty.. No matter what subjects are raised by Cafferty, they are always subject to his will and choice.

March 25, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  6. Thanh

All of you people calling for Hillary to drop out should be ashamed of yourselves. Staying in the race and letting people decide is the best thing you can do for your party.

There are 10 or so contests left and both candidates owe it the people to run to the end and let them make a decision. There's only a 4% difference between them. That is far from a landslide and far from a "mandate."

Any notion that Hillary is finished, is propaganda from the Obama machine. Yes, I said it. Obama's campaign is now a mechanical beast. He virtually doesn't have to do anything now, his people can do it for him. Hillary on the other hand is working hard, talking to folks, not taking R&R in the Virgin Islands, which was quite cocky for Obama only leading 4 points.

March 25, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  7. Joanna

All of you calling for end ...must have already voted! How about you let the rest of the dems vote? See? that's the American way. This thing is so close that neither of them will have the votes to win...it will take the wisdom of the elders to decide. too bad. so sad.

Go Hillary...keep on keepin' on.

Clinton '08 – I can't wait!

March 25, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  8. DJ in TX

Notice she said with Pennsylvania's help......hmmm didn't she just state there are 10 more contests? She'll probably win by a decent number in Penssylvania, but the other states will be very close for either of the candidates. So she'll gain a few delegates, but that's it. In the meantime, she's fueling the Republican's with everything they need to against Barack. It's almost like it if is not her, then no Democrat.

And to Charles Hardeman, What baton did Barack "snatch" from Hillary? You act as if she was "entitled" to the nomination. She ran a bad campaign and didn't perk up until TX and Ohio. It was all too late by then. She should have acted sooner.

March 25, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  9. jimmy vekmen

Cafferty on a possible Al Gore -led Democratic ticket if there should be a deadlock in the selection of the Democratic Presidential nominee.. Al Gore has not been damaged by the long and sometimes nasty exchange from both sides of the Obama and Clinton Camps.. In Addition, Al Gore won the majority vote in the Gore-Bush Presidential Election which many Demcrats believe was "stolen" from them by Florida government officials under the presidents brother. Al Gore is also a Nobel Prize winner for his environmental protection leadership. Al Gore will be formidable against Mccain.

March 25, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  10. Ratgurl

Hey Jen, Darth Vadik, Dilly, Rick in Florida, Vanchava, Deborah, Fred, and Ray:

Regardless of which candidate you support, please STOP SHOUTING!!!

It is bad ettiquette to type in ALL CAPS. It's like shouting at the reader. Show some decorum (and use spell check while you're at it).

Obama '08

March 25, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  11. olga Menache

INSTEAD OF FOCUSNG ON HILLARY CLINTON WHO WE HAVE
    BEEN FAMILIAR WITH... FOCUS MORE ON OBAMA, WHO 6 MONTHS AGO NO BODY NEW WHO HE WAS.. AND NOW WE ARE READY TO ENTRUST OUR FUTURE TO A MAN WHO FOR 20 YRS
    HAS LHAS CURSEIVED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THIS PREACHER WHO IS RACIST? HOW DID THIS RUB ON OBAMA AFTER SUCH A CLOSE CONTACT WITH THIS MAN?

March 25, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  12. jimmy vekmen

Obama Girl ! give up dancing , and keep your mouth shut or learn
    Ball Room dancing instead. Shaking and grinding is not dancing
    and is distasteful. whatever you are trying to prove, it aint working.
    Your version of dancing with a male partner , at least the one I saw
    aint been pleasing to the sight. I just wonder what you dance like with
    your peers. You know what I mean.

March 25, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  13. olga Menache

INSTEAD OF FOCUSNG ON HILLARY CLINTON WHO WE HAVE
    NO I HAVE NOT MADE ANY COMENTS ON THIS MATTER...
    WE SHOULD BE AFRAID OF THIS CLOSE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THEM

March 25, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  14. Allison Marie

Yes, count all the votes! I am soooo tired of the "Boy's Club" trying to keep you out! Between Howard Dean & Obama, they both sound like spoil little boys. Obama breaks rules all the time, just pay attention!

Count all the votes for Floirda & Michigan!

Countless in Florida

March 25, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  15. jimmy vekmen

Pastor Wright just wont go away even though he is out of sight, but it seems not out of mind.
    Pennsylvania voters are coming to the voter registrations in huge numbers, enough to scare the Republicans. Whoever wins the Democratic Nomination will have an overwhelming number of voters going to the polls for the nominee. the bickering and sometimes nasty
    exchange between the Obama and Clinton camps should die down soon after the No. Carolina primary., when hopefully the nominee will take the insurmountable lead in delegates.

March 25, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  16. Olivia

Hillary.........be all that you can be. I and all my friends want you to stay in the race. You have the right,the stamina and the will, and I don't think much of quitters.

The venom shown by the Obama supporters that want you to quit is unbelieveable. I would never vote for him now.

Take the checkered flag. I always thought that's the way things are done in this country. I respect and admire you.

March 25, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  17. FredB

No one can be held responsible for what Rev. Wright will say or do.
    But for the Clinton's they will accept money from the Fanjul bros. who are responsible for taking advantage of black in the Caribbean.
    Hillary's so called political experience is really a big misspoke.
    We have proof of that now with her trip to Bosnia, the cause of the
    Northeast Blackout of Aug 14 2003 was not Canada's fault but Ohio's.

Monica Lewinsky's scandal "inappropriate relationship" while Hillary was at the White House.

If Obama misspoke it's a big issue with the Clinton's, but if Hillary misspoke OH WELL she is human.

March 25, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  18. NickNas

I don't Like Hillary. I don't respect Hillary. I would NEVER Vote for Hillary.

That aside and I am being serious here. The way she has been acting is making me think of Brittany Spears before the total Meltdown.

I don't like her but think of the damage that would do to Women everywhere who COULD actually run for President on their REAL Merits?

March 25, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  19. tjb

I "like" as all those Obamanian's threaten to leave democratic party if Hillary is nominated.
    they even cannot imagine that Hillary supporters are thinking about the same thing.
    I am sick about all this unobjectivity from all those "democratic" media in including CNN.
    They fell in love with Obama from the very beginning.
    It's so unprefessional, and really disgusting.
    And I know many prodemocratic people are sick of this unobjectivity and if Obama is nominated will vote for McCain and will switch to independent that not have anything in common wiht this stupid DNC

March 25, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  20. TSK, TSK

Clinton....can't understand normal thinking.

March 25, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |