March 25th, 2008

Clinton says she 'misspoke' about sniper fire

CNN

Listen to Bill Scheider’s analysis and Clinton's misspoken comments.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton said she "misspoke" last week when she gave a dramatic description of her arrival in Bosnia 12 years ago, recounting a landing under sniper fire.

Clinton was responding to a question Monday from the Philadelphia Daily News' editorial board about video footage of the event that contradicted her assertion that her group "ran with our heads down" from the plane to avoid sniper fire at the Tuzla Air Base, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Tommy Vietor, a spokesman for rival Sen. Barack Obama's campaign, said the Bosnia claim was part of "a growing list of instances in which Sen. Clinton has exaggerated her role in foreign and domestic policymaking."

Clinton told the paper's editorial board it was a "minor blip."

Related: Watch Clinton speak last December about her trip to Bosnia

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Rob

Hillary Clinton supporter or not.... that's just funny.

March 25, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  2. Antoinette

Misspoke, yeah right

She exxagerated. Sniper fire but you are getting off the plane and dont have your head down ducking for cover

You're greeting a little girl

Lol

March 25, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  3. Bukky, Baltimore

why do my posts just disappear.

This was a lie plain and simple. This qaulifies as a textbook defination of a lie. She did not "mis-speak" she lied.

March 25, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  4. west palm beach, Hawk

I guess she's speaking to her uneducated voters. How could anyone believe anything that comes out of this lady mouth. She maybe worst than Bush after all.

March 25, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  5. actxent

Now who is the liar?

March 25, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  6. vjh

There's a huge difference between misspeaking and telling an outright lie......

March 25, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  7. AKA for Obama!

The media "spin" on this story will be no big deal. I wonder what the conversation would be if Barack Obama, a candidate touting his vast experience in foreign relations, had made this type of mistake? I think it would be a much bigger story!

March 25, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  8. Brandon

Yeah, she misspoke... It was an accident, not a lie. She accidently repeatedly told a story that was accidently not true, and accidently intended to boost her experience claim. I am sure there are many people who accidently believed her and now wonder how much of her experience was just an accidental falsehood.

March 25, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  9. Jb

lying rules!

March 25, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  10. TheLeftNut

WOW! Everybody's mispeakin'.

I'm sick of these primaries and the STUPID "Clinton never Obama" and "Obama never Hillary" crowd. There never was a dumber bunch of Democrats...just as bad as Limbaugh Lemmings.

Oops! I think I mispoke.

March 25, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  11. vanchava

As a long time Bill Clinton supporter, I sympathize with him.

Hillary Clinton will NEVER get my vote. She lied about NAFTA, she won't admit her mistake of voting for the Iraqi war, she's lied about her role in North Ireland and NOW Bosnia.

When will we ever get the truth about Hillary.

SHE'S TRULY A DISGRACE

I'll be waiting for April 15

March 25, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  12. Jessie

Liar Liar Pants on fire.
    Come On Hillary, we all dont have fools written on our foreheads.
    You lied you were caught, just admit it, apologise and move on.
    We all still vividly remember a certain man called Bill lying about a certain affiar he once had.

March 25, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  13. Shawn

Nice fish story Hillary!!!

March 25, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  14. maxwellinformed

Wondering why Obama on vacation is the top news on Political ticker, what is this TMZ?. Man, HillBill really stuck it to the press, and they forget how to do their job. Here she is running for president and caught in a boldface lie. Where is the media coverage. She described with such detail sniper fire and danger about her trip to Bosnia. "Running with her head down", and it was more like a trip to Ft. Detrick in MD. America you really do get the president you deserve.

March 25, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  15. Brad, Obamaha NE

of course she did... this is getting hard to watch.

March 25, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  16. Sham

She has been misspeaking for her entire life!

March 25, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  17. BCNU purple state, usa

A minor blip? That's amusing. I love how the campaign said she "misspoke". I saw the video of her comments made on St. Patrick's Day where she actually prefaced the comment with "I remember well the ..."

I would certainly remember if I were under fire in a combat zone, and probably quite WELL too.

She gets caught in a lie and has the audacity to say, oops, well, I simply misspoke. If my kids "misspoke" in this manner, they'd probably be grounded for quite sometime.

Will we ever hold potential presidents to an equal or higher standard than most of us expect out of our own children?

Would you take a car back to the dealer if he simply "misspoke" about it getting 80 mpg when it only gets 14? The base price is 6,000 dollars, but with the added options is 452,000?

March 25, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  18. Lissa

I guess lies really aren't anything more than 'minor blips' to these people...

March 25, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  19. Sarrah

I hope the rest of her experience is not similar to this
    Bill/ Hillary you both liars

March 25, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  20. J Moses

Hillary seems to constantly be "Mis-speaking" regarding her experience and it doesn't do a thing to boost people's confidence in her. Barack gets a lot of flack for not having this type of experience, but at least he's not lying about it. It's time for a new face in the White House. Someone without decades of political favors to repay. It's OBAMA TIME !

March 25, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  21. Devon

So that is what Hillary is calling lying these days.. "a minor blip".

March 25, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  22. Sue

HOW do you mispeak an entire description of a scene?!?!

HOW do you mispeak 3 or 4 entire SENTENCES?!!?

LYING thats how!!

March 25, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  23. Antoine

Clinton says she "mispoke" about her experience. Umm, how do you forget about being shot at. Trust me, I've been shot at and I can't forget that experience. She flat out lied and is now trying to cover it up. Just for once will somebody tell the truth.

March 25, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  24. Eva

Liar liar sniper fire!

March 25, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  25. Terry

We all know she stretched the truth about what happened during the trip. You know, this would be an excellent time to release the last 8 years of the clinton tax returns.

March 25, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |