March 25th, 2008

Obama camp posts tax returns

Sen. Barack Obama is challenging Sen. Hillary Clinton to release her 2006 tax returns.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Hillary Clinton’s campaign sent out a press release Tuesday morning belatedly attacking Barack Obama for his failure to release his tax returns – at virtually the exact moment the Illinois senator’s campaign posted his 2000-2006 filings on his campaign Web site. [View tax returns here]

“In the public record there are 20 years of Hillary's tax returns, hundreds of thousands of pages of records from her time in White House and countless other documents detailing her time in public life. Sen. Obama's record is far more opaque. Sen. Obama has not released his tax returns, except for 2006,” Clinton spokesman Phil Singer said in a statement sent to reporters just as the Obama camp posted the Illinois senator’s returns online.

The newly-released Obama documents include all schedules. In a statement sent to reporters, the Obama campaign criticized Clinton for not releasing her 2006 tax returns, pointing to her decision to lend her campaign $5 million earlier this year, and former President Bill Clinton’s $20 million payout from supermarket holding company Yucaipa.

Clinton has promised to release the returns sometime after this year’s April 15 tax deadline, just a few days before Pennsylvania’s April 22 primary.

“Senator Clinton recently claimed that she’s ‘the most transparent figure in public life,’ yet she’s dragging her feet in releasing something as basic as her annual tax returns,” Obama’s communications director, Robert Gibbs, said in a statement. “Senator Clinton can’t claim to be vetted until she allows the public the opportunity to see her finances - particularly with respect to any investment in tax shelters.”

UPDATE: At a press conference Tuesday afternoon, Clinton announced that she would be moving up the release date of her tax returns, and might make the documents public within the week.

Related: Obama releases tax returns, challenges Clinton to follow suit

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. debra

Do I care what is in Hllarys tax returns. No I do not. I have already made a decision to vote for her and I will not change my mind. The only reason Obama wants the returns is so that he can have his attack dogs go over it with a fine toothed comb to use it to attack her. Just ignor them. Why play their game.

March 25, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  2. Lwanyaga

The Clintons have always had something to hide. You can't trust any of them. I wonder why the Public can't see this and we vote her out.

March 25, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. Brooklyn Democrat

No matter what you think of her, she certainly has chutzpah! When will we see Library donors and her tax returns?

March 25, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. vara

OBAMA NEEDS DIVERSION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP HIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 25, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  5. Beverly, Houston

She can't release them until she 'Doctors' them up

March 25, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. sunil de silva

I am a Democrat and was a strong supporter of Bill Clinton during his term as president and was shocked when the "Bushies" stole the election from Al Gore.
    For the past seven years I have watched in horror and sadness, the mess that George Bush has created not only in this country but around the world.
    However, I cannot stand by and not voice my concerns about Hilary Clinton and her lies, half truths and her attacks on Obama. I believe the Clintons will do anything to win the nomination and get to the White House. Imagine the possibility of fours years with Hilary and Bill in the background and the potential for four more!!!
    If she gets the nomination, I will vote republican and for McCain!

March 25, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  7. Cheryl

WOW. I absolutely want my vote back from Hillary Clinton. This combined with her enormous Bosnia lie has shown me she has no credibility whatsoever!

March 25, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. Educate Yourself

You go Obama.....Put them out there faster than it takes for the them to finish the sentence.

That's what I'm talking about.....Now Hils produce yours!!!!......You are being baited and you don't even know it.

March 25, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  9. Alonzo Demetrius, FL, USA

My question is, why in the world would Obama's wife not be proud to be an American when she was able to pay over $300,000 in taxes last year? Most Americans live on much less than the Obama's paid in taxes.

March 25, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  10. joe

obama,probably being told by oprah again! why don't she run herself instead of using obama?faat chance!

March 25, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  11. MJ

WOW! It is funny that these two collectivists should be having such a taxing affair... DON'T TAX ME BRO! I couldn't think of a lovelier couple. Thanks for letting us know about their trivialities.

March 25, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. C Glaeser

Refusal to release Hillary's tax returns – This is story that need to appear way more often that just once a week or so.... this is THE STORY which should LEAD every day, every night, non-ending until the Clinton's release their tax returns for the last several years..... there is WAY TOO much that we don't know about the source of Hillary's money...... she is running for PRESIDENT – if she won't be open & honest about how they went from well-off to super rich; well, that is a BIG PROBLEM... I'm hoping there is nothing there – but the longer they dig in, the longer they stall – the more it smells...... she shouldn't be able to even stall to April 15 – the people have a right to know.... if she wanted her tax returns kept private, she shouldn't have run for President of the United States..... do you think there is any chance that she is filing separately – would the Clinton's try to be that crafty as to think that would solve the income stream problem??

March 25, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Raf

What is she hiding? What possible reason would she have to postpone releasing her returns? I have a feeling it's something exploitable by her opponents, and I can't wait.

March 25, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  14. The Truth

Nothing Hillary presents is real. Google The Clinton Chronices for the truth CNN

March 25, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  15. Talimee

This is dumb. Get back to the issues.

March 25, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  16. KevinPop

Hillary needs to release 2006 tax returns. We need to see what happened to the Dubai funds and the Clinton library fund sources.

March 25, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  17. Rico

Ouch! +1 Obama.

March 25, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  18. Sad day for the Dems

Tax returns really aren't a big deal unless you refuse to release them

March 25, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  19. Kim in GA

Hillary has lied so much, it doesn't even surprise me anymore, I expect it.

March 25, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  20. 007.75

Unless there is something unusual about the candidates returns, who cares? What next, FICO scores?

March 25, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  21. Raum

I can't stop laughing at the Clinton campaign today. They just keep making her look worse and worse.

March 25, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  22. briggette duque

YOU REALLY NEVER KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT FROM HILARY THESE DAYS. ALL I CAN SAY IS HER LYING ABOUT HER TRIP DOGGING BULLETS .A LIE IS A LIE. AND NOW SHE WON'T RELEASE HER TAX RETURNS. EVERY LIE IS REVEALED IN DUE TIME. I THOUGHT OUR COUNTRY WAS TIRED OF THE SAME OLD POLITICS. DIDN'T WE HAVE ENOUGH LIES FROM GEORGE BUSH????????? THE MEDIA IS PAYING OBAMAS EX-PASTOR OVER AND OVER.... A 5 YEAR OLD SERMON I MAY ADD. THE MAN HAS ISSUES. THOSE ISSUES AREN'T OBAMAS.AND EVERYO
    NE FORGETS HIS MOTHER IS WHITE. AND I UNDERSTOOD WHAT HE MEANT ABOUT HIS GRANDMOTHER BEING AFRAID OF A BLACK MAN WALKING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET. YOU WOULDN'T GET IT EXECPT IF YOU'VE BEEN ON THE WRONG SIDE OF TOWN AT NIGHT OR EVEN MIDDAY.ANOTHER THING, LAST MONTH, WHEN OBAMA AND HILARY WERE IN TEXAS. HE CAMPAINED HARD AND EVEN STAYED TO SEE THE OUTCOME. AND MISLEAD THE LATINO VOTE . THEY THOUGHT OBAMA DIDN'T CARE AS MUCH.WHILE HIARY MOVED ON SINCE MISSIPPI WAS MAJORITY BLACK SHE DIDN'T THINK THAY COUNTED.

March 25, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  23. Asian's from Obama to Hillary

I 'll vote for change when it comes to November. I was suppoter for Obama. The more I learn about this guy, the more I do NOT TRUST HIM. His minister is a disgrace! How could Obama broguht his whole to the same church where the the MAN of GOD preahces hates to American and the white race!

I am very disappointed of him. I voted for him OH primary, now I regret it.

Yes, He misspoke about the his Church and His friend-minister.

He's FAKE! A LIAR! A HYPOCRITE!

March 25, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  24. Debra

good job

March 25, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  25. mike

Is the pastor one of his dependents?

March 25, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |