March 26th, 2008

Clinton, Obama take aim at John McCain

CNN

Watch Obama’s criticism of John McCain Wednesday

(CNN) – Democrats Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, engaged in an increasingly brutal war of words, directed some of their verbal fire power this week at presumptive Republican nominee John McCain – who immediately fought back.

On Wednesday, the Obama campaign took aim at both of McCain’s major policy speeches. At a campaign event in North Carolina, Obama said the McCain’s economic address “offered not one policy, not one idea, not one bit of relief… We’ve been down this road before. It’s the road that George Bush has taken for the last eight years.”

In a statement released later Wednesday afternoon, Obama spokesman Bill Burton said “John McCain is determined to carry out four more years of George Bush's failed policies, including an open-ended war in Iraq that has cost us thousands of lives and billions of dollars while making us less safe.”

Hillary Clinton has also spent the past two days tying McCain to Bush on foreign policy, telling a Pennsylvania audience that the Arizona senator’s policies represented “four more years of the same.”

The McCain campaign released a statement in response to Obama’s criticism of his economic policies, saying, “Senator Obama’s blatant mischaracterizations aren’t the new politics he’s promised America, they’re the old attack and smear tactics that Americans are tired of.”

McCain also took an indirect hit at the Democratic candidates in his foreign policy in Los Angeles, saying that withdrawal from Iraq – a position advocated by both of his potential fall opponents – would result in “horrendous violence, ethnic cleansing and possibly genocide.”

Related: Suzanne Malveaux reports on Obama's return to the campaign trail

–CNN’s Emily Sherman

1. Hillary's New Math

HILLARY'S NEW MATH

Let's strong-arm the super delegates into voting for me because I'm behind in the delegate count, the populous count, and the state count.

Let's manipulate Obama into recognizing Fl and MI, even though he followed the DNC rules, and you broke them.

Let's pretend the primaries don't count and focus on the general election, where the electoral votes are king. I have the most electoral votes, if we don't factor in McCain.

Hell, let's forget about all this election stuff, and just pronounce me QUEEEN HILLARY.

Gee, Hillary, I'm so glad the new math is working for you—NOT.

March 26, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  2. Hillary's New Math Skills

HILLARY'S NEW MATH

Let's forget manipulate Obama into recognizing Fl and MI, even though he followed the DNC rules, and has nothing to do with whether or not, the two states are counted.

Let's pretend the primaries don't count and focus on the general election, where the electoral votes are king. I have the most electoral votes, except we haven't factored in MCCAIN.

Gee, Hillary, I'm so glad the new math is working for you—NOT.

March 26, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  3. american eagle

Bush is not running for President. And McCain is not Bush. Deal with it.

March 26, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  4. Paul

I support whoever will end the bloodshed in iraq and bring our troops home. The iraqi's dont care about us or our economy, why should we care about theirs.

March 26, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  5. Willy

If you are a grandmother then get out of the way! or you'll get thrown under a bus,

March 26, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  6. THEA SCHLOSSER

THE GAME IS NOT OVER UNTILL IT IS OVER .
    AMERICA HAS 50 STATES AND EVERY BODY NEEDS BE BE HEARD .
    WHAT IS ALL THIS NONE SENSE NOT WAITNG UNTIL EVERYBODY HAS VOTED .
    AS FARE AS SUPER DELEGATES GO , THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON .
    RICHARDSON AT ONE TIME ONE OF MY FAVORITE POLETION ,NOW I HAVE VERY LITTLE RESPECKT LEFT .
    I DO NOT TREAT MY FRIENDS LIKE YOU DID .
    OBAMA IS NOTHING THEN A PROBLEM MAKER ,GOES TO A CHURCH WHERE AMERICA IS NO GOOD HIS CHILDREN GO THERE .
    IF SENATOR CLINTON WOULD WOULD HAVE DON SAMETHING LIKE THAT ,SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN DESTROID BY THE BLACKS AND THE GOVERMENT
    SAMETHING IS OUT OF WAK HERE ,OBAMA THE LEAST QUILIFIED IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT ,SENATOR CLINTON WHO DOES AND HAS RECIEVED MUCH WOERSE PTRESS ,THE BLACKS WOULD LINCH HER AND RECHARDSON WOULD GIVE THE OK .
    IOBAMA HAS TO PROOF MUCH MORE THEN A HOPEFULL AND GOOD SPEACH TO WINN THE WHITE HOUSE .
    I GIVE A GOOD SPEACH SO I WAS TOLD ,DOES THAT QUALIFY ME AS SAME ONE MORE THEN ANY ONE ELSE .
    OBAMA AND RICHARDSON HAVE SAME THING IN CALMEN ,OBAMA KNOWS HOW TO HATE AND RICHARDSON KNOWS SAME ONE TO LOVE -BUT WHERE COMES OUR BELOVED AMERICA IN PLAY .RICHARDSON KNOWS ALSO HOW TO TAKE ADVANTEGE OF PEOPLE AND PAY THEM BACK WITH INSULTS .

March 26, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  7. TheLeftNut

And it's about time!

March 26, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  8. Margie Miller

McCain is not well. All comments about his age and his health are ignored.

If he dies in office his vice-president will take over as president. So far, we don't have a clue who that would be.

Plus, McCain would just continue the failed Bush policies. The war s about to cost us an arm and a leg and McCain wants to continue it indefinitely. We have lost over 4,000 soldiers and 29,000 severely injured soldiers.

No matter which candidate wins the nomination, we should vote for the Democratic candidate.

McCain would be a catastrophe. He admits knowing nothing about economics and little more about foreign affairs. We already have one know-nothing president. We certainly do not need another.

March 26, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  9. MAX STEVENSON

THE OBAMA HATERS ARE THE REAL MINORITY HERE IN AMERICA

Lets go OBAMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    THE MAJORITY OF AMERICA STILL SUPPORTS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 26, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  10. Another typical white woman

We can still have a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket.

They are both good people with great ideas and tremendous power and ideas to truly change our country for the better.

Let's forget about the tabloid journalism that's pulling us apart and work for a unified party that kicks the butts out of Washington that put us here in the first place.

March 26, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  11. Talimee

I just saw two speeches of Obama attacking McCain. These are my comments:

1. His comment that we need to get back into Afghanistan: Well guess what, you had tools in your power to pressure NATO to do its job in Afghanistan. You never held ONE oversight meeting!!!! Not even one. Shame of you Obama. NATO has been a failure in Afghanistan and if you are so disgruntled by the way we have been behaving in Afghanistan you could have started there.

2. His comment that we need to use billions of dollars that are being used in Iraq in the country: Iraq is creating a DEFICIT. TRILLION of dollars. Come up with ways to have fiscal responsability, not keep creating trillion dollar deficits. Thank you.

3. His comment that McCain offered no solutions/ideas: Guess what... YOU havent either. Stop piggy backing on someone else's effort like you did in Illinios. Senator Dodd (even though he supports you) is not entirely sure how involved you were helping him up with the bill he is sponsoring. He had one conversation in which you were engaged, THAT's it. Come up with solutions... oh wait, your speech writers havent finished coming up with it.

4. His comment that he is going to take immediate action ONCE he is President: We need the HELP NOW!!!!! If we wait until you supposedly will be sworn in as President in January 2009, there will be so many homes in the market that it will take YEARS to get out of here.

Ok, I'll stop here, but have sooooooo many more. I should listen to his speeches more often... wow, he really is an empty suit.

March 26, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  12. THEA SCHLOSSER

OBAMA RECIEVES MONEY FROM THE RICH SPORTS PLAYERS AS WELL AS FROM OTHERS .
    OBAMA I WISH I COULD VOTE FOR YOU ,BUT MY TRUST IN YOU IS NOT THERE ,IT WAS BEFORE I HURD ABOUT YOUR MINISTER .
    THAT IS TO MUCH HATE FOR ME .
    I FEEL THAT OUR GOVERMENT HAS OPEND THE DOORS TO EVERYBODY .
    I CAME FROM EUROPE ,I HAD TO START WITH NOTHING ,NOT EVEN ENGLISH .
    IN 6 YEARS WE HAD 5 HOMES ,AND A YEAR LATER WE STARTED OUR OWN METAL FARICATION ,6 YEARS LATER ,I BECAME THE OWNER OF SANTA BARBARA CAMERA IN S. B. CA.
    THE POINT I AM MAKINK ,WE HAVE TO WORK HARD AND EVEN WHEN WE GET NOT THE BEST JOBS ,WE WHERE SO HAPPY WHEN AMERICA OPEND HER ARMS AND TOOK US IN .
    IT IS THE COUNTRY OF HOPE AND APERTUNITIES AND NO OBAMA OR MC CAIN SHOULD DESTROY WHAT OUR FOR VOTHERS BIULD UP WITH GREAT POLITICIANS INCLUDING PRESIDENT CLINTON .

March 26, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  13. mark

lets see, jose gets his comment posted and hes hispanic. willie gets his comment posted and hes black oh i see iam white i get it cnn SUCKS! GO FOX!

March 26, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  14. Rose from CT

I would love to see a debate between John McCain and Hillary Clinton and another debate with McCain and Obama. This would be helpful in finally answering the question: Who can stand up against McCain. Since Obama and Clinton are speaking out against McCain, a debate would be helpful to voters.

March 26, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  15. Joe

If Obama is the democratic candidate, I predict McCain will be the victor.

March 26, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  16. Mickey, NY

McCain is garbage just like Bush...Go ahead and waste your vote on someone who spent 6 1/2 years locked in a bamboo cage.

March 26, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  17. stag

Go BHO. Got to love the guy because he has explained in great detail and with specificity his plan.

March 26, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  18. BL-NYC

You know...
    We still have not heard one plan from Senator Obama!!! A lot of putting everyone else down but nothing at all to back it up...
    Is the whole hype based on his speeches? I am pretty sure it is and I am also pretty sure that if he was ever elected, we would be in for a four year speech!!!
    He is just not ready to Govern our Nation...

March 26, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  19. Dylan John

Uh Mike... have you heard?

Obama STILL leads John McCain in the head-to-head matchup and STILL leads Hillary among Democrats? Not to mention votes, states and delegates. Why is he still here? BECAUSE HE'S STILL WINNING!

March 26, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  20. tessa

HOLY CRAP... I am so sick and tired of dem's going against dems. Folks saying that if their democratic nominee doesn't win, they are voting for McCain or nothing at all. I really hope that once a nominee is picked that people are able to look past their their personal feelings and all the nastiness and vote for the party that represents them.

I was extremely disappointed that last two elections when Bush won but it's more disappointing to read/hear about people within the democratic party berate each other. I support Obama and as much as I don't like Hilary, I will vote for her if she is the nominee as I DO NOT want McCain in office.

March 26, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  21. cnn #1 fan

HEY WILLY, the reason you cannot tell them apart is because OBAMA was the "I agree guy " when the debates were taking place. HILLARY in the hot seat providing answers and SOLUTIONS FOR AMERICA and Barach on the side being fed grapes by the reporters...

HOW LAX....

THIS country needs a leader that can do both motivate and lead yet not letting us be distracted with all the nonsense the media has helped boost over the last few weeks.

I have tried to debate with Obama supporters and most of them cannot tell me WHY they are supporting OBAMA. All they say is "He is Change".. That's it! Change like what?, like he's black??... "Ummm, yeah"... PLEASE GET REAL!!!!

March 26, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  22. FB

Not sure how you can "misspeak" in a prepared, typed up speach...twice.

March 26, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  23. Martin M. Ervin

This nation will never be as great as we should or can because of idiots. We are misinformed and only believe what’s broadcasted in the media. American’s hear a few blurbs from a few sermons then believe this Pastor hates America, if you honestly believe that Rev. Wright preached a message of “Hate” for 20 years you’re a fool.

March 26, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  24. Educated

Wow, all these comments really show the lack of education of what I hope isn't an average sampling of the American public. Think for yourselves, read and listen with questioning ears. Look at all the attempts to thwart Obama, and I can only hope it won't work. Hillary with her lies and her insatiable lust for power, McCain the war hawk and his ties to Bush. Wow, can people really be shocked Obama attended an African American church that is frustrated by the racial history in America? All this race stuff lately just proves that the frustration is real and alive...

Get over it... Obama is the rightful nominee. Thankfully, an educated well spoken politician. It's about time!

March 26, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  25. mark

WILLY AND JOSE DONT GIVE UP YOUR PEOPLE NEED TO HEAR THE TRUTH, IAM A WHITE DEMOCRAT McCAIN NO QUEATION ABOUT IT. SECURITY IS NUMBER ONE IN THIS COUNTRY HEAKTH CARE AND TAXES DONT MEAN NOTHING WHEN THOSE THUGS AL QUEADA IS TRYING TO DESTROY ALL AMERICANS AND MUSLIMS. THEY WANT TO KILL YOUR MOTHER,FATHER SISTER,BROTHER AND KIDS. REPUBLICANS,DEMOCRATS,LIBERALS WAKE UP BEFORE ITS TO LATE.

March 26, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |