March 26th, 2008

Obama pastor cancels scheduled appearances

Video clips of some of Wright's sermons have caused an uproar.
Video clips of some of Wright's sermons have caused an uproar.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Sen. Barack Obama's controversial former pastor, has canceled his plans to speak at church services in Houston, Texas, this weekend in the wake of the recent uproar over portions of his past sermons.

Video clips of those sermons caused a public stir this month after being widely circulated on the Internet.

The clips in question include several racially charged statements and accusations the U.S. government has adopted policies to systematically oppress African-Americans.

Full story

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. DT

I have watched all of his controversial statements. I still haven't found a racist one. Can someone quote a line of his exactly and then explain why it's racist?

March 26, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. The truth hurts

danny in califas – no idiot I'm quoting what bin laden said to let you know your an idiot. Oh, I guess you believe that he dislikes you and your culture right. How stupid. No idiot the greatest crime was when the european came to America and slaughtered millions of Indians. Oh I forgot you are an idiot you wouldn't care about that, what let me see slavery, nope you don't care about that, let me see nuked japan, no not that either, Iraq, no not that either. Bin Laden killed 3000 people, Your government killed, (wait they won't even post that count) but the Iraq government said close to a million Iraq's have been killed since the war started.

What an idiot you are.

March 26, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. Susanne

I guess the upsetting thing for me is wondering, did Obama's children hear those sermons ? Is this what they are being taught?

March 26, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. GOBAMA '08

Yes we can

March 26, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  5. kathy in ohio

From the Wright-written eulogy for scholar Asa Hilliard in the December 2007 edition of the Trumpet magazine: "[Jesus'] enemies had their opinion about Him ... The Italians, for the most part, looked down their garlic noses at the Galileans."

After calling Jesus' crucifixion "a public lynching Italian-style" executed in "Apartheid Rome," he goes on to claim that white supremacists run the U.S. government:

"The government runs everything from the White House to the schoolhouse; from the Capitol to the Klan, white supremacy is clearly in charge, but Asa, like Jesus, refused to be defined by an oppressive government, because Asa got his identity from an omnipotent God."

All this was written before his friend and former parishioner vaulted to the front of the Democratic pack — and before Obama denounced his previous comments on race, AIDS, etc.

March 26, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  6. The truth hurts

boisei – Thanks, I agree he is a racist because everybody is a racist. O.J. proved that. America proves that everyday. You can be the most liberal hearted person but if someone from another race does something to you then bam! a bad word is coming!!!!!!

I heard the Clinton's used racist words as well. I actually met Bill (great guy) but yes a racist too. Just like everybody else.

March 26, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |