March 26th, 2008

Obama pastor cancels scheduled appearances

Video clips of some of Wright's sermons have caused an uproar.
Video clips of some of Wright's sermons have caused an uproar.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Sen. Barack Obama's controversial former pastor, has canceled his plans to speak at church services in Houston, Texas, this weekend in the wake of the recent uproar over portions of his past sermons.

Video clips of those sermons caused a public stir this month after being widely circulated on the Internet.

The clips in question include several racially charged statements and accusations the U.S. government has adopted policies to systematically oppress African-Americans.

Full story

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. larry grimberg

Here is the truth many of you do not want to hear: OBAMA IS UNELECTABLE AND WILL MAKE UNELECTABLE ANYBODY THAT RUNS WITH HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Democratic Party (and I mean the true Dems and not those just drinking from Obama Kool-Aid for the season) has to start dealing with this fact ASAP!!!!

Otherwise.......WELCOME PRESIDENT MCCAIN!!

March 26, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  2. Sharon Columbia, SC

Why do we care and how does this relate to politics? Unless I missed something, the last time I check this man was not on the ballot for the presidential nomination. No matter how you all try to discredit Senator Obama you need to be talking about the "fact" that if Senator Clinton somehow gets the nomination the problems she will face. Starting with how she "won't" carry the African American vote, the majority of the college voters, new voters, nor will she carry the upscale (suburbanite) democrate vote. How about how she is and will destroy any possible unity that we demoncrates may have. I've seen Senator Clinton in many different forms some positive and some negative but I have never seen her as a party uniter. If this happens then who do you think will be more electable?

March 26, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  3. Jim

How much more don't we know about Obama? When will we find out more disturbing information about Obama that will make him lose in November if he becomes the nominee?

For many, it's too late for Obama since no one can change his past.

March 26, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Dee JAY in miami

Hillary's pastor personally supports Rev. Wright. What does that say about him?

March 26, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Andrew, NO

This board is full of idiots. and the people who moderate this board are even dumber for moderating it effectively enough to keep out this garbage. get back to the issues that the candidates and media choose to ignore. this is all a disgrace.

March 26, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. Oh! The Irony

Seems like we have some very racist Hillary supporters. Thanks for making my decision that much easier if Obama was to lose the nomination.

March 26, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  7. docrock,tx

Lets' see,four postins on this one article by Obama backer"the truth hurts",zero for myself and four others that have posted TWENTY SIX times to support Hillary.Wow!!No one can say you don't have a balanced blog.I suppose hate and illiteracy have more "American Idol/Brittany Spears" excitement.So much for " Journalistic integrity ".We have a private bet going among ourselves as to who gets posted first.Spam you later!!

March 26, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. jim

I think that the Obama camp is trying to keep him away from the media
    there are to many things that could hurt Barack Obama if his pastor really speaks his mind. Look if asked if Barack was there while he had preeched Hatred well we all now that he was ,but it still would look bad for Obama.

Look the Obama camp had Made race the number one thing they tried to get Bill Clinton On, and the Media ran with it like always .
    Look your all thinking well if we have a Black president wouldn't it bring us all toegther? Not a chance there have been to many things said that just shows me that the media as well as corprate America has made some type of deal with the Obama camp just like the NAFTA deal with Canada.

March 26, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. David

Hey folks, this is a big deal that we're talking about. President of the United States is not something to take lightly. I'm sure there are a lot of Clinton supporters who feel that Obama has gotten a lot of undeserved positive press.

So those of you who are willing to condemn Rev. Wright and by extension Barack Obama, do your civic duty: listen to an entire sermon before you jump to conclusions. Don't let Fox News shape your opinons by appealing to your fears over your intelligence. Don't let some talk radio right winger manipulate you with ten seconds of crazy talk. Show your intelligence. Don't let them fool you.

March 26, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. Andrew, NO

This board is full of idiots. and the people who moderate this board are even dumber for not moderating it effectively enough to keep out this garbage. get back to the issues that the candidates and media choose to ignore. this is all a disgrace.

March 26, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  11. Peter Eisenberg, PA

. . .FOX(FAUX) news, MSNBC. HEADLINE NEWS, and sometimes CNN doesn't deserve to interview Rev. Wright, He should appear on CSPAN, at least you will get the truth.

March 26, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  12. V from St. Louis

OK THIS HAS TO STOP SOMEWHERE... THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY WILL BE SPLIT IN TWO IF WE CONTINUE ON THIS PATH. THE MEDIA IS FEEDING IT AND WE ARE JUST EATING IT UP; LIKE WE HAVE NO EDUCATION...

OBAMA OR HILLARY!!

(CNN probably wont post this... It is too much of a uniting Comment)

March 26, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. kathleen "a typical white person" for OBAMA/EDWARDS 2008

I love Obama. Will Never Vote for Hillary.
    Fox News has trashed Democrats and especially Obama..
    Oh, my God, take those People off the air. Hannity, Ann Coulter
    Rush Limbaugh, Carl Rove (who has been hired by Fox.) Can you believe they actually pay Rove a salary? Can
    you believe Carl Rove newsworthy? What in the hell do they
    have to say about anything.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 26, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  14. Donna from NY

CNN-
    Could you please focus on the REAL ISSUES of this campaign? When are you going to stop distracting your audience with this garbage?

The media has a responsibility to fulfill in this election. Instead of flaming the fires of division and racism, you should be informing people about the issues. This is more National Inquirer stuff than real news.

CNN_
    DO YOUR JOB!!
    ACT RESPONSIBLY!
    REPORT THE REAL ISSUES!

March 26, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. sean davis

Shouldn't the headline read Obama's former pastor? I think the truth should be presented and printed everytime CNN runs a story!
    If you,CNN don't clearly represent the facts, why should I continue to use you as my news source! The headline is a lie!, so is the rest of the article a lie too?

Sean

March 26, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. CClaudia

That's right Wright. If I were you I would be embarrased to show my face also. Bring proud is one thing, spewing hatred, sexism and prejudice is extremely hypocritical.

But then again, you are not running for office, the man who sat in your pews for 20 years did and he will NEVER GET MY VOTE.

March 26, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. Pat

CNN
    I've been crushed by the revelations of Senator Obama's partiality of one race over another. He's spent the past 20 years trying to embed himself in the African American Community, not by just attending a Black Radical Church but, by joining, that church, and adopting a minsister he knew had close ties with Lou Farahkan, who he knew had Black Islamic Extremist ties.. My grandparents both said racial things. I could never turn my back on one race for another.

People are afraid of black men, because they know they commit by far the most crime. It's a known fact...even my black grandmother had that fear. I would neverrrrr consider abandoning one race for the other, and believe it shows the worse possible judgement for Senator Obama, that he has done so. How can he possibly expect not to be seen as racist or to become the leader of our Country, WHERE ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL. He has made that impossible through both his actions, and his WORDS.. His entire candicacy has been a Scam.

I'm bi-racial, and feel as such I have a valid point to make.

March 26, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. Time 4 Action

Some white americans will never get it if they continue to be closed-minded.

Ignorance plagues this country, people hear something then make their own uneducated guesses. Some of these post make sense, but the majority of them are pure ignorance and a reflection of the AMERICAN SOCIETY. That is why things are the way they are. Most of you people are dispalying the ignorance of this society.

Rev. Wright said nothing wrong, is not a racist, and is pro-america. The America that works for all poeple of course.

March 26, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  19. Ben

Wow...so I guess Obama's pastor spoke against the government every Sunday for 17 years. I know that is probably not what your saying but that is the way it sounds; if you do believe that I don't know what to tell you. I was raised in a Baptist church, my grandmother was a Sunday school teacher. She always told me to listen to what the pastor was saying but to draw my own conclusions. The words written in the Bible are what matters not a pastors interpretation. We all have our own minds. I watched our President year ago, stand up in front of the whole nation and tell us why it was necessary to go to war. I watched....I listened....but I still, was not convinced. You know why? Because even though I sat at home and listened to what he had to say; even though I watched his speech over and over again on various TV stations; I still came to my own conclusion about what was right and what was wrong. I didn't get up and walk away from my TV like so many expected Obama to stand up and walk away from his church because I am an American and Bush is my President, like it or not. Maybe listening to some of the sermons by Pastor Wright helped Obama realize that there are still a lot of people disgruntled about Americas past and present; that we don't understand each other
    along racial lines as much as we may think. But if we can work together and find solutions to our differences, we can make America great. Is that not what Obama has been talking about for over a year and 20 debates? Maybe Pastor Wrights speeches helped Obama realize exactly what is and will continue to rip this country apart at the seams. Yet we question his patriotism. None of us can become better parents,friends,neighbors,employees,employers...etc if we can't take criticism, no matter if it is right or wrong. Its hard to be criticized, its hard to be pushed out of our comfort zones, but that is the only way we get better and it is the only way for America to become better for all.

March 26, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. jon f.

william procanick was the Clinton's pastor and he is really going through a situation. he is being a accused of child molestation. wow!!!
    Rev. Wright has not been charged with anything.

March 26, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  21. Cathy

My question to Senator Clinton, "now that your own minister supports Rev. Wright, will you disown Minister Snyder."

This is just out of of control. I have listened that that 40 min sermon (twice) (Confusing God and Government) and it's an excellent sermon. Those sound bites are nothing to the true meaning of the sermon.

Obama should be commended not condemned for his actions regarding Rev. Wright. His actions shows that Obama won't disown the American People when things get rough in the White House. I believe both Clinton and McCain have proven that they would throw anyone "under the bus" to get a nomination. No thank you!

March 26, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  22. Tim

Rev. Wright is a sinner and anyone who supports him or Obama are also sinners in their own right. Please repent and turn away from hate towards white people. We are really nice people. No need to fear us.

March 26, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  23. bobt, NY

Good riddance to bad rubbish

Let him cancel forever.

Certainly Obama don't need this guy.

March 26, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  24. Thomas

"According to a Gallup Poll released Wednesday, 28 percent of Clinton supporters may break ranks to back McCain in November should Obama capture the Democratic nomination.

Meanwhile, 19 percent of Obama supporters say they will favor McCain should Clinton be the party's nominee. "

This is why Obama will lose the GE

Hillary or McCane 08'

March 26, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  25. J

It's funny how when you say intollerant, devisive, and terribly slanted things in public that you start fearing for your safefy. Society would be better off if he never said another public thing.

March 26, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |